The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I’m not sure I see anyone revelling in anyone’s death, at least I hope not. I think most of us hope that anyone who thinks their immune system is their safety net against Covid will see the risk they are taking for their own health and the health of others. 

Get vaccinated and we don’t need to talk about passports and freedoms. Get vaccinated because it’s the one thing that you can do to help your community. 

Probably not revelling.  But more like apathy?  Like ... do not care anymore if anti-vaxxers die because they themselves chose not to take a life saving vaccine.  Much like the gun violence in the USA.   After so much news of it happening everyday, you become numb to it.

And trying to convince anti-vaxxers is like talking to a wall.  Nothing will change until they lose someone close to them.  And even then, they might not change their mind.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Legislation being mulled that would allow businesses to dictate whether or not they will allow non vaccinated people in to their establishments.  People claiming this is government overreach or communism; reinforcing the belief that the education system has failed us.

For my part, when this purely capitalist move goes through, allowing business to enforce this without government intervention; I shall go to 7-11 and screech about my freedom while trying to buy a slushie without wearing shoes or shirt and demanding service regardless

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Legislation being mulled that would allow businesses to dictate whether or not they will allow non vaccinated people in to their establishments.  People claiming this is government overreach or communism; reinforcing the belief that the education system has failed us.

For my part, when this purely capitalist move goes through, allowing business to enforce this without government intervention; I shall go to 7-11 and screech about my freedom while trying to buy a slushie without wearing shoes or shirt and demanding service regardless

Don't forget the Buffalo chicken taquito.

1 hour ago, EOTM said:

It doesn't force anything. Choices have consequences to them. Nobody has to get the vaccine because of a passport just like nobody has to fly because they want to travel.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I definitely agree in principal regarding the free market choice, but to what degree?

If you live in a 'free' country where you can't go to the grocery store to feed your family w/o documents of an (emergency authorized) injection, then maybe the modern communists have a point? or realistically your just treading along the same lines.

I don't even mean that comment to be a pro or anti vax thing, but... Idk we just live in bizarro world right now. 

(To level with you; I personally think - in principal / philosophically - the 'vax-ports' are amoral, but I also understand the communal benefit with getting everyone possible vaccinated. I just doubt whether this ends right now even with an 'optimal' vax rate, as opposed to having to wait this thing out even longer w/ more restrictions & shots pushed along the way)

Edited by Smashian Kassian

19 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I don't agree or disagree outright with the need for a vaccine passport, but just pointing out that your logic works both ways.

Surprising to see some of the places that already have a vaccine passport in place. It’s called a Fox Clear Pass and is provided to fully vaccinated employees.

71BD97B1-C050-46EB-A959-8A4A5FAAFAC8.jpeg

39E2AB31-0E90-4DB8-A29F-3E9C3F81EB96.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Hippy explain to me this logic...  so if you get vaccinated you're still able to contract Covid and transmit it, right?  Especially when talking about new strains that will be endless.  So how does restricting businesses to vaccinated people accomplish anything?  

If vaccinated people are safe out in public, then please come and talk to my building and explain to them that masks shouldn't be mandatory anymore for vaccinated people. 

40 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't even mean that comment to be a pro or anti vax thing, but... Idk we just live in bizarro world right now. 

We DO live in a bizzaro world where people feel threatened to even have a dialogue about this.  

Explaining to a co-worker that he can't be afraid of a vaccine if he's not afraid of Covid provided me with a more open minded person, surprisingly, then some people online that attack you for even bringing up a view that doesn't 100% align with theirs.  

13 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

We DO live in a bizzaro world where people feel threatened to even have a dialogue about this.  

Explaining to a co-worker that he can't be afraid of a vaccine if he's not afraid of Covid provided me with a more open minded person, surprisingly, then some people online that attack you for even bringing up a view that doesn't 100% align with theirs.  

I agree completely. Its dialogue part - or lack thereof - thats alarming to me. I realize there's some ppl that won't be convinced either way, but ultimately they aren't the point (also the unwillingness for dialogue only galvanizes them IMO). There's a divide going on with this that I don't like.

At this point there's uncertainty with both the long term effects of the vaccines & long haul covid. As much as people can be concerned about the unknowns of the vaccines (fair enough), you also have to take into account the potentially long term effects of the virus.

At this point thats something I'm definitely concerned about. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Essentially sums up the upvote brigade on these forums.. where if you go even against the grain or established narrative you're deemed a nut job or stupid..

To make themselves feel superior they upvotes each others posts to quail rebellion. 

To think -DLC- was lecturing us that Canucks policy states vaccines and mask mandates and we should all adhere to that like as if we work for the Canucks on these forums... 

Edited by drummer4now
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I definitely agree in principal regarding the free market choice, but to what degree?

If you live in a 'free' country where you can't go to the grocery store to feed your family w/o documents of an (emergency authorized) injection, then maybe the modern communists have a point? or realistically your just treading along the same lines.

(To level with you; I personally think - in principal / philosophically - the 'vax-ports' are amoral, but I also understand the communal benefit with getting everyone possible vaccinated. I just doubt whether this ends right now even with an 'optimal' vax rate, as opposed to having to wait this thing out even longer w/ more restrictions & shots pushed along the way)

My question would be who said that a vaccine passport meant you couldn't get groceries to feed your family? My other question would be what about in 2 months when it's approved and no longer emergency use? Does the argument change because the vaccine sure didn't. Too many people I think don't know what emergency use authorization actually means. The fda policy for example they still determine if something meets its criteria based on the scientific evidence but they do so without all of the red tape involved in a regular approval. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, EOTM said:

My question would be who said that a vaccine passport meant you couldn't get groceries to feed your family? My other question would be what about in 2 months when it's approved and no longer emergency use? Does the argument change because the vaccine sure didn't. Too many people I think don't know what emergency use authorization actually means. The fda policy for example they still determine if something meets its criteria based on the scientific evidence but they do so without all of the red tape involved in a regular approval. 

I always like to ask the question to us nice Canadians “how many previous decisions have you made in your life based on different classifications of the US FDA?”  Chances are if not an American doctor, 0.  This is just rationalizing a choice that was already made. 
Vaccine passport would mean no such thing. Curb side pickup still available and would be more appropriate for someone who doesn’t want to be a part of a population based solution to the problem. 

11 hours ago, aliboy said:

When it comes to forest fires, so climate change, scientists are now warning of "The Day After Tomorrow" scenario, right here.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/06/world/climate-gulf-stream-collapse-warning-study-intl/index.html

The trigger would likely be the insane ice melt taking place in Greenland right now, here.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/greenland-experienced-massive-ice-melt-this-week-scientists-say-2021-07-30/

Scientist don't know where the tipping point is but if we hit it, look out!!

I don't think we're that far away from the tipping point. We're getting our first rainfall in close to 50 days, and I'm still considering putting my sprinkler on because the temp is heading up to the low 30's again.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, gurn said:

Mosiac has a capacity of 33,000

Not many masks visible in that crowd, and two Edmonton ELKS are in covid protocol. Many of the players on the sidelines weren't fully covered, most of the coaching staff were, but man that sea of green was looking pretty scary.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hippy explain to me this logic...  so if you get vaccinated you're still able to contract Covid and transmit it, right?  Especially when talking about new strains that will be endless.  So how does restricting businesses to vaccinated people accomplish anything?  

If vaccinated people are safe out in public, then please come and talk to my building and explain to them that masks shouldn't be mandatory anymore for vaccinated people. 

When the top 5 symptoms for the vaccinated are these and rarely anything severe in the respiratory system that should be enough of an answer. "contracting Covid" is a broad statement probably by design. When there are chunks of the population that can't be vaccinated this becomes a real issue because they don't get the choice and should have their rights infringed because someone thinks that choices don't come with consequences.

file-20210708-15-1yzt7j7.png

Edited by EOTM

2 hours ago, EOTM said:

Good questions. I was just asking to what degree, I doubt it'll go that far myself but I guess the restrictions will have to be decided if/when this comes into affect. I agree with @Warhippy that an organization like the Canucks are well within their right to mandate vaccinations for entrance to games next year, for example.

Regarding approval I guess those folks will have a decision to make, and I doubt it'll be changing their mind.

I get the sense, atleast with some of the discourse anyways, that some vaccinated people almost view the unvaccinated as the only hurdle to regaining their freedoms. I understand their frustration but I have doubt that the finish line is so clear. (Tho I could definitely be wrong)

Do we have a current benchmark for herd immunity?

One of my friends, unvaxxed (I'm healthy I'll be fine), has been sick for three days, got her positive test results today.  I asked her where she thinks she picked it up......"I don't know, but I have a friend who is fully vaxxed and not feeling well, I think I got it from her"

She's been conspiracy tainted from day one and now her behaviour has caught up with her and she's looking to blame the vaccinated.  These bloody people

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Good questions. I was just asking to what degree, I doubt it'll go that far myself but I guess the restrictions will have to be decided if/when this comes into affect. I agree with @Warhippy that an organization like the Canucks are well within their right to mandate vaccinations for entrance to games next year, for example.

Regarding approval I guess those folks will have a decision to make, and I doubt it'll be changing their mind.

I get the sense, atleast with some of the discourse anyways, that some vaccinated people almost view the unvaccinated as the only hurdle to regaining their freedoms. I understand their frustration but I have doubt that the finish line is so clear. (Tho I could definitely be wrong)

Do we have a current benchmark for herd immunity?

Whether it, ultimately, ends up as the way out is irrelevant.  Currently it's the only chance we have to get out of it, so you put your big boy pants on (the generalized you) and you do what you need to do to help us get there.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I asked her where she thinks she picked it up......"I don't know, but I have a friend who is fully vaxxed and not feeling well, I think I got it from her"

She could be right, but likely not.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

One of my friends, unvaxxed (I'm healthy I'll be fine), has been sick for three days, got her positive test results today.  I asked her where she thinks she picked it up......"I don't know, but I have a friend who is fully vaxxed and not feeling well, I think I got it from her"

She's been conspiracy tainted from day one and now her behaviour has caught up with her and she's looking to blame the vaccinated.  These bloody people

Close minded people are funny. Too bad she’s stuck in a rut 

Edited by Devron44
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EOTM said:

When the top 5 symptoms for the vaccinated are these and rarely anything severe in the respiratory system that should be enough of an answer. "contracting Covid" is a broad statement probably by design. When there are chunks of the population that can't be vaccinated this becomes a real issue because they don't get the choice and should have their rights infringed because someone thinks that choices don't come with consequences.

file-20210708-15-1yzt7j7.png

Sounds like the vaccine's reduced it to the severity of the common cold.  Realistically, that's the result we were looking for.

• Cheers 3