The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I have a friend, who says wearing a mask is a democratic thing to force you against your will...etc.. Whenever I try to convince him otherwise, he just throws back at me that he wants to see the peer reviews.  I'm busy, so I tell him that I follow the experts such as Dr. Bonnie Henry, who has done the work. He poo-poos her as being in the lap of the big pharma or something. Very frustrating, but there is no convincing. Oh, he also says that the Sandy Hook shooting was faked.

Heh, didn't realize big pharma was behind all those homemade sewn masks.

14 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I have a friend, who says wearing a mask is a democratic thing to force you against your will...etc.. Whenever I try to convince him otherwise, he just throws back at me that he wants to see the peer reviews.  I'm busy, so I tell him that I follow the experts such as Dr. Bonnie Henry, who has done the work. He poo-poos her as being in the lap of the big pharma or something. Very frustrating, but there is no convincing. Oh, he also says that the Sandy Hook shooting was faked.

Don’t worry we all have ‘that’ friend :lol:

I have a friend who lives in Cali that is super against the 5G stuff Nd wearing masks that he claims restricts clean breathing lol

Sometimes gotta just smile and nod

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, wloutet said:

Tell him masks block the 5g mind control waves from entering through your oral cavity. Should do the trick.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, wloutet said:

That's a nonsensical explanation. Big Pharma makes it's money by curing illness, (or treating it's symptoms) not preventing it.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7119648/coronavirus-remdesivir-gilead-cost/

so, cooked, ruined lungs and some other organs, along with death isn't the limit for Covid damage:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/the-one-covid-19-side-effect-that-s-terrifying-people/ar-BB167lcr?ocid=spartan-dhp-feeds

While most of us are familiar with the physical manifestations of severe COVID-19 infections, there is one neurological side effect of the virus plaguing hospitalized patients in an unimaginable and tortuous way: delirium. Early on in the pandemic, doctors started noticing coronavirus patients of all ages, suffering from terrifying visions—some that have continued long after their physical symptoms subsided. 

Delirium isn't anything new, most commonly experienced by older patients with dementia. However, doctors maintain that coronavirus-induced delirium is next-level, impacting people of all ages without any previous cognitive impairment. According to reports from hospitals and researchers suggest that approximately two-thirds to three-quarters of coronavirus patients in ICU's are experiencing them in some capacity. The New York Times reports that some experience "hyperactive delirium," paranoid hallucinations and agitation, others have "hypoactive delirium," internalized visions and confusion that cause patients to become withdrawn and incommunicative, while the unlucky ones experience both. 

"Terrifying and Disorienting"

The publication also points out that aside from being "terrifying and disorienting," there can be other repercussions as a result, including extended hospital stays, slowing recovery, and an increased risk of developing depression or post-traumatic stress. Research has also found that previously healthy older patients with delirium can develop dementia sooner than they otherwise would have and have an increased chance of dying sooner as well. 

"There's increased risk for temporary or even permanent cognitive deficits," Dr. Lawrence Kaplan, director of consultation liaison psychiatry at the University of California, San Francisco Medical Center, explained to the NYT. "It is actually more devastating than people realize."

Why and how does COVID-19 provide the ingredients for delirium? According to experts, the recipe seems to include long stints on ventilators mixed with heavy sedatives and poor sleep. Other factors may include patients being mostly immobile, occasional restrainment to keep them from accidentally disconnecting tubes, and overall, being cut off from social contact due to the fact that their loved ones are not allowed to visit. "It's like the perfect storm to generate delirium, it really, really is," Dr. Sharon Inouye, a leading delirium expert, explained.

Dr. Sajan Patel, an assistant professor at University of California, San Francisco, added that the virus itself or the body's response to it may also trigger neurological effects, "flipping people into more of a delirium state." 

In their profile on COVID induced delirium, they highlighted a number of coronavirus patients who experienced traumatic delirium.

"I Was So Scared"

As part of her "nightmarish visions" Kim Victory was paralyzed on a bed and being burned alive, before being rescued. Then, she was turned into an ice sculpture on a fancy cruise ship buffet, followed by a stint as a subject of an experiment in a lab in Japan. She was also attacked by cats.  "It was so real, and I was so scared," she told the paper. Two months have passed since she left the hospital, but she is still feeling the wrath of delirium. "I feel like I'm going down a rabbit hole, and I don't know when I will be back to myself," she said.

After Ron Temko, a 69-year-old mortgage company executive, was on a ventilator for three weeks, he basically asked his family to kill him after a delirium-fueled delusion that he'd been abducted. "I was in a paranoiac phase where I thought there was some sort of conspiracy against me," he said. Other hallucinations included a rotating human head. "Every time it came around, someone put a nail in it, and I could see that the person was still alive," he said.

As for yourself, only leave the home if it's essential, wear a face covering, wash your hands frequently, practice social distancing, monitor your health and to get through this pandemic at your healthiest, don't miss these Things You Should Never Do During the Coronavirus Pandemic.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, gurn said:

so, cooked, ruined lungs and some other organs, along with death isn't the limit for Covid damage:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/the-one-covid-19-side-effect-that-s-terrifying-people/ar-BB167lcr?ocid=spartan-dhp-feeds

While most of us are familiar with the physical manifestations of severe COVID-19 infections, there is one neurological side effect of the virus plaguing hospitalized patients in an unimaginable and tortuous way: delirium. Early on in the pandemic, doctors started noticing coronavirus patients of all ages, suffering from terrifying visions—some that have continued long after their physical symptoms subsided. 

Delirium isn't anything new, most commonly experienced by older patients with dementia. However, doctors maintain that coronavirus-induced delirium is next-level, impacting people of all ages without any previous cognitive impairment. According to reports from hospitals and researchers suggest that approximately two-thirds to three-quarters of coronavirus patients in ICU's are experiencing them in some capacity. The New York Times reports that some experience "hyperactive delirium," paranoid hallucinations and agitation, others have "hypoactive delirium," internalized visions and confusion that cause patients to become withdrawn and incommunicative, while the unlucky ones experience both. 

"Terrifying and Disorienting"

The publication also points out that aside from being "terrifying and disorienting," there can be other repercussions as a result, including extended hospital stays, slowing recovery, and an increased risk of developing depression or post-traumatic stress. Research has also found that previously healthy older patients with delirium can develop dementia sooner than they otherwise would have and have an increased chance of dying sooner as well. 

"There's increased risk for temporary or even permanent cognitive deficits," Dr. Lawrence Kaplan, director of consultation liaison psychiatry at the University of California, San Francisco Medical Center, explained to the NYT. "It is actually more devastating than people realize."

Why and how does COVID-19 provide the ingredients for delirium? According to experts, the recipe seems to include long stints on ventilators mixed with heavy sedatives and poor sleep. Other factors may include patients being mostly immobile, occasional restrainment to keep them from accidentally disconnecting tubes, and overall, being cut off from social contact due to the fact that their loved ones are not allowed to visit. "It's like the perfect storm to generate delirium, it really, really is," Dr. Sharon Inouye, a leading delirium expert, explained.

Dr. Sajan Patel, an assistant professor at University of California, San Francisco, added that the virus itself or the body's response to it may also trigger neurological effects, "flipping people into more of a delirium state." 

In their profile on COVID induced delirium, they highlighted a number of coronavirus patients who experienced traumatic delirium.

"I Was So Scared"

As part of her "nightmarish visions" Kim Victory was paralyzed on a bed and being burned alive, before being rescued. Then, she was turned into an ice sculpture on a fancy cruise ship buffet, followed by a stint as a subject of an experiment in a lab in Japan. She was also attacked by cats.  "It was so real, and I was so scared," she told the paper. Two months have passed since she left the hospital, but she is still feeling the wrath of delirium. "I feel like I'm going down a rabbit hole, and I don't know when I will be back to myself," she said.

After Ron Temko, a 69-year-old mortgage company executive, was on a ventilator for three weeks, he basically asked his family to kill him after a delirium-fueled delusion that he'd been abducted. "I was in a paranoiac phase where I thought there was some sort of conspiracy against me," he said. Other hallucinations included a rotating human head. "Every time it came around, someone put a nail in it, and I could see that the person was still alive," he said.

As for yourself, only leave the home if it's essential, wear a face covering, wash your hands frequently, practice social distancing, monitor your health and to get through this pandemic at your healthiest, don't miss these Things You Should Never Do During the Coronavirus Pandemic.

Don't think this will go over well in the gun-toting states where Covid-19 delirium induces hallucinations.

I can see the headlines "I thought she was a ghost and shot her"...

:mellow:

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Don't think this will go over well in the gun-toting states where Covid-19 delirium induces hallucinations.

I can see the headlines "I thought she was a ghost and shot her"...

:mellow:

After being shot, odds are she is now a ghost.

My Dad, after have multiple life saving surgeries in a short period of time; was delirious for about 2 weeks. When he got his brain/thoughts back he awoke tied to his hospital bed.

Thing was he had no idea it was a hospital he was in, as the last thing he remembered was riding his motorcycle and then sliding into the rear of the van that stopped on the highway.

Family patriarch dies, 28 relatives test positive for coronavirus after ‘minimal contact’

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/family-patriarch-dies-28-relatives-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-minimal-contact/ar-BB169YTu?li=AAggFp4&ocid=iehp

A California family is grieving the loss of their patriarch to COVID-19, and battling at least 28 cases of it within their clan.

"I just believe it happened through minimal contact," Richard, 27, said, adding that his family had been following quarantine policies and that his dad visited three households not knowing he was infected.

There were no big parties, no get-togethers, Richard explained. Some of his father's visits to other households lasted no more than 10 minutes.

Richard, who told CNN he and his father decided to quarantine together after they tested positive to avoid spreading the virus to other members of the family, described a particularly frightening moment when he woke up, struggling to breathe. His father used his last bit of energy to sit up and check on him.

"I woke up gasping for air. I couldn't breathe," he said. "I'm like, 'Dad, I don't think I'm going to make it.' That was the last thing I told my father, and the last thing my dad saw was his son suffocating."

This is so sad.

Appears they followed protocols (but then again California had loosen the rules a bit).

:sadno:

• Huggy Bear 1

I don't like the "author unknown" part in order to fact check some of this, however....

"Chicken pox is a virus. Lots of people have had it, and probably don't think about it much once the initial illness has passed. But it stays in your body and lives there forever, and maybe when you're older, you have debilitatingly painful outbreaks of shingles. You don't just get over this virus in a few weeks, never to have another health effect. We know this because it's been around for years, and has been studied medically for years.

Herpes is also a virus. And once someone has it, it stays in your body and lives there forever, and anytime they get a little run down or stressed-out they're going to have an outbreak. Maybe every time you have a big event coming up (school pictures, job interview, big date) you're going to get a cold sore. For the rest of your life. You don't just get over it in a few weeks. We know this because it's been around for years, and been studied medically for years.

HIV is a virus. It attacks the immune system, and makes the carrier far more vulnerable to other illnesses. It has a list of symptoms and negative health impacts that goes on and on. It was decades before viable treatments were developed that allowed people to live with a reasonable quality of life. Once you have it, it lives in your body forever and there is no cure. Over time, that takes a toll on the body, putting people living with HIV at greater risk for health conditions such as cardiovascular disease, kidney disease, diabetes, bone disease, liver disease, cognitive disorders, and some types of cancer. We know this because it has been around for years, and had been studied medically for years.

Now with COVID-19, we have a novel virus that spreads rapidly and easily. The full spectrum of symptoms and health effects is only just beginning to be cataloged, much less understood.

So far the symptoms may include:

Fever

Fatigue

Coughing

Pneumonia

Chills/Trembling

Acute respiratory distress

Lung damage (potentially permanent)

Loss of taste (a neurological symptom)

Sore throat

Headaches

Difficulty breathing

Mental confusion

Diarrhea

Nausea or vomiting

Loss of appetite

Strokes have also been reported in some people who have COVID-19 (even in the relatively young)

Swollen eyes

Blood clots

Seizures

Liver damage

Kidney damage

Rash

COVID toes (weird, right?)

People testing positive for COVID-19 have been documented to be sick even after 60 days. Many people are sick for weeks, get better, and then experience a rapid and sudden flare up and get sick all over again. A man in Seattle was hospitalized for 62 days, and while well enough to be released, still has a long road of recovery ahead of him. Not to mention a $1.1 million medical bill.

Then there is MIS-C. Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children is a condition where different body parts can become inflamed, including the heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, skin, eyes, or gastrointestinal organs. Children with MIS-C may have a fever and various symptoms, including abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, neck pain, rash, bloodshot eyes, or feeling extra tired. While rare, it has caused deaths.

This disease has not been around for years. It has basically been 6 months. No one knows yet the long-term health effects, or how it may present itself years down the road for people who have been exposed. We literally *do not know* what we do not know.

For those in our society who suggest that people being cautious are cowards, for people who refuse to take even the simplest of precautions to protect themselves and those around them, I want to ask, without hyperbole and in all sincerity:

How dare you?

How dare you risk the lives of others so cavalierly. How dare you decide for others that they should welcome exposure as "getting it over with", when literally no one knows who will be the lucky "mild symptoms" case, and who may fall ill and die. Because while we know that some people are more susceptible to suffering a more serious case, we also know that 20 and 30 year olds have died, marathon runners and fitness nuts have died, children and infants have died.

How dare you behave as though you know more than medical experts, when those same experts acknowledge that there is so much we don't yet know, but with what we DO know, are smart enough to be scared of how easily this is spread, and recommend baseline precautions such as:

Frequent hand-washing

Physical distancing

Reduced social/public contact or interaction

Mask-wearing

Covering your cough or sneeze

Avoiding touching your face

Sanitizing frequently touched surfaces

The more things we can all do to mitigate our risk of exposure, the better off we all are, in my opinion. Not only does it flatten the curve and allow health care providers to maintain levels of service that aren't immediately and catastrophically overwhelmed; it also reduces unnecessary suffering and deaths, and buys time for the scientific community to study the virus in order to come to a more full understanding of the breadth of its impacts in both the short and long term.

I reject the notion that it's "just a virus" and we'll all get it eventually. What a careless, lazy, heartless stance."

-Author Unknown

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

These are nonsensical times we live in

True. But the point was that it's not really in big Pharma's interest to force people to wear masks. Or to prevent them from getting sick at all, for that matter.

"It's the heartless folks at Big Cloth that are forcing us to wear these masks that have built in 5g and a gps tracker so the devil can find us." - Someone in 'merica (probably)

• Haha 2

US buys up world stock of key Covid-19 drug

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/us-buys-up-world-stock-of-key-covid-19-drug/ar-BB16abd2?li=AAggFp4&ocid=ientp

The US has bought up virtually all the stocks for the next three months of one of the two drugs proven to work against Covid-19, leaving none for the UK, Europe or most of the rest of the world.

Not surprised.

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

US buys up world stock of key Covid-19 drug

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/us-buys-up-world-stock-of-key-covid-19-drug/ar-BB16abd2?li=AAggFp4&ocid=ientp

The US has bought up virtually all the stocks for the next three months of one of the two drugs proven to work against Covid-19, leaving none for the UK, Europe, people who vote Democrat, or most of the rest of the world.

Not surprised.

ftfy

• Cheers 1

Arizona doctors worry as ICUs fill: 'We’re leaving the hospital sometimes in tears'

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/arizona-doctors-worry-as-icus-fill-we-re-leaving-the-hospital-sometimes-in-tears/ar-BB168Syp?li=AAggFp4&ocid=ientp

Hospitals in Arizona are seeing an intense wave of new coronavirus cases, doctors at the Banner University Medical Center in Phoenix told ABC News on Monday, and it is filling up their intensive care units and pushing their nurses to the brink.

EDIT:  wanted to added these following paragraphs for emphasis.

"My concern is that we're not going to have a break before the big flu/COVID-19 wave that's going to come this winter. And who's going to be staffing that? If residual workers get sick, we're not going to have the workforce," Dreiffus said, noting the combination will be "devastating."

"It stands to crumple our health system across the board," Dreiffus added.

It is only going to get worse.  They had a chance to Flatten the Curve but chose to open up the Economy.  This is the price they will pay.

Edited by BPA