The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Travis Hamonic l #27 l D

-DLC-

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Isn't it weeks between shots? 

So even if Hamonic got his first vaccination today, does the NHL allow players with only one shot? And not fully vaccinated? 

Because the report he's getting both shots? 

I think that might effect him being allowed to play does it not? 

MacIntyre believes he won't be able to be on the upcoming road trip because he's not yet considered fully vaccinated.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

If/When Hamonic returns, I hope people remember that we're talking about a player who hasn't played an NHL game in over 5 months and has had virtually no meaningful practice time under his belt in the same amount of time - he's going to need some NHL level practice/game action before he's in total game-shape so let's understand that. 

• Cheers 1

I'm just surmising here. 

But from what I've read so far, I'm just guessing, but it may be that the misleading, paranoid, anti-vax community had a big influence on him.  I've seen a tweet by him using the language of Evangelical Christian speak, which I grew up with. That set off alarm bells. And that community in his church, and other sources too, convinced him that the vaccinations themselves can be dangerous to others.....and especially to vulnerable, very young and and very old, with medical conditions already.  So putting his daughters life ahead of everything, he went along with that thinking, believing that that was the safest thing he could do for her.

And somewhere along the way, eventually, his livelihood needs overtook his paranoia, realizing he could help his daughter more by fulfilling his contract and earning more money to care for her.  Maybe started listening to the doctors around the team over the YouTube "researchers" from his church.

My upstairs anti-vax neighbour whom I have to live with, :sick:, and I had a loud "discussion" on Halloween outside the house as kids walked by in costumes.  He insisted that the vaccinated even "shed" harmful toxins to the unvaccinated.  So...he has to be more careful of me, than I of him! :blink:

And folks may think I'm being too critical of Hamonic, or making him into a fool, but for me, my anger does not to towards Hamonic, or my upstairs neighbour.  Its the concerted, relentless onslaught of misinformation, well paid talking heads, raising doubts with no proof, purposely just to throw a political monkey wrench into government efforts to get us back to normal, in order to cause panic, a worse economy, and failure, which will hurt that governing party, like Tucker Carlson is doing in the US.  Tell a lie, or lies, often enough, as Hitler learned, its amazing how well that works on even the nicest folks.  My neighbour was, and is, actually a really great guy, generous, and helpful. And I'm more sad than anything about him and our cooler relationship.

And its those a..holes that are responsible for Hamonic not being a part of our team from the get go.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, kilgore said:

I'm just surmising here. 

But from what I've read so far, I'm just guessing, but it may be that the misleading, paranoid, anti-vax community had a big influence on him.  I've seen a tweet by him using the language of Evangelical Christian speak, which I grew up with. That set off alarm bells. And that community in his church, and other sources too, convinced him that the vaccinations themselves can be dangerous to others.....and especially to vulnerable, very young and and very old, with medical conditions already.  So putting his daughters life ahead of everything, he went along with that thinking, believing that that was the safest thing he could do for her.

And somewhere along the way, eventually, his livelihood needs overtook his paranoia, realizing he could help his daughter more by fulfilling his contract and earning more money to care for her.  Maybe started listening to the doctors around the team over the YouTube "researchers" from his church.

My upstairs anti-vax neighbour whom I have to live with, :sick:, and I had a loud "discussion" on Halloween outside the house as kids walked by in costumes.  He insisted that the vaccinated even "shed" harmful toxins to the unvaccinated.  So...he has to be more careful of me, than I of him! :blink:

And folks may think I'm being too critical of Hamonic, or making him into a fool, but for me, my anger does not to towards Hamonic, or my upstairs neighbour.  Its the concerted, relentless onslaught of misinformation, well paid talking heads, raising doubts with no proof, purposely just to throw a political monkey wrench into government efforts to get us back to normal, in order to cause panic, a worse economy, and failure, which will hurt that governing party, like Tucker Carlson is doing in the US.  Tell a lie, or lies, often enough, as Hitler learned, its amazing how well that works on even the nicest folks.  My neighbour was, and is, actually a really great guy, generous, and helpful. And I'm more sad than anything about him and our cooler relationship.

And its those a..holes that are responsible for Hamonic not being a part of our team from the get go.

You should listen to yourself. 

You don't have a clue what this man has been through.

What are you his best friend or cousin or something?

People like you are impossible. Total close mindedness and self righteous to the core.

I bet you think you sound so smart.

Edited by bad alice french
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

People like you are impossible. Total close mindedness and self righteous to the core.

wat?

IMO he thought he was doing right by his daughter.  That is admirable to the 10th degree. 

Its misinformation that is the culprit. 

Who do you blame?  I'm actually quite open minded, hence the "I'm just surmising here". Which is all I'm doing. Its a discussion forum.

Edited by kilgore

7 hours ago, bad alice french said:

He talked about ”relentless, concerted onslaught of misingormation”. 
Do you really think that is bad?

On 11/2/2021 at 12:10 PM, mll said:

MacIntyre believes he won't be able to be on the upcoming road trip because he's not yet considered fully vaccinated.  

Wait I thought all the media were lairs just making stuff up?

Turns out what they were reporting from the beginning was completely accurate.  It was Hamonic not following the Covid policies.

Benning seems to have been making stuff up yet again by saying what was “out there” wasn’t accurate and that it was something much bigger.

Hamonic isn’t joining the road trip because he isn’t fully vaccinated yet.  I don’t care what his reasons for not wanting to get vaccinated are, if he didn’t want to get vaccinated he could have opted out of the season.  He didn’t want to get vaccinated and didn’t want to lose a paycheque.

It wasn’t about wanting to protect his ill daughter at all, that would have been him opting out of the season.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

Turns out what they were reporting from the beginning was completely accurate.  It was Hamonic not following the Covid policies.

Benning seems to have been making stuff up yet again by saying what was “out there” wasn’t accurate and that it was something much bigger.

Hamonic isn’t joining the road trip because he isn’t fully vaccinated yet.  I don’t care what his reasons for not wanting to get vaccinated are, if he didn’t want to get vaccinated he could have opted out of the season.  He didn’t want to get vaccinated and didn’t want to lose a paycheque.

It wasn’t about wanting to protect his ill daughter at all, that would have been him opting out of the season.

His emotional interview indicates to me that there's a lot more than vaccinations involved. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Provost said:

this take is a bit vitriolic. If all it was about was keeping a paycheque Benning wouldn't have been so supportive. You don't know what's behind this, none of us do.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

The NHL/NHLPA did not make vaccination mandatory.  

He was demoted to the minors and initially kept on payroll but they've then put him on unpaid leave till he reported to Abbotsford.  He was on unpaid leave for 11 days per CapFriendly.  They have him on the NHL roster for 9 days and 9 days in the minors and they are 29 days deep into the season.

Green says he will soon be fully vaccinated.  Their next road trip starts on 24 November (PIT CBJ  BOS MTL OTT).   

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, mll said:

The NHL/NHLPA did not make vaccination mandatory.  

He was demoted to the minors and initially kept on payroll but they've then put him on unpaid leave till he reported to Abbotsford.  He was on unpaid leave for 11 days per CapFriendly.  They have him on the NHL roster for 9 days and 9 days in the minors and they are 29 days deep into the season.

Green says he will soon be fully vaccinated.  Their next road trip starts on 24 November (PIT CBJ  BOS MTL OTT).   

after the nightmare this Canucks team went through with more than 15+ players on the COVID protocol list in the late season 2020/2021 resulting in rescheduling of several NHL games I would have expected that each and every player learned their lesson well.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like Schenn may slowly be stealing this joker’s roster spot.  Green is trusting him more and more.

I guess deciding not to get vaccinated, and also not opting out of the season wasn’t a recipe for a great start.

Now demoted to Abby for a few games.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

Seems like Schenn may slowly be stealing this joker’s roster spot.  Green is trusting him more and more.

I guess deciding not to get vaccinated, and also not opting out of the season wasn’t a recipe for a great start.

Now demoted to Abby for a few games.

Demoted to Abby, where he doesn’t play.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 6:52 PM, Snake Doctor said:

Now he is on IR. What a waste of cap space. His antics off the ice and lack of grit makes him expendable at the deadline. Hopefully we can get a late pick for him at some point.

Yeah. The way this has been handled by Hamonic, quite unprofessional. Can’t really see him getting another deal with the way he has behaved. The club signed him, but his antics, or whatever you want to call them, he hasn’t played in most of the games. Hopefully he can be moved. We don’t need a player like this on the team. 

I don’t even know where he is. Is he with Abby? Is he playing there? What is the update on Hamonic?