The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 23, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, CITY, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, Maginator said:

I agree,

I dont love Holtby, but we needed someone back there. Honestly I feel bad for the guy. Just imagine walking into this absolute tire fire...

It really sucks being a goalie in this environment. Goaltending is such a mental game. This is a tough hole to crawl out of.

Dont know how Markstom was able to stand on his head night in night out. Incredible goalie. It's a shame all our $ is tied up in plugs.

I know why Markstrom bolted to Flames because of all the stress trying to bail out the lazy incompetent team that cant defend

People talk about firing the whole coaching staff.

If their not going to fire Green at this point which I don't think they should, why not demote Baumer or fire him.

Move Jarvis or someone from outside the org into that position.

Change the optics without canning the whole staff right now so there can be an effective reset possibly

Last playoffs they raved about how they tightened up their game for the playoffs to win a couple rounds. Why didn't that carry over into this season?

Confused...

Edited by nuck-lifer
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They're losing these games as a group, our top guys have certainly been suspect defensively too. That showed last game big time. 

Baumer, Green, and Brown need to go. Many Canucks fans expected a step back, I don't think many expected this. When you give up that many goals in such a short span of time something isn't working. Either they're not coming prepared, they're not being prepared properly, or the effort level isn't where it needs to be and none of these things is acceptable. 

You can only move so many players in and out, sooner or later it's on the coaching staff as well. 

I wanted at the very least Baumer and Brown gone after last season. Extending them at Christmas was a huge mistake. But at that point we were top 10 in both defense and on the PP. So they got their little one year extensions as a reward but the team fell off once they started playing more games against better teams. Now we ended up stuck with them coming into this season. I wasn't expecting this kind of start, but I knew it was a possibility. I had no faith in this coaching staff during their hot streak at the beginning of last season. And at that time we had a red hot Markstrom bailing us out.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would if they were currently the two worst players on the team.  No player has directly resulted in more goals against than Quinn Hughes this year.

Do we want them to learn they're not accountable?  That standards apply to everyone but them?  They need a serious kick in the ass right now

Should we trade them Stawns? Or cut their pay? Offer them league minimum contracts ? You seem to know what this team needs more than anyone on here so why don’t you give JB a call and lay your plan on the table. Coach Stawns to the rescue. 

• Thanks 1

Young teams always go through set backs. Colorado did it a few years back. Once they show improvements the expectations also rise. The pressure goes up and the competition takes you more seriously. It helps to show the cracks in the armor.  This team still has lots of weaknesses. Last year they ran basically on adrenalin. Management now needs to take time to finish the rebuild. Clear up the cap mistakes over the next two years. Have another big daft year. 

The question is.     Can Benning get it done?       I trust him on the draft.

5 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

The way we just let in goals in quick order and lose momentum shows is what is frustrating along with the bad coaching amateur system.

At 2-2 I was thinking my gawd we could actually win this thing. Then it became 3-2 and the wheels absolutely fell off. 

I would love to know what the psychology of the locker room is right now. Bewilderment? Confusion? Panic? We can only speculate, but I’d really love to be a fly on the wall and find out what’s going on. Green has to be starting to sweat, same with JB. 

2 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

And aside from an iffy turnover I thought Juolevi was good again tonight. If he can become something consistently that would be a big development.

He's been better than Hughes, aside from the point total, and he almost caught Perry when he started like 20 feet behind 

• Cheers 1