The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens | January 23, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | CBC, SN, CITY, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 hours ago, Pickly said:

Petey’s confidence is in the tank and by benching or reducing his ice time that would probably f the situation up even further it’s not like he’s a 9 year vet who needs a swift kick in the a** to get going and Hughes is a god damn sophomore kid who’s taking his lumps and learning. Clearly the league has figured him out it’s no different than year 1-2 for Petey and he’s going to go through growing pains this season 

But benching Jake is perfectly fine? Lol. This double standard is one of my major gripes with CDC. Accountability literally only exists for Jake but everyone else is "well we can't bench so and so cause it'll hurt their confidence. Can't do that. They also just gotta learn by making mistakes" Jake Virtanen misses an assignment that leads to a scoring chance and CDC has 3 new threads about how he's garbage and a menace to society. Green has him sitting for 15 minutes after. Media loses their marbles. Petey and Hughes are actively hurting the team right now and giving up goals against but their confidence is so frail they can't be benched or anything. Just funny to me man. I suggest that benching Virtanen doesn't make sense and you gotta let him play through mistakes and CDC says "you gotta earn your spots. No handouts." Now we are suggesting leaving two liabilities on the ice to play through mistakes.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

TT is the only player that should have come back, I agree and the only cap casualty.  They were never going to sign Marky for 6 years at $6m and Tanev is too fragile.  The same people looking for non player scape goats are the same ones who would be calling for JB's head had he signed Market and Tanev at those prices and terms

I agree but I would have liked Stecher back too (he never quit and he was a leader).

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

We took a significant step backward this offseason when we lost Marky and Tanev. Now we have two goalies who can't make a bailout save, a porous defense, our best player has lost his confidence, and with the loss of Marky, his sounding board and big brother in Vancouver. This is a season to work off bad contracts and give young guys some game experience.  This team isn't making the playoffs; we will see with this coming series if we are the worst or second to the worst team in Canada; the problem is that Ottawa and the Canucks are on two different trajectories. The good news is that we should get a decent draft pick, and if we can deal Schmidt at the deadline, because he's adding nothing to this team, maybe two good picks. Who was Schmidt's defensive partner last year? That's the player we should target because he obviously covered Schmidt's defensive problems. Nate Schmidt takes the D out of defense. This season will be a chance to get our young guys some NHL playing time. I thought Juolevi looked strong; he jumped into the rush and could have had his first goal. He still struggles at times, but no worse than any of our more experienced young guys are struggling right now. Hogs had what I thought was his best game so far, and he'll get better. Hopefully, Chatfield isn't out too long because I think he has great promise. Mac looked hungry and played quite well. So, if this season means that we get a high pick, and Juolevi, Chatfield, Hogs, Mac, and hopefully Podkolzin as NHL regulars, then this is a totally different team next year. Our problem will be goaltending, which sucks because we lost the best goalie in the league, who was also this team's heart and conscience.

well that's your opinion... everyone has one... 

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

What's the difference?

MARKSTROM

This year there is no one to make the miracle saves to keep the team in the game.

Benning had two years to decide what he should do with his two goalies... two years to get something back for his assets.

He did nothing... and ended up with nothing.

Same applies to Tanev's case.

No, Benning was too busy selling the farm to get the Canucks into the playoffs for two series.

Thanks for not making this a thread 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Agreed. 

And nobody's getting fired. That's ridiculous. A little critical of Baumer's deployment at times but coaching staff seems solid.

I'm just pissed like everyone else over the misplaced/wasted salary space on the team. 

Sure, the timing was all wrong in many aspects and some GM stuff is "best guess" scenario as many GM's have stated and hope for the best but also said if you make more steps forward than back, then eventually it'll work, hard to be patient when we've never won a cup BUT I'd rather have a few down years and have a team built for the long run than some good regular season team that gets nowhere because of lack of depth among other things like usual in the history of the franchise, it's been painful! 

At last we have a farm AND a roster that's "almost" done except for a few tweaks.. and some time to actually play with the same players for a change, wow I never would have thought I'd ever say that, usually it was sell the farm for one time, maybe 2 time shot a cup. That worked out well didn't it? ;)

2 hours ago, GetFocht said:

You meant 'structure' right?

hmmm every time I see your Nick I think of Carson and wonder how he will work out, but also getfocht is funny and I'd have thought you'd have added "dup' to the end of it but whatever lol

Edited by iceman64

Another thought I just had was while the team started flounder everyone was clamouring for us to make trades before the season was shortened. So Benning went and got Toffoli, but he really couldn't afford to keep him. The flat cap and the OEL debacle really threw Benning for a ride. 

The team wasn't going to make the playoffs if the season was not shortened last year. Marky and Tanev (albeit he played the whole shortened season) were both injured and we were free falling since February. Then we were essentially gifted a bubble spot going into the playoffs, where a few things went right, but the team was still getting shelled behind 40-50 shots. It was just that Petey, Hughes, Marky, Demko and Bo were carrying the team on their backs, but it was never sustainable. 

But unfortunately the fans (including myself) got super excited and thought after a "successful" second round exit, that the remaining core could carry over to the next season. 

And in a way I think we're exactly right where we left off before the stoppage, struggling without Markstrom, and getting hit with 40+ shots. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Another thought I just had was while the team started flounder everyone was clamouring for us to make trades before the season was shortened. So Benning went and got Toffoli, but he really couldn't afford to keep him. The flat cap and the OEL debacle really threw Benning for a ride. 

The team wasn't going to make the playoffs if the season was not shortened last year. Marky and Tanev (albeit he played the whole shortened season) were both injured and we were free falling since February. Then we were essentially gifted a bubble spot going into the playoffs, where a few things went right, but the team was still getting shelled behind 40-50 shots. It was just that Petey, Hughes, Marky, Demko and Bo were carrying the team on their backs, but it was never sustainable. 

But unfortunately the fans (including myself) got super excited and thought after a "successful" second round exit, that the remaining core could carry over to the next season. 

And in a way I think we're exactly right where we left off before the stoppage, struggling without Markstrom, and getting hit with 40+ shots. 

Well given Nate couldn't be with the team for 2 weeks, getting in zero pre-season games to get some mean nothing, no pressure games to get used to new players and then get going was hardly the optimal start when the team is "almost" there

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DS4quality said:

Ironically, it's not the rookie d men that are the problem. Both Chatfield and Juolevi have played pretty good, It's Hughes, and Schmidt's brutal plays that are literally costing us games. 

Hughes yes - schmidt less so - you can see him looking for the pass option but it’s not available - very rarely do we even have a forward circling back to start the breakout. 

NS is a great puck moving D man but that’s wasted if there is no one to move it to. 

1 hour ago, Darius said:

I’m my mind EP has built up a considerable amount of credit.  Winning the Calder.  Being dominant in the playoffs.  Putting in the best two first years of any drafted Canuck since Pavel Bure IMO.  You give him some rope because of that.  6 questionable games vs everything else he has done isn’t enough for dog house status. Especially in a context where almost everyone else looks like trash too. 

Jake on the other hand hasn’t built up nearly the same credit or contributed anything close to what EP has.  He keeps making the same mistakes since day 1.  He goes invisible for weeks.  We haven’t seen this from EP at the same magnitude.

This “double standard” for star players vs underachievers  probably exist on every team

..........but the BIG difference is that Jake is plain "LAZY" and why he's called "LAZY JAKE" !

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, appleboy said:

Don't expect any big personal changes. The owners will be watching the cash very closely.  They will wait until the contracts expire.

Unfortunately, I believe you are right.   The Canucks Season will be over in 2 months and then $20M+ will come off the books for next year and that will begin to allow us to move ahead with the rebuild.  Then the year after another $22M comes off and we'll be in even better shape with all the dead wood and anchor contracts gone.  By then we'll have a new NHL Caliber coach and completely different coaching staff and should be very good shape.   So just hold your breath.  Not too much longer to wait and forget about this year - and just have fun on CDC criticizing TG and the Lazy-Deadwood players while they're still here.   There's lots of enjoyment in that. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Unfortunately, I believe you are right.   The Canucks Season will be over in 2 months and then $20M+ will come off the books for next year and that will begin to allow us to move ahead with the rebuild.  Then the year after another $22M comes off and we'll be in even better shape with all the dead wood and anchor contracts gone.  By then we'll have a new NHL Caliber coach and completely different coaching staff and should be very good shape.   So just hold your breath.  Not too much longer to wait and forget about this year - and just have fun on CDC criticizing TG and the Lazy-Deadwood players while they're still here.   There's lots of enjoyment in that. 

Flames fan detected, terminate with extreme prejudice

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Maginator said:

Oh I absolutely agree.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hog - Horvat - XXX

XXX - Gaudette - XXX

XXX - Mac - XXX

Should be our lineup. We have 5 plug stoppers that need to go.

Podz arrives, and Motte is a keeper.

I'm high on Lockwood and Hawryluk has to be tested too.

On D we need Tryamkin badly.

2021-22 : 

no Edler (6m), Sutter (4.375M), Pearson (3.75M), Benn (2M), Hamonic(1.25M) : 17M off the book.

We may find some takers at the deadline for Roussel/Beagle

Holtby could be picked up by Seattle.

I like Hamonic tho, but we know that its not his normal price. 

Hogz Horvat Boeser

Miller Pettersson Podz

Virtanen Gaudette Lockwood

Motte MacE Hawryluk

Hughes Tryamkin

Schmidt xxx

xxx Myers 

Demko

xxx /Holtby

Enough talent in this groupe, we just need a complete overhaul on coaching staff.

Bonus : If we can draft top 3 and take a D this year... 

Edited by deus.ex.makina