The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Motte becoming a top 6 guy????

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

Motte  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

41 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

What I'd like to see is 

Pearson Beagle Sutter as third line 13-15 mins

Roussel Gaud Virtanen or Change a winger for McEwen 8-10 mins

That is terrible.

Where is the chemistry? They all play different styles.

Pearson and Sutter with Beagle kills hit play style.

Gaud does not play D Rooster Gaud Virt has proven over and over that they are good if heavily sheltered but they do not work well together.

Do you watch hockey or just play it on your PS4?

On 1/27/2021 at 8:13 PM, -AJ- said:

Motte is on a hot streak and I do believe he's showing more of his offensive potential this year, but I don't think he's a top six guy based off 9 games to start the season. There might be a good case to move him up to the 3rd line in coming weeks though.

Motte Beagle and Roussell is the 3rd line

more even strength minutes than Jake (10+) Sutter (9+) and MacEwen (8)

And all 3 kill penalties

And and they are out scoring the Sutter line (10)to(5)

other thatn an outdated line up card what says the beagle line is not the 3rd?

but back to the OP

here is a fun fact about the Canucks bottom 7 through 9 games:

Motte, no apples

Sutter, no apples

Beagle, no goals

Rooster, no goals

Jake no apples

Gaudette no apples

MacEwen no points

edit- wat wood a dai wittoot a wat frum da Oldnooseman?

Do you lack comprehension abilities 

or do you have a quota of Wats to meet daily?

Edited by lmm
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

There is 2 different types of energy those that bang and crash and those that get the structure of the game Horvat doesn't make a good bottom 6 guy he is a great #2 center Motte isn't a bottom 6 guy he is a match up guy who can keep up with the best in the game

Has no one really noticed his speed 

Thats great but when we had Burrows on our top line, we had higgins, Malhotra, Torres etc. in our bottom 6 that played that same gritty game as Burrows or Motte provided while they could also PK too. Who in our bottom 6 plays with the same tenacity as Motte in our bottom 6 while being great defensively? Roussell? no, Virtanen? no, Gaudette? no...Beagle and Sutter dont drive as hard as Motte does consistently. Put Motte on top 6, we take away one our best weapon from the bottom 6. Then we might as well play only 2 lines the whole game. Also Pearson has chemistry with Horvat, I doubt he will play as good in the bottom 6.

24 minutes ago, lmm said:

And all 3 kill penalties

but back to the OP

Motte, no apples

Sutter, no apples

Beagle, no goals

Rooster, no goals

Jake no apples

Gaudette no apples

MacEwen no points

I hope Podkolzin can come sooner so we can make our bottom 6 better. I would start Podkolzin and motte on the 3rd line amd look for maybe a shut down 2 way 3rd line center in the off season.

• Thanks 1

He reminds me of a Jannik Hansen type. Guy with great hustle and checking abilities who can chip in on offense from time to time. I wouldn't mind seeing him move up the lineup when needed but think he's ultimately at his best in a ~3rd line role. He displayed a good scoring touch in college, and now recently in the playoffs + the start of this year, so i could see him being a guy that threatens that 20 goal plateau a couple times in his career similar to Hansen too.

5 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

From last season's playoffs to the first 9 games this season is Motte becoming a top 6 forward???

Lets look at it, 5 goals in the first 9 games

If Pearson is a top 6 forward is Motte not better

Motte's Determination resembles Horvats, actually I go as far as saying Motte is to our winger's as Horvat is to our centers 

And most importantly wouldn't a line of Motte Horvat and Hoglander  look pretty good 

All in all IMHO it is time to promote Motte and demote Pearson. Pearson might work better against weaker competition 

Is Motte becoming a top 6 guy????

No, he's a top 6 in the bottom 12.

• Haha 1

Motte is our Tuch. 
spread the threat through the whole lineup. But i will do the following as a change :

Motte Gaudette Sutter

Roussel Beagle Virtanen 

and i do think that Pearson is holding Horvat and Hoglander back.

I hope sooner or later we will end up with 

Petersson Miller Podkolzin

Hoglander Horvat Boeser

Hughes Tryamkin

Schmidt Hamonic

Juolevi Myers

no more Edler or Pearson.

Edited by deus.ex.makina

5 hours ago, lmm said:

And all 3 kill penalties

but back to the OP

Motte, no apples

Sutter, no apples

Beagle, no goals

Rooster, no goals

Jake no apples

Gaudette no apples

MacEwen no points

came here to say this - why move him to the third when he is already on the matchup line with more mins. 

I think the no A stat is down to the fact they play D first force a mistake and then players like motte and sutter then jump on it to get the goal. They are not out there to generate O but to shut down and counter if the opportunity present itself 

• Huggy Bear 1

I've been hoping the coach gives him a chance with more offensively minded line mates since the playoffs too.   Have to remember, on away games especially he the fourth line comes out to take a d-zone draw against the best in the world -  and he's a huge part of our PK, so it's not like he's not used to playing against top competition.   Both goals he was involved in last night were a case of driving the net and hoping for garbage, glad he's getting rewarded on the scoreboard.   He's definitely making a case to use a protection spot on.    

Think he's so valuable in the bottom six it makes it tough for a coach to move him ... that said Pearson likely won't be back and if there ever was a time to give him some games this would be the year...and if there is an injury moving him up at this point doesn't look problematic either.     Oh and wanted to add, Motte isn't playing typical 4th line minutes this year - but his ozone starts are shutdown ones for sure. 

Edited by IBatch

5 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I hope Podkolzin can come sooner so we can make our bottom 6 better. I would start Podkolzin and motte on the 3rd line amd look for maybe a shut down 2 way 3rd line center in the off season.

i feel like  in playoffs this will be lineup

miller petey hoglander

virtanen horvat boeser

motte  sutter    podkolzin

macewen beagle lind 

edler schmidt

hughes benn

juolevi myers 

hamonic 

adam gaudette  can be traded at deadline for a decent young d prospect 

sutter will not be resigned 

roussel eriksson waived  let them play in minors they arent wirth the salary rather go with youth. 

beagle myers roussel eriksson not protected in expansion (hopefully one is taken at ed) 

we need a better young third line c  

any ideas on 3rd line centers 

I think Motte's scoring some goals because he's got a finisher's touch. He doesn't generate much offence himself with nice passes, but he has a nose for the net for sure. As a player he works better in a checking line because the goals he's scoring are greasy ones, not pretty ones. Playing with Bo and Hoglander might be interesting but I don't think he's got enough pure offensive IQ to play in our top-6.

Having a 3rd/4th liner who can play 12-15 minutes and score at a 20-30 goal pace is pretty impressive, and makes us a deeper, stronger team. Even if we end up with an injury to our top-6, I think someone like Gaudette or Virtanen will move up the lineup first sadly.

There is too vast a difference.  Motte plays primarily against lesser competition and just has to be a little better than the bottom of the other roster to succeed.

Just because a guy can do well in that role, it is not a logical jump to say that can suddenly play bigger minutes against top competition while the opposition is game planning on them.  Those are just two different things.

Likely the only reason Motte can have any success is that the opposition uses up all their best bullets trying to keep the Petterson and Horvat lines contained.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

because the Canucks beat a bad team in a bad way there is more holes in their game than swiss cheese

I don't get why you got off topic here and talking about system and game structure. That's coaching and obviously something needs to be done, can't be losing the shot differential every game

But you started a thread suggesting moving motte onto horvats line. I'm simply saying don't change a good thing, Mottes line is contributing so keep it.

7 hours ago, lmm said:

And all 3 kill penalties

but back to the OP

Motte, no apples

Sutter, no apples

Beagle, no goals

Rooster, no goals

Jake no apples

Gaudette no apples

MacEwen no points

One could say our team uses a third shutdown line rather then a scoring one...what impresses me the most about them is they do it with very little insulation, and a lot of d-zone starts against top competition.   One could definitely make a case for that.   Mottes lines minutes have steadily creeped up since the playoffs ... he had a game or two with at or around 20 minutes if i re-call, of course killing penalties is a big chunk of that.    As far as usage goes, our bottom six most important line for sure has become Motte/Beagle plus. 

Motte reminds me a little of Stone when he first played in OTT, great hand to eye - picking pockets, knocking pucks out of the air.   That stuff isn't easy to do, and wouldn't at all be surprised if he can keep growing his offensive game - he should have some apples - Beagle is like LE in the sense he just can't score on those opportunities...Sutter  too.   That line has had a lot more chances then the scoreboard reflects, does make one wonder what Motte could do playing with Horvat. 

• Cheers 1