The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

NHL is getting too soft.. id like a couple guys drop the mits and/or deliver some hits on a guy like toffoli.. hes been embarrassing the Canucks need to get physical with him.

well the refs been calling softys all over the league this year for w.e reason.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Pickly said:

It’s not that we don’t match up. It’s that we look completely outclassed. It’s called making adjustments which this team doesn’t know how to make. 

They have all the confidence in the world playing against us and we don’t have any right now.

Happens all the time with certain teams. No reason to overreact.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I also wonder how much Manny leaving has impacted the team...he's a really solid coach and it went beyond just face offs.

Hadn’t considered that, Deb, but you could be on to something. Beyond what Manny brought as a technical coach, he really added value just being a guy that kept everyone’s spirits up, and seemed to really have a connection with many of the players, especially the young guys. I don’t know if missing Manny has put us in this funk, but I would suggest that not having him around could explain why it’s taking so long for this team to bounce back mentally and really find themselves.

Manny was the ultimate “glue guy” as a player, and I suspect that he functions much the same as a coach, and is missed by Vancouver, for these same reasons.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Ive been pretty impressed with how well the Habs look out there. I had no idea they’d be such a good team this year.

Sucks to lose, but if we play that way tonight against other teams we should be okay.

Pros:

- We played better and more defensively sound than the other night

- We outshot the Habs

- Toronto will lose hold of First in Division with Habs’ continued success

- We’ll be hungry and unsatisfied against the Leafs

- Chatfield, Miller, Hoglander all looked quite good I thought. I felt bad for Chatfield on that first Habs goal because he seemed to be doing all the right things and still got scored on.

Montreal and Toffoli have our number this year. Time to move on and keep the positive play going.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Yea Benn has been fine.

Baumers thinking that Chatfield could continue to play as a regular with Edler was pretty naive.

I would like to see this coaching staff be a little more proactive with managing fatigue. They seem to go with the same roster even after a poor loss. Swapping Virtanen out as your only move after an embarrassing loss is pretty weak.

I was totally ok with OJ sitting the game after he the goal or whatever. It was a back to back situation but I thought they’d plug OJ back in the game after so I was disappointed with that. I like the idea of alternating them a bit keep em fresh. Doesn’t hurt for them to watch a game either. They have almost no nhl experience so to speak.

Super bummed about JVs play. I’m to the point where I don’t even care if he’s in. I’d still think Gaudette can get better cause at least he seems to show passion and effort to get better 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Benn is a 7th d man as best 

You wouldn’t be saying that if this was 2 years ago and we just lost to the Canadiens with Benn in the line up LOL.

Hes probably playing a little further up then he should I agree but there was literally no reason at all to take him out of the lineup up until this point 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Great plan sitting OJ For Ben 

toffoli went around him like the pylon he is 

keep playing those vets Green 

You should check Höglander’s ice time, oh wait that doesn't suit your narrative. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Another night where we kept it close but again we couldn’t find a way to reel in a win. Much better effort than last night. Petey scored a sick goal. Roussel and Pearson added goals of their own. It was a case of too little, too late. Demko was probably the lone bright spot in yet another loss. Need to rebound next game. GCG!