The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, Wayne Glensky said:

It’s like a dysfunctional family over there. I think Green is doing this to spite benning

I don't think so, Green would only get himself fired. At this point, Green has run out of ideas, he's getting desperate to save his job.

• Vintage 1

REFEREES

Kendrick Nicholson #30
KN30.jpg
Chris Schlenker #3
CS03.jpg
Games ’20-21 7 10
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 62 / 0 64 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 322 / 0 185 / 0
First NHL Game 1/17/15 10/24/16
Birthplace Milverton, ON Medicine Hat, AB

LINESMEN

David Brisebois #96
DB96.jpg
Steve Barton #59
SB59.jpg
Games ’20-21 9 9
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 62 / 8 63 / 18
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1246 / 54 1277 / 107
First NHL Game 10/11/00 11/1/00
Birthplace Sudbury, ON Vankleek Hill, ON
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Benning is unwilling to admit he made

mistakes and just defends every player that hasn’t made it into the lineup yet. Green is basically telling him that Jake isn’t committed to what it takes to becoming an everyday player. Every team sees this so there isn’t a trade to be had but how many chances should he get? Joulevi no matter how well he plays sits in the pressbox. There is nothing really that Chatfield has done that warrants him to stay in the lineup. So many lineup decisions that don’t make sense and no accountability. Only young rookies are made to sit while veterans are free to make mistake after mistake and know they will be back in the lineup next game.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Hard to say at this point. 

yeah, and Benning's probably not too happy with the season so far, wonder how his patience is with Green. Green might be just like the players, he might be pi**ed that a couple of the vets were given up on, which makes his job harder.  

51 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I actually really like Meyers and think he’ll settle in, but there’s just no denying he’s been an adventure (of the wrong sort) in the defensive zone..... although much of the team has been right there with him. Our zone exits have been an absolute nightmare. 

I've never been a fan of him. Slow feet, plays a softish game, not that mean. Takes 2 seconds too long to do anything.

Anyways let's go boys!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Green & Benning have always seemed to have good communication throughout Greens tenure. 

Green preaches honesty alot. I think ppl are being overly dramatic thinking this is Green's way of sending a message.

I'm sure Benning can see why Jake isn't playing.

Absolutely.  I think that people are only reading the 1st half of that tweet and disregarding the 2nd part.  You know just before the  ,but...

Regardless of what people start out saying, the most important information comes after the but.:o

9 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

REFEREES

Kendrick Nicholson #30
KN30.jpg
Chris Schlenker #3
CS03.jpg
Games ’20-21 7 10
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 62 / 0 64 / 0
Career Games (Reg/PO) 322 / 0 185 / 0
First NHL Game 1/17/15 10/24/16
Birthplace Milverton, ON Medicine Hat, AB

LINESMEN

David Brisebois #96
DB96.jpg
Steve Barton #59
SB59.jpg
Games ’20-21 9 9
Games ’19-20 (Reg/PO) 62 / 8 63 / 18
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1246 / 54 1277 / 107
First NHL Game 10/11/00 11/1/00
Birthplace Sudbury, ON Vankleek Hill, ON

the refs doing a ridiculous job in the best league ......

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

I don't get this cap rule.

At the beginning of the season all teams HAVE to be under the cap to even start play, in theory.

And they are supposed to stay under or at the cap maximum or minimum all season long until playoffs.

Now last year's playin round were considered regular season games but Vancouver was allowed to be 13 million over the cap for those games.

Now this year, with Eriksson being added to the roster the team is 4 million over the cap, in the past that would require waivers. This has happened to other teams already.

So what am I missing here, this isn't LTIR stuff, are they going to waive somebody? They have until the first whistle I think.

3 minutes ago, bree2 said:

but hey it might work! Hoglander can play on every line and Horvat has not been good as of late. it is worth a try, doing nothing is same old, same old

I didn't get to respond to you due to the last GDT/PDT getting locked. You quoted me mentioning that you believe in that the team was fatigued vs a leadership/ internal issue that I was suggesting.

I hope you are right. I expect Bo etc.. to get on their horses tonight and lead the way now that they have had some rest.

This is the turning point for me tonight, this is a short season. If they don't put in a good effort, I anticipate changes and continued retooling for the rest of the season. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Time for Green to think outside the box

Let's face it, Hughes isn't a defenseman. He has 15 points, 7 of which are on the powerplay, where he is + 6 Goal differential (he was on the PP for one shorty - Schmidt was on for the other 2).  He has been on the ice for 14 even strength goals (scored 1 himself) but is a - 9 on even strength goal differential (ie,  been on the ice for 23 even strength goals against.) Next worst is Chatfield at a -3 differential,  then Myers at -2. Best is Schmidt at +5, followed by Juolevi at a + 2 differential 

Clearly his value is not defense, but offence.  So play him there.  Bring in Juolevi in his place on left D and play Hughes as a winger.for a few games. He can still man the point on the PP

He'd probably get a hat trick at wing.

I'm going 4-3 Canucks tonight. Seems like almost everyone on here is counting them out so they will most likely win. At least the jekyll and hyde fans will be entertaining after a win. Honestly just want to see effort and cohesion. I can deal with losing as as long as they show life and show they give a hoot. 

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

yeah, and Benning's probably not too happy with the season so far, wonder how his patience is with Green. Green might be just like the players, he might be pi**ed that a couple of the vets were given up on, which makes his job harder.  

That really shouldn't matter. They are all paid exceptionally well and they should act like professionals. Yes, they are only human, but they still have a job to do. So take care of business. The reason they are paid so well is because fans take care of their business. They better make sure they do the same.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Oh boy.

You know it’s desperate times when people are actually throwing out converting Hughes to wing.

Hughes is a defenseman. He needs a stable D partner that can effectively cover for him when he gets caught up ice.

I see a tired player that is being played too much. Let’s not get carried away.

There beating him down out there. He's playing injured and needs some rest, I read its probably a groin strain. I say a rested 14 minutes on wing would be good once in awhile. Keeping his pp time also.