The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I could understand if people are upset about Tanev, moving on -  but in Markstrom's case, it's an either/or - so being angry about him is the equivalent of expecting Demko to have gotten dealt - and in Toffoli's case, he was here for a cup of coffee (and was limping/a liability in the playoffs)  - and again, if they'd blocked Hoglander's path by re-signing Toffoli, people would simply have a reverse angle on their fury over that. 

The funny thing for me - Boeser has 9 goals right now and no one cares.   It's all a chorus of whining about Toffoli, instead.

If Toffoli were here, it would not change a thing - the team's mistakes - almost exclusively braincramp giveaways in lethal areas - can't really be 'defended' effectively.  

Toffoli had 4 points in 7 games.  This is the first time I've heard anyone call most of Toffoli's time in Vancouver... As a liability.  

Markstrom I get.  Our goalies are ok, just can't carry this version of the Canucks. 

Toff wouldn't prevent Hog from playing lots.  Most of our forwards have sucked. 

These contracts shouldn't have been a problem.  It's past contractual mistakes haunting the team.  

From Harman Dayal...

Screenshot_20210208-123404_Chrome.thumb.jpg.29fddd4f4eb967e38714a3771d886c38.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

The level of Green’s arrogance after losing 5 straight games is staggering 

all he has is “we played well” 

really?

seriously?

they ask about the letdown and he looks surprised? Like what letdown? 

oh give it a rest,  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chilliwiggins said:

Oh I think there is a few plugs on this tram

throw Benning number one pet project on that list

times f in up on this guy.   Gifted way to many years 

virtanen is a joke and I’m not talking about his play tonight

its the fact he is still here only because it’s Benning baby

Hey not gonna argue with there being plugs pretty much all of the bottom 6 and D. Point was if the players see these two as plugs than they are way over rating themselves. 

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

We actually played well enough to win.  Other than a few gaffs, but that's to be expected with this group.  Sorry Holtby, but Anderson outplayed you.  I know most were tough to save, and our D is horrendous, but we finally outshoot a team, keep the shots against down, and Holtby can't make that big save when we need it.  The first two goals happened with only 4 or 5 shots against I believe.

Yeah he seems to let in a goal at the wrong time - right now..

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Not sure if it’s been said but bad slumps always seem to end with a game where you play well enough to win but... just don’t.  

Hopefully that’s the direction we’re heading in.

It feels like it.

I ain't giving up hope yet.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Well...Gauds played like he wants to play more, I liked Bailey's jump, I thought OJ looked decent, and except a few minutes in the third, the boys deserved a better result. 

Jake played like he could care less, the kid drives me crazy, two plays that showed exactly what's wrong with his mental game, 2nd period 2 on 1 with Beagle. The Defender is sticking with Beagle, but instead of moving toward the middle to give himself a better angle, Jake shifted toward the boards, meaning his only play was to pass. The defenseman ties up Beagle's stick, Jake can see this and STILL passes. The second was when he picked up the loose puck in front Holtby, tried to carry it through the slot and gave it away for a major scoring chance, when the right play was to move it to the boards. Also, QH needs to simplify his game in the defensive zone, he made some bad plays tonight too.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Who's "they" and what is their source? 

Whisper campaigns? 

Pretending to speak for players?

I could understand if people are upset about Tanev, moving on -  but in Markstrom's case, it's an either/or - so being angry about him is the equivalent of expecting Demko to have gotten dealt - and in Toffoli's case, he was here for a cup of coffee (and was limping/a liability in the playoffs)  - and again, if they'd blocked Hoglander's path by re-signing Toffoli, people would simply have a reverse angle on their fury over that. 

The funny thing for me - Boeser has 9 goals right now and no one cares.   It's all a chorus of whining about Toffoli, instead.

If Toffoli were here, it would not change a thing - the team's mistakes - almost exclusively braincramp giveaways in lethal areas - can't really be 'defended' effectively.  He's no magic bean in spite of wrecking this team (and only this team) head to head thus far.

I don't buy the story - of pretender, smarm media speaking for the players - and even were that the case, if the players are failing in the present because they're still distracted thinking they'd make better GMs - they would need to pull their heads out of their asses and make like professionals. 

I don't buy that - I don't think they are as petty as the Van media - I think it's more likely projection and a flake attempt to utilize phantom players voices to peddle a hypocritical, contradictory agenda.  How many media were clamouring for Markstrom and Tanev to be re-signed at the time?  Right.

It comes down to needing to play the game the right way, which they haven't been, recently.  

Mostly agree, the team tlost good & glue players but there are also new players coming in to fill thosespots....

Edited by ShawnAntoski