The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laying down on the Job. Myers reverting to his Buffalo +- days

Rate this topic

Primal Optimist

What do you do with a problem like Myeria?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Davathor, i regrettably think you got caught up in a long post directed at a few posters about a week ago correct? on a similar subject  - and Stone Cold is awesome - wish all our guys smashed a few beers and went out and did their thing so no it's not that at all.  Don't take my short stories personally.  

Fair enough. As long we agree that Myers plays, hits and fights like a kitten, all is forgotten.

• Cheers 1

I respect your opinion @Primal Optimist, and if I were you, wouldn't put much stock in the replies that just bash the thread without any reasoning.

If we had a replacement lined up who could play better than Myers, then sure, that player should play. I don't think any of our younger guys would bring more to the table than him at the moment though.

The Canucks defense isn't strong both on paper and in systems. This has been the case for years, so I think addressing these should be the priority. Perhaps Myers will play better in a different system, and/or if he's deployed as a 5/6 d-man.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

If we had a replacement lined up who could play better than Myers, then sure, that player should play. I don't think any of our younger guys would bring more to the table than him at the moment though.

perhaps a few games of (in no particular order) 

Hughes, Benn, Edler, Joulevi, Hamonic, Schmidt ... again just a couple games, heck make em those tough road games we give up the early goal and lose everytime thereof. What is to lose from looking at it?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Name a defenseman who's playing well right now.  The entire group is underachieving, yet the unqualified idiot coaching them is still employed.  I guarantee that every D will improve one Baumgartner is replaced with a coach who isn't severely mentally handicapped.

I don't disagree, hadn't actually paid attn to the D coach much but I have always thought coaches either multiply a teams ability by 1.1 or 0.9, rarely are they a neutral party in the teams wellbeing in the standings. It could very well be that we need to end the Baumer experiment on D. I have nothing against him but several replies here point to Baumer as the Dcoach and the problem. 

Might be cheaper and easier though to try benching a guy who has yet to sit a game this year, but who gives the puck away twice as often as he takes it away, sits in the box 1.5 minutes a game and is woefully outscored at five on five when he is on the ice. I see a boat load of disagreement though, and I am aware that my opinion is just as good as the other 2.7 million opinions on the Canucks. I don't think we are far off of clicking though. Just needs a tweak or two and we will win 60% instead of lose 60%.

19 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

perhaps a few games of (in no particular order) 

Hughes, Benn, Edler, Joulevi, Hamonic, Schmidt ... again just a couple games, heck make em those tough road games we give up the early goal and lose everytime thereof. What is to lose from looking at it?

It's not a bad idea. I wouldn't be against benching him for a game, then rotating who gets benched the next one. Keep the players a bit more rested at the very least.

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

What is the point of this thread? You are clearly a hater. Who cares. Get a life.

Edit: And by the way, you're username is quite ironic - primal optimist? You should instinctively be focusing on the brighter things in life.

I find it odd that you don't see a point to my thread, but you absolutely had to post in it, and just to insult me personally. Sigh. If you are not part of the civil discussion your part of the problem. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I find it odd that you don't see a point to my thread, but you absolutely had to post in it, and just to insult me personally. Sigh. If you are not part of the civil discussion your part of the problem. 

Yeah, yeah, you bleeding heart, poor me kind a person.

• RoughGame 1

The three things I wish he would improve upon are, in no particular order:

- don't just reach on the PK with your stick to block lanes, but physically engage guys
- More Tyler Myers, less Tyler Minors
- cost less per year

But as others mentioned, he's been far from a problem (he's gotten some good shots and has been used in both special teams, hence showing his value)

Wow, really wait, picking out on Myers? Isn't he the only one remotely showing some emotions to our game? Like making hits, engaging in fights and etc...

And you are picking at bones at his +/- in his years at Buffalo; a team that sucked so badly where everyone's +/- were bad? Expectations for Myers is a #3/4 guy, I think he is doing ok. 

Myers logging top minutes on the club during a rough season makes it difficult to properly assess him.  Much like how Edler used to get dragged through the mud during the Willie years. 

I don’t think he’s quite Edler-level solid but he does more good than harm and like others have said, we’d miss him. He’s also the whipping boy du jour on the back end due to his contract - all of his mistakes get identified, called out and therefore magnified.  

Myers has been our best defenceman this season. Adding up points, sure, but defensively he's playing his best hockey of his career.

Edler is regressing a bit but still stable and our best PKer.

Schmidt has been garbage, can't even take a pass without having it explode off his stick and far too many turnovers/too slow in his own zone.

Hughes has been one of the worst defencemen in the NHL. Doesn't matter how many pretty PP points you pile up, your job is to defend and having one of the worst +/- in the NHL (despite all those goals-for) is a real worry. He was beaten by players who should have retired 1-on-1 (Perry, Spezza...) which is embarrassing.

Benn has been what we expect/deserve from him - nothing fantastic, not sure if he counts as top-4 material on any other team but he's paired with Hughes for some stupid reason.

Juolevi has been brilliant in the time we've seen him and some of that is with Myers, Myers barking orders at him all the time and look at the two guys progress.

Of all the issues on this team, Myers is not one of them and gets no credit for it.

• Like 1

The only thing I'd like to see the big guy change is to play a little more stay-at-home and a little less "I'm Paul Coffey". Same with Hughes. 

I'd also like to see Schmidt be allowed to play a little more "I'm Paul Coffey", as I feel like he's been typecast into a stay-at-home role this year that doesn't use his biggest asset, which is his offensive ability. 

The real problem is on the wall, and it's Baumer.  He's gotta go. 

13 hours ago, Davathor said:

Fair enough. As long we agree that Myers plays, hits and fights like a kitten, all is forgotten.

LOL... nah we don't see eye and eye on that - except yes he's not a fighter.   He's really the only D on the back end with a regular degree of push back.   If he plays like a kitten, then the rest of the team, and the majority of the league for that matter must be mice. 

14 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Myers is definitely not the problem and if he was gone, I think things would be even worse.  Myers is very much our Edler replacement over the next year or two.  He can be an every situation guy and can play up and down the lineup as needed.  He plays with an edge, has a strong shot, can move the puck and can defend as well.  Does he make the odd bonehead play, yes, but that is not the norm if you watch closely.  There are so many other problems with this team, and there would be more if Myers wasn't here.  He is worth the contract and I think will still be a valuable player at the backend of the contract.

Truly, we are at the point where we need to consider the sell off of players that don't need to be part of next year or the long term.  As a start I would try and move Pearson (Moderate value) and one of Beagle/Sutter (Some value), as well as Benn now that Hamonic is back.  Let some younger guys graduate and play out the year seeing what we have with Gaudette/Virtanen/MacEwen/Joulevi etc in more prominent roles.  This team's system and confidence is fundamentally flawed at this point, so may as well adjust it to be development focused.

As I understand it Green can’t graduate so many youngstrrs due to bonus money among other things.

17 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

I will certainly concede that point! I was amazed it was only that!! My take on this year is only anecdotal but when ever I am watching specifically the D pairings, I find myself tensing up at something Myers is doing or not doing, what seems like seconds before we are scored upon. lol. I was the most shocked to see his even strength +- at just minus 1 so far, lol.

Each post you have made so far has been disproven, or shown to just be a silly opinion because you seem need a whipping boy.  
You chose wrong.  
Myer has been our best dman this year, and it’s not even really close.  

Edler got old

Hughes only cares about one side of the ice 

Tanev plays for calgary. Lol

Hamonic has been either injured or just not good. 
Benn....... Why?

Joulevi.  He’s getting there. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1