The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jimmy Vesey | #24 | LW

-Vintage Canuck-

Over 18 minutes TOI, 3rd best xGF%, 4th best individual expected goals, 2 shots, 3 attempted, drew a penalty, 2 blocked shots.

That’s a really solid overall debut.

Had a couple miscues, likely due to lack of familiarity, but also had a couple moments where he very nearly pulled off something special.

Hopefully he keeps up these performance levels, settles in and gains familiarity with teammates and systems, and maybe some points will start to come for Vesey.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, bree2 said:

and took a very undisciplined penalty which could have cost us the game! 

If you watched close enough toffoli threw the first at him as the play was coming to an end. I didn't mind seeing toffoli get smack for taking a dig at the puck. I did mind Rousels phantam tripping call and the non  high stick  call that left Myers bleeding.

5 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

If you watched close enough toffoli threw the first at him as the play was coming to an end. I didn't mind seeing toffoli get smack for taking a dig at the puck. I did mind Rousels phantam tripping call and the non  high stick  call that left Myers bleeding.

i actually did watch "CLOSE ENOUGH"  i know What Toffoli did, but Jake was lucky Montreal did not score on his penalty. i still say it was stupid of Jake , 

15 hours ago, iceman64 said:

2 years and it's irrelevant if Vesey sticks or not, Podz is here soon.. Bo Vasily and Nils is going to be one F of a line... quote me on that, not saying I'm not the first seeing it but I'm stoked... 

This would be the hardest working production line in the league. These guys are Beasts every night.

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Was it dumb? Yes.

But he was also punched first. 

Wasn't everyone complaining that the team has no heart or pushback? 

These boards are funny. People get mad for having no pushback, and the same people also get mad when we pushback. They kinda go hand in hand. When you play that style of hockey, penalties will happen. People will never be happy lol. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

These boards are funny. People get mad for having no pushback, and the same people also get mad when we pushback. They kinda go hand in hand. When you play that style of hockey, penalties will happen. People will never be happy lol. 

You gotta pick your spots though. At that point in the game you gotta be disciplined. Way better to beat them on the scoreboard.

And if you’re gonna get a penalty make it worth it. Feed him a few fists not just one quick shot.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

You gotta pick your spots though. At that point in the game you gotta be disciplined. Way better to beat them on the scoreboard.

And if you’re gonna get a penalty make it worth it. Feed him a few fists not just one quick shot.

100%. I’m just saying it’s funny how no matter what people won’t be satisfied, especially when it’s Jake involved. I do agree that you gotta pick your spots, but people gotta know that sometimes you’re gonna take penalties when you pushback. 

• Cheers 3

On 3/20/2021 at 2:34 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Was it dumb? Yes.

But he was also punched first. 

Wasn't everyone complaining that the team has no heart or pushback? 

Yeah, I liked how he pushed back but it seemed obvious that the Zebras was looking to give the Habs there third powerplay cause that last five minutes it just felt like the circumtstances are being created for a last minute special (although, the Motte delay of game was legit but it gave them two straight PP within the last five minutes of the third period); perhaps some situational awareness from JV would had been prudent but everything happens quick and in other games stuff like those are ignored.   The Canucks should have a book on these Zebras and there biases...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Getting back to Vesey; so far I've liked his game. I Iike how he competes for pucks in the tough areas, we need the help in that area. And has the hockey sense to play with offensive players.

I think it was a shrewd pickup. 

He seems like another Pearson best case or Leivo more realistically. 

Can play up and down the lineup, with his solid size and speed combo.

Doesn't really stand out in any one area. Not overly aggressive either.

Quality 3rd liner potentially? 

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

He seems like another Pearson best case or Leivo more realistically. 

Can play up and down the lineup, with his solid size and speed combo.

Doesn't really stand out in any one area. Not overly aggressive either.

Quality 3rd liner potentially? 

I'd guess Leivo-level is probably where he lands at a best-case scenario, which is pretty good. Worst case, he's a 13th forward for cheap enough.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I tend to think Leivo plays a more physical style, but they're both on the same cap hit, Vesey a couple of points more but he did play with a better skilled team mates in TO

Leivo is more physical but Vesey is much better offensively. Vesey put up 16,17,17 goals in his first 3 years in the league. Leivo never even hit 10 until he got traded to Vancouver. 

Vesey had the skill set to put up 15-20 goals in the NHL which is exactly what we need on our 3rd line. If cap space permits next year a 3rd line of Vesey  Lind  Virtanen would work quite well.