The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Adam Gaudette to Blackhawks for Matthew Highmore

8 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I'm pretty sure Highmore will require expansion protection so unless there's a pick coming back, I don't really understand this.

Why would we need to protect him? Why would Seattle take him? And if they did, we would be happy.

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yikes! First impressions are not good.

Not knocking Highmore, and he’s a Canuck, so I’ll soon learn to love him (like every player that wears our colours), but this seems like a bad trade.

Gaudette is only one year off a 33 points in 59 game season. He just figured out his dietary issues, and likely will be able to get bigger and stronger over the coming years. Has proven a lot more than Highmore, and is a better bet to be the superior NHLer long term.

Feels like a trade we will regret. Only question is how much?

Remember when the Canucks got Naslund for Stojanov?? 

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Wouldn’t it have been better to just waive Gaudette than take on a contract spot?

An undrafter, undersized winger with no offence as the return seems worse than nothing.

I can’t believe there wasn’t a 3rd round pick to be had at least.

Cue the apologists suddenly saying that Gaudette was bad in the room and the Covid thing was at fault.  Public health and the doctors said that the outbreak wasn’t due to anyone breaking rules.

This.

1 minute ago, SNuck said:

Really weird how people are framing this as because Gaudette supposedly gave the team Covid (with nothing to back that up). That's a serious accusation to throw around with no evidence, and also a ridiculous defense of management. 

Agreed. Some are fine with reaching these days to justify a poorly thought out trade.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, bertspissedoff said:

Can't help but think this is the result of cap crunch from signing a whole bunch of plugs like roussel, Sutter, and of course Eriksson

not likely.  This is a dressing room thing, almost guaranteed

Jim Benning said this three days ago: 

“I think it's more the human side of things,” the GM explained. “They've dealt with a lot in the last couple of weeks, getting the virus themselves and running through families and stuff. And I just don't think (trading them) is the right thing to do at this point in time.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I can’t believe there wasn’t a 3rd round pick to be had at least.

That's the problem with people who live in their own reality. It's like the people that say "jumbo should have just signed Pearson for 2 million" or "could have offered Tampa a 4th round pick cause Miller is a cap dump"

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I view this as, Benning feels that Lind is ready for the NHL and that he needed to make room for him. I believe Gaudette also had arbitration rights this coming summer, whereas Highmore is signed at a nice cap friendly rate of 725k for another season.

Highmore has potential, as does Gaudette. Will see how it plays out, but I think this is just making room for someone else to move up. 

I'll have to admit, I don't know anything about Highmore.... but from what I can see, he doesn't look like anything to be excited about.

2 minutes ago, SNuck said:

Really weird how people are framing this as because Gaudette supposedly gave the team Covid (with nothing to back that up). That's a serious accusation to throw around with no evidence, and also a ridiculous defense of management. 

to be fair, there's pretty damning video evidence that his wife, at least, wasn't taking it seriously.  Not like there's no smoke here at all

• Cheers 1