The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Eichel wants out of Buffalo. Says there is disconnect with organization.

Nave

Buffalo should be banned from drafting until they get their franchise back in order.

They’re killing young men’s careers, and therefore, the game.

The NHL has punished team out of the draft for much lesser violations.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Buffalo should be banned from drafting until they get their franchise back in order.

They’re killing young men’s careers, and therefore, the game.

this is true. They are already in last place for next year, not even trying to hide it. The cap floor is supposed to be thing that keeps teams at least being arguably competitive but thats not enough anymore. 

Maybe the cap floor needs to come up to force teams like this to field better teams. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this is true. They are already in last place for next year, not even trying to hide it. The cap floor is supposed to be thing that keeps teams at least being arguably competitive but thats not enough anymore. 

Maybe the cap floor needs to come up to force teams like this to field better teams. 

For all the NHL teams that are out there, Buffalo and Arizona have to be the worst. I like the idea of raising the cap floor. But I worry they would just fill it with dead weight cap space. They are known for tanking and trying to get 1st overall. That needs to stop too. Nobody wants to even play there it seems. Which is sad because I remember the height of the franchise and the good years they had. Lafontaine, Peca. Hasek, the run to the finals. Those were some great years for the team. I grew up as a huge goalie fan, and Hasek was my favorite to watch so I used to really like the Sabres...Since then it's just been a mess. What the heck happened to this once proud team???

7 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

For all the NHL teams that are out there, Buffalo and Arizona have to be the worst. I like the idea of raising the cap floor. But I worry they would just fill it with dead weight cap space. They are known for tanking and trying to get 1st overall. That needs to stop too. Nobody wants to even play there it seems. Which is sad because I remember the height of the franchise and the good years they had. Lafontaine, Peca. Hasek, the run to the finals. Those were some great years for the team. I grew up as a huge goalie fan, and Hasek was my favorite to watch so I used to really like the Sabres...Since then it's just been a mess. What the heck happened to this once proud team???

I don't think many owners would bankroll pure $&!# teams for very long tho.

I guess the one saving thing for Canucks fans is the 1st oa won't be going to a team in Alberta. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Bringing up Detroit ... wasn't Detroit also a destination city for Free Agents? 

Exactly.  For pro athletes, it's all about the quality of the team; not so much the city.  If Buff had a good management team, the Sabres would be a very good hockey team and would be a popular destination for players.  Look at Edmonton.  When they were winning their cups, they had no problem signing anyone they wanted.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think many owners would bankroll pure $&!# teams for very long tho.

I guess the one saving thing for Canucks fans is the 1st oa won't be going to a team in Alberta. 

No agreed, owners want to make money. Not toil in the basement for years while suffering in revenue loss. The Buffalo situation is interesting because it just seems like a ship at sea with out a rudder. They are totally directionless.

Haha, at least we can thank Buffalo for that. Good point.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Arizona:

Fail Hold On GIF by Robert E Blackmon

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

That’s right. 
There’s a difference between rebuilding, trying to succeed, and blatantly not caring at all about your players.

And there is a pattern with that franchise. 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Cap floor is meaningless if you can hit it with Chris Pronger, Henrik Zettiburg, Loui Player Name, OEL etc.

Crap in, crap out regardless of the floor.

1 hour ago, Chris12345 said:

Not suggesting it's transferable to this year and the cap hit is less but he didn't live up to the money in previous years.

Even with the past years, there is still a difference there. Zetterberg and Pronger are not even playing anymore and Player Name was just a bad contract to begin with. At least with OEL, his "bad" years are still better than a lot of other defenders in this league.

Perhaps this wasn't the intention, but I just don't think it's fair to really throw him under the bus at this point when he's starting fresh and we haven't even seen what he'll be like here. Your point could have been just as easily made without his name so there wasn't even a legitimate reason to throw him in the conversation in the first place in my opinion.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Even with the past years, there is still a difference there. Zetterberg and Pronger are not even playing anymore and Player Name was just a bad contract to begin with. At least with OEL, his "bad" years are still better than a lot of other defenders in this league.

Perhaps this wasn't the intention, but I just don't think it's fair to really throw him under the bus at this point when he's starting fresh and we haven't even seen what he'll be like here. Your point could have been just as easily made without his name so there wasn't even a legitimate reason to throw him in the conversation in the first place in my opinion.

Yep totally. Wasn't the intention at all. Hope he does well here.

Point being you can easily get to the cap floor with a mix of active high contracts and retired contracts.

Clearly he is playing vs retired.

My only point is you can manage to the floor without being competitive if you wanted to.

Edited by Chris12345

The cap floor rising would not impact teams being competitive.

The culture of tanking and purposely losing needs to be severely punished by the league. And there needs to be serious restrictions on how often a team can pick top 3 within a 5 year period. The league needs to disincentivize tanking. And they need to come up with a far better solution as to what constitutes retirement by a player. If a player cant play anymore, especially with some mystery ailment like being allergic to your equipment or severely concussed but working in a high level job with the league, they need to be considered forcibly retired with the cap hit that goes along with it. And the same full cap hit should apply in the case of the team who signed the dumb contract and also separately to any teams that have traded for the player. Retirement and permanent ltir should be exactly the same outcome cap wise.

Want to end the BS? Thats the blueprint.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The cap floor rising would not impact teams being competitive.

The culture of tanking and purposely losing needs to be severely punished by the league. And there needs to be serious restrictions on how often a team can pick top 3 within a 5 year period. The league needs to disincentivize tanking. And they need to come up with a far better solution as to what constitutes retirement by a player. If a player cant play anymore, especially with some mystery ailment like being allergic to your equipment or severely concussed but working in a high level job with the league, they need to be considered forcibly retired with the cap hit that goes along with it. And the same full cap hit should apply in the case of the team who signed the dumb contract and also separately to any teams that have traded for the player. Retirement and permanent ltir should be exactly the same outcome cap wise.

Want to end the BS? Thats the blueprint.

They made changes to the draft lottery to combat tanking.

A team cannot win the lottery more than twice in a five-year period. (Lottery wins prior to the 2022 NHL Draft Lottery are not applied towards this total.)

If you really want teams to prevent tanking, you need to have a trade deadlines by the start of training camp, rather than on late February/early March deadline day.   This will force teams to field a better team with a choice, signing a wash-up vets or allowing their young players play before the start of the season rather than signing free agents that they will have no use for. except to sell assets at the deadlines.   This will also force players to make their decision on whether to sign that organization is known for losing for more money.

10 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

If you really want teams to prevent tanking, you need to have a trade deadlines by the start of training camp, rather than on late February/early March deadline day.   This will force teams to field a better team with a choice, signing a wash-up vets or allowing their young players play before the start of the season rather than signing free agents that they will have no use for. except to sell assets at the deadlines.   This will also force players to make their decision on whether to sign that organization is known for losing for more money.

whoops, 3 star players went down with injury? might as well forfeit the season since you can't trade for reinforcements. 

sorry, but not a very well thought out idea. 

4 minutes ago, tas said:

whoops, 3 star players went down with injury? might as well forfeit the season since you can't trade for reinforcements. 

sorry, but not a very well thought out idea. 

That would suck but that's the nature of the game.   Maybe add a rule where you sign a free agent for one year deal is not eligible for any trade for one year and if you resign that player the one-year deal next off-season then he becomes eligible for a trade only on the same team he resign with.  That would be the rule I would use to prevent teams from doing one-year deal just for trading asset if you knew that you might not be good next season.  It would be the same for bubbling playoff team where they would sell their asset for picks if they fell down unexpectedly.  I think that it would be a good rules for all teams and if you think you are close for the cup, it is a risky one-year deal where you cannot trade that player for one whole year just to unload that contract where it would dump their bad one-year contract on non-playoff team..  When you add this rules, all deadlines would become hockey trades, rather than buyer/seller.   

One thought, I might add, if any player entering in their final year of contract is not permitted to be traded once the season starts unless he is signed to a contract extension deal then he becomes eligible to be traded at anytime but I'm not sure if that idea would become accepted.  

Thoughts?