The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gutsy effort tonight and Boeser/Miller looked good but really impressed me was the kid Jonah

Rate this topic

Harold27k

3 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

I find it hard to believe that the coach is telling players not to engage in physical play

I don't, I think Green prefers to.retaliate on the score sheet. The problem with that tho is other teams know there won't be any physical deterrent. 

18 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

People are vastly underestimating what Gadj can bring to this team longterm.   He has the potential to play top 6 minutes one day.   His skating will come.  

I used to think you either had the ability to skate or not. Horvat and Draisatle helped change that bias and its clear that it's something that can be worked on. Question is does Gadj Jane the same work ethic as Horvat to improve his skating? 

10 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I go for Kronwalls style of retaliation. 

Primary a heavy hip hit as they should be. 

So my version is if our stars get hurt we go out hitting them all over, but never fighting. 

The fight is just pure stupid and is only allowed because it generates more money, yet still somwhat controlled. 

Sadly, hipchecks were officially frowned on as soon as the Canucks ascended the throne with Hammer and Ballard. 

9 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I used to think you either had the ability to skate or not. Horvat and Draisatle helped change that bias and its clear that it's something that can be worked on. Question is does Gadj Jane the same work ethic as Horvat to improve his skating? 

By all accounts he does have a strong work ethic and desire to succeed.  No dummy either, so I expect he'll do everything possible to improve his skating. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

The turnover was from a very ill advised tip pass to the middle of the ice when he could have probably received the puck and carried to center for a dump in.  Very obvious unforced error and unfortunate to happen in his first game.  It was good for Gadjovich to step up for Highmore and the fight seemed to fire up the team so, at the very least, that's one way he might be able to contribute in the future.

Personally, I will reserve judgment on Gadjovich to see how he plays in the next couple games to end the season and even then, I think it'll be hard to fully judge his future just on these small number of games.  His play in the AHL needs to be considered too and I'm not familiar enough with the details to judge whether any deficiencies there outweigh his obvious production.  It would of course be great to see Gadjovich get more of a shot with the Canucks moving forward so, at minimum, let's hope these games help him understand where he needs to improve and that he sticks with the team through the expansion draft.

Don't forget, this year's AHL was much less potent than in past years, as most teams carried their best AHL level players on their taxi squads. I was pleased that Jonah looks to have improved his footspeed. He needs further work on his skating, but I can see that he's potentially a Big Burt type winger, big, strong, rough, willing to drop the mitts, and most importantly he has good hands. I could see that he also thinks the game well, I was watching him in the defensive zone, checking his spacing and looking for his man. It might take more seasoning in the A before he's ready, but he definitely has potential. It was obvious to me that Jonah has to get used to the speed of the NHL, he gets away with that tip pass in Utica, in the future he'll learn to make the safe play. Power forwards take longer to develop. Lind's first game was similar, he made the adjustment by the second game. He's a better skater than Jonah, probably has more offensive upside, but Jonah brings a heavier game with more jam. I'd say Jonah is a top five prospect in this organization. I'd list, Pods, Rathbone, Lind, OJ and Gadj in that order.

Edited by canuckleheads fan

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't, I think Green prefers to.retaliate on the score sheet. The problem with that tho is other teams know there won't be any physical deterrent. 

How you retaliate on the score board is by wearing them down physically

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

People are vastly underestimating what Gadj can bring to this team longterm.   He has the potential to play top 6 minutes one day.   His skating will come.  

he strikes me as a ryane clowe upside. 

People have underrated Gadj his entire career... saying he was too slow for Junior, too slow for the AHL, and now too slow for the NHL.

He works really hard, is a smart kid who understands the game and is tough as a brick... with a right hand that is comparable with Gudbranson's.

But those same hands are soft when handling a hockey stick and he definitely has a knack around the net and a nose for scoring opportunities.

He should be given a chance.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*

11 hours ago, Timråfan said:

So why let the referees fighting continue if it's not about expectation(money) from the crowd?

Fighting is not some sort of code. Fighting isn't essential to hockey.  Therefor just the fools fight. 

The smart ones don't want to risk any unnecessary injuries. 

I guess only fools stand-up for their teammates then? sounds pretty selfish not to defend your teammate to not risk any unnecessary injuries...

I could literally name 50 players off the top of my head who were elite players who also fought, are those guys all fools & not "smart ones'?

I will die on a hill defending the Sedins but a lot of nights of they had more push-back or truculence they would have gotten a lot more of the respect they deserved for themselves

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

The turnover was from a very ill advised tip pass to the middle of the ice when he could have probably received the puck and carried to center for a dump in.  Very obvious unforced error and unfortunate to happen in his first game.  It was good for Gadjovich to step up for Highmore and the fight seemed to fire up the team so, at the very least, that's one way he might be able to contribute in the future.

Personally, I will reserve judgment on Gadjovich to see how he plays in the next couple games to end the season and even then, I think it'll be hard to fully judge his future just on these small number of games.  His play in the AHL needs to be considered too and I'm not familiar enough with the details to judge whether any deficiencies there outweigh his obvious production.  It would of course be great to see Gadjovich get more of a shot with the Canucks moving forward so, at minimum, let's hope these games help him understand where he needs to improve and that he sticks with the team through the expansion draft.

Lol. Ya think? Only a canuck fan would have a judgment call on a player this early. Try 2 season,  and maybe u have something to say that can be taken seriously long term on a player. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Haha 1

Gotta be honest and as some already pointed out it was a terrible debut.  He'll be expected to stick up for his teammates but that was a brutal turnover that won't earn any coaches trust.  Hopefully he can make amends.

Meh, not much of a showing and a mistake as he rushed a play, but he's a big boy who showed he'll stand up for a teammate. Agreed that he shouldn't look to become a fighter all the time - if that's the only way he can stick in the NHL he won't be in for much of a career. He'll definitely need to work on his skating and adjust to the speed of the play, but as someone else said, hopefully this is his worst game in the NHL.

22 hours ago, Harold27k said:

Gadovich he went looking for Calgary dman after a cheap shot on Hughes and he was all go!   What a difference from a washed up Rouselle who is all bark and little go now.

And as much as I had been lookin forward to Zack Mackewan in the lineup most of the season and was hoping Green would start him more when injuries were not so prevalent ,this kid has much more upside. He has shown a real goal scoring talent in Utica with 15 goals in less games but he is tough and willing to initiate and we need this type of player to be a regular in the lineup.

Lets do something right nuck management and keep him off the exposure draft wire to the Seattle Kracken pls

To those of us paying attention beneath the radar of a lot of fans and media more than ever, this is not really news, not everyone is a young phenom but that doesn't mean a potentially great player take a but longer to break in but he's had exactly the same success but look at JB's thinking, Lind, a bit of the same but Rous was brought in primary to help push Jake and mentor him and others like him and just because Jake was/is almost unteachable wasn't Rous' fault but having a bottom 6 coach on ice (when he wasn't injured) with the experience his has. So don't go blaming Rous, and mis-judge the value that will surely show especially in Big Mac, who still has room to grow but we don't need that as much anymore so just because Jonah and Kole didn't hit stride until now was a bitch of a glitch in our depth but it doesn't matter now as they have started to progress SO we don't have to sign expensive FA's which I don't see needing to happen, especially with Podz arriving..  this team is going to be a lot more fun to watch steadily and move up a notch, JB is/has been after those kinds of players since that was another reason why Rous, was here in the first place so we're not the soft butter team that can't make it past the first round BUT size and skill is a tight thin line, the best teams in the NHL that won cups had a number on their teams from their farm but we sold ours, until now that is, thankfully.. but solid grit bigger guys who can put a puck in the net and make 3rd-4th lines not only shut down but a threat to score their own and often do, that wins a Stanley Cup, but we don't have a cup or one that could compete with the elite teams for one but we will once the tweaks are worked out that seem to be getting done and the cap isn't a huge issue as those make it out to be with bridge deals until the fans are back in the seats and the cap rises so geeeez  the sky isn't falling... 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, logic said:

I guess only fools stand-up for their teammates then? sounds pretty selfish not to defend your teammate to not risk any unnecessary injuries...

I could literally name 50 players off the top of my head who were elite players who also fought, are those guys all fools & not "smart ones'?

I will die on a hill defending the Sedins but a lot of nights of they had more push-back or truculence they would have gotten a lot more of the respect they deserved for themselves

Grind the other team down but don't use a silly fight. 

The mentality of the team isn't particularly good if they must have a fight to get an adrenaline rush. 

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Grind the other team down but don't use a silly fight. 

The mentality of the team isn't particularly good if they must have a fight to get an adrenaline rush. 

I guess this mentality is why only 1 Swedish captain has ever won the Stanley cup in NHL history 

I partially retract this statement because take a look at Gabe Landeskog tonight and what he did, that fight, sticking up for his teammate Rantanen after a questionable hit, comes back sets up a goal, scores a goal, Gordie Howe Hattrick, thats how you set the tone as a leader, how you can tell me fighting isn't apart of the fabric of hockey is laughable 

Edited by logic

17 hours ago, Googlie said:

It was actually Chatfield that skated over to Mackey, both had their sticks up, then Gadjovich skated in and challenged Mackey.  That's why Gadj got the instigator.

I don't see it that way.

Gadj gets one in the chops before Chatter gets there.

6 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I don't see it that way.

Gadj gets one in the chops before Chatter gets there.

Regardless, Gads destroyed that guy.  He face punched him so much he stopped, and let the guy off the hook.  He could have pounded him more.  Likely one of the linesmen said “enough boys”, or some such thing.  That’s the kind of pounding where one guy (the Calgary guy in this case) gets really hurt.  

Gads is a seriously good fighter, and should be playing 5 on 5 with Petey.  He’d be a 20 goal guy too.  

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Regardless, Gads destroyed that guy.  He face punched him so much he stopped, and let the guy off the hook.  He could have pounded him more.  Likely one of the linesmen said “enough boys”, or some such thing.  That’s the kind of pounding where one guy (the Calgary guy in this case) gets really hurt.  

Gads is a seriously good fighter, and should be playing 5 on 5 with Petey.  He’d be a 20 goal guy too.  

Hogz - Petey - Gadj 

That can potentially be a legit top line someday.

• Like 1