The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So - Who Should The Canucks Take At The Number 9 Spot?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

16 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

I have Petey at 3.  I’d take Makar and Heiskanen over him.  No need to apologize to me.

Normally I just ignore things like this but I’d like to point out Makar joined a powerhouse in the making he has inflated point and Miro join a team that moved up an absurd amount of spots in the draft and wasn’t bad. Poor Petey joined a team where if he played bad he lost he plays good they still Might lose

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

To be honest, I don’t think Edvinsson will be there by the time we’re up.  Carson Lambos has really impressed me so far.  I think he could be one of the hidden gems in this draft.

Looks like he could be a good pick.

Edited by RichieCanuck

18 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

If you were Benning, who would you (realistically) pick at the #9 spot?   (Assuming that guys like Power, Luke Hughes, Clarke, Edvinsson, and the other general consensus top 8 picks get selected)?

I would rather trade down to get a roster d men and/or free up cap tbh. This draft is a crapshoot. A player at 20 may be just as good as the one at 9. 

I believe Morgan Rielly wants out of TOR, possibly come home. Maybe Kerfoot wants to come home too. 

to TOR - 1st (#9), Schmidt and MacEwen

to VAN - 1st (2022), Kerfoot and Rielly (who will re-sign here)

Canucks make the playoffs next season and get two 1sts at next year's stronger Draft

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I believe Morgan Rielly wants out of TOR, possibly come home. Maybe Kerfoot wants to come home too. 

to TOR - 1st (#9), Schmidt and MacEwen

to VAN - 1st (2022), Kerfoot and Rielly (who will re-sign here)

Canucks make the playoffs next season and get two 1sts at next year's stronger Draft

Offensively talented though he may be, he's not the D we're looking for with Hughes and Rathbone already on the roster.

Unlike Toronto, I'd hope we're actually aiming to build a playoff team.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Offensively talented though he may be, he's not the D we're looking for with Hughes and Rathbone already on the roster.

Yep we need a Suter/Seabrook type to go along with Hughes.

Only one D man can run a first unit powerplay. You need the other guy to be able to run a first unit penalty kill.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep we need a Sutter/Seabrook type to go along with Hughes.

Only one D man can run a first unit powerplay. You need the other guy to be able to run a first unit penalty kill.

Suter, but yes, exactly :lol:

That and cover Hughes to do his thing and generally be the 25 minute munching, rock on the back end for the team.

A guy like Dobson would be ideal but we likely can't afford to pry him from NYI. Skilled enough to keep up with Hughes but solid all arounder to cover him as well.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

• 10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Who is the Quinn Hughes/ Elias pettersson of this years draft? 

the knock on Q was he was small and too much of a risk taker. 

on pettersson that he was small and weak on his skate. 

If there was ever a year where teams swing for the fences (Canucks included) it’s this year.

Thankfully Jim has an appetite for risky picks based on significant amount of future projection going back to his first draft with Canucks. 

Which player in this draft is underrated and would excite fans like these two guys. 

Kent Johnson

6'1 | 167 lbs

unbelievable hands, vision, creativity

slight frame

Craig Button even calls his NHL comparable is Pettersson take that for whatever you want). Picking him would be doubling down on the intense skill level side of the team (Petey, Hughes, Hogs) as opposed to a McTavish pick which would be more in the Horvat or Podkolzin mode.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I have a feeling that Benning is going to package the pick with a player or two for a top 4 defenseman. If he can strike gold like he did with Miller, I'm good. If I was Benning I'd set my sights on Colton Parayko. He has one year left on his contract, is a right handed, 6' 6" 230 lb defenseman who can skate and score, and would compliment Hughes perfectly. He's 28, so he lines up with the likes of Miller and Horvat as far as age. Would be costly, but he'd provide an upgrade to the defense immediately. Re-sign Hamonic and the defense is a lot better, mind you still run by Baumgartner:(, but it's better.

Hughes - Parayko

Schmidt - Hamonic

Juolevi - Myers

Rathbone

that would be a nice 1st pairing.... I guess it depends on what St Louis thinks it wants to do. 

So our 1st plus _________? 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that would be a nice 1st pairing.... I guess it depends on what St Louis thinks it wants to do. 

A dream a perfect fit but a guy st louis loves. I doubt they would take any offers and will give him a boat load of money soon

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Good question. I'd assume it would be a younger roster player or two, and probably future picks as well.

Of course Parayko is great but that is terribly short sighted.

Not really. If he signs long term here and forges a great partnership with Hughes, it will lead to the Canucks being a stronger team overall, especially defensively, and impact their playoff chances significantly. 

No one knows what Pettersson and Hughes will sign for. No one knows which present Canucks players may be traded before the next season begins. No one knows which present Canucks players who are going to be UFAs will be re-signed, and which will go to FA. No one knows who Benning may sign as free agent, if he does sign any at all. 

You're basing your idea on too many variables that you have little to no idea about. Only Benning and those in his inner circle have any possible clue. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt

I always say draft the BPA...full stop...but given how crazy of a draft year it is I would have the following in the back of my mind if I was Benning:

a) I would not draft a d-man at #9

b) i would consider trading the pick for a young d-man or if the pick is kept, really focusing on picking d prospects in the second and third rounds (could be some diamonds in the later rounds).

c) If they draft at 9, go after a centre. If they can get the centre they like by trading back, then do it to accumulate additional picks in rounds 2 and 3.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good question. I'd assume it would be a younger roster player or two, and probably future picks as well.

I wonder if there's a riskier way to go about this. I'd like to get Zadorov from CHI, big mean Russian kid before the draft and protect him. That means we expose Schmidt, e.g., but thats maybe OK because if Seattle takes him it opens up the cap space to go after anther RHD like Hamilton. Or if not, we bring in that size and toughness on the cheap.

• Vintage 1

Keep the pick.

Podkolzin coming up. Hopefully a Johnson or McTavish pick. At least one of Lockwood, Lind or Gadjovich panning out in the next couple of years. We could have a really nice top 9.

All we need is significant change on defence then. New defensive coach. FA pickup. Idk?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1