The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Henrik and Daniel Sedin named Special Advisors to General Manager

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

What I gathered from the announcement, the Sedins will likely:

- spy on J.B. and the coaching staff and report directly to the ownership 

- be a tie breaker during player negotiations. They may ask Pettersson and Hughes, "do you want $ or do you want your names on the rafters?"

- be very good at answering tough questions by answering questions that they wish you have asked. 

:lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Cool.

Maybe they can tell us how to not win a Cup…

Weren't you on here a couple days ago calling me useless? How is this comment any better? It's ok to criticize two of the most iconic, classy players in Canucks history who have spent countless hours helping and volunteering in the community and donating millions of dollars to it-  but don't question anything about the GM or current sub-par players or thems fightin' words? You make no sense chief.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

- be a tie breaker during player negotiations. They may ask Pettersson and Hughes, "do you want $ or do you want your names on the rafters?"

- be very good at answering tough questions by answering questions that they wish you have asked. 

In a serious note, I do think having the Sedins spy on J.B. is more tactful than naming a new President of Hockey Operations.  It's less threatening. 

It's interesting that they spoke with Trevor Linden already. They probably know what happened between J.B. and Trevor and they know how to co-exist with J.B. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • RoughGame 2

14 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Seconding that congratulations!

The net gain of simply adding more voices with NHL experience is a bonus.  That JB will at least have to hear, and pretend to listen to. For that reason alone I'm in favour.  Of course its yet another add of the long line "rookie" execs, from Gillis on, so as not to intimidate the owners into feeling they are not free to wade in on decisions. Its thrilling for Hank and Danny, and I'm happy for them.  But how much influence will they have? How much should they have? We'll see.

If Bieksa had written that as an autonomous poster on here, he'd get a few paper bags from the bleeding hearts I'm sure.  If you read between the lines its a bit of a jab that that part of player evaluation may be a blind spot for them.  And JB made it clear, although he also praised Linden in much the same way, that they would be involved in the draft, pro scouting, and FA signings.  Great, especially for their Swedish player connections.  But their definition of toughness is how many cross checks and punches you can take....and skate away. We need the other kind of toughness too. And with their stressing about helping shape the "culture" of the team doesn't that make anyone a tiny bit nervous? 

I'm sure they had a big say in advocating to sign LE.  Not a player in the mold of what had worked best as their winger in Burr, and the style of what works on other teams 1st line too like a Gallagher, but a soft, (supposedly skilled) forward.

Its a further move towards the Swedification of the Canucks.  Reminds me of some teams on the East Coast of the US that have attracted a strong Russian core.  Its becoming an attractive place for Swedish, and other Nordic nation players.  A lot because of who else was, and is, here, and helped create a welcome community.  Which isn't a bad thing at all. Especially if that attracts the cream of the crop from that area of the world. Its a positive move for sure. 

That should help ease your concerns. I think the twins more so than anyone realize what Burr brought to the team and how much he contributed to their own success. They are not blind to the failures in the LE signing, or perhaps to management’s failures as well. We should all remember that they are adding two voices in scouting, structure, etc, not getting veto power.  The success of drafting for the Canucks is in the strength of all the scouts and is a collaboration with JB having the ultimate say. I don’t believe that see’s this as a magic fix but rather another step to improving,

I’m sure that Benning has a pretty good idea of what the team is missing. Whether he’s able to fill those holes remains to be seen.

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I work in the sports world, including with the nhl itself, the nhlpa, and the individual teams.

Its not fake news bud.

your job doesn't provide you with any unique insight, as has already been established. 

• Cheers 4

Noticed an emphasis on developing a winning culture, or in other words; developing a standard for players to adhere too regarding commitment & individual expectations.

With their stature they carry weight in communicating that to players. Looking forward to having them work with our players. 

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I work in the sports world, including with the nhl itself, the nhlpa, and the individual teams.

Its not fake news bud.

cool story, bud. I highly doubt you have any inside info on what Aqulini does.  

• Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

cool story, bud. I highly doubt you have any inside info on what Aqulini does.  

I think he just admitted that he is Drance or Jeff Paterson with that comment. I think Drance more likely. JPatt can't play the two face act as well as Drance. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

I do hope they are influential in that "do you want $ or do you want your names on the rafters?" thing.  They did it with their first contract. They even got Kesler to buy in.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I search thru his garbage bins at least once a week.:ph34r:  Send me a 'PM' for all the inside info. I got!:P

it was the suggestion that Aqulini wanted Willie D that blew it. 

I'm very happy with what I'm hearing out of the Sedins today, they are doing this the right way. Even with "meddling". 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it was the suggestion that Aqulini wanted Willie D that blew it. 

I'm very happy with what I'm hearing out of the Sedins today, they are doing this the right way. Even with "meddling". 

You take the good with the bad.  Canucks owner spends at least money.  Worst is when you have a 'meddling' owner that isn't willing to put up his own money to try & make the club better.  See the Vancouver Whitecaps as an example.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You take the good with the bad.  Canucks owner spends at least money.  Worst is when you have a 'meddling' owner that isn't willing to put up his own money to try & make the club better.  See the Vancouver Whitecaps as an example.

every one of the major GM or president hires has been given a lot of rope, sometimes maybe too much. Thats why I'm glad the Sedins are taking this approach, and learning things from the ground up, it just sets them up for success down the road.

• Cheers 1