The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Henrik and Daniel Sedin named Special Advisors to General Manager

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am not saying the Aquilini's have been bad owners. I am simply saying even at the time it didnt feel like Benning or Willie D were really decisions driven by Linden. The public face was that they were but they really felt like they had more than just approval level influence from ownership.

I think this is where people lose me on the Aquilini meddling theories. I would bet the farm that Aqua had no idea who Willie D was. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BlastPast said:

What is up with this guy's weird Canucks/Benning infatuation ; this isn't the first time I've seen this juiceless wannabe give his snarky .02 with regards to either. Isn't he a Toronto guy? This accomplishment-free dilettante should probably focus more on how his team is going to ice more than one line next year over what's going on here.

hard to say, I don't know why anyone who hates so many things about a team would spend so much time on it. 

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Not sure what 'big boy' is supposed to mean? Would love to have Bieksa and Bur in the management. That said I don't want another Oilers management group. Being team mates and being effective executives could be a challenge. If KB saw a future in hockey management you would think he would be managing somewhere. Serious respect for Bur who wasted no time getting into coaching. I suspect lots of teams will be looking at him for next year as the Habs inch towards the Cup finals. 

I get it; and it will mainly be up to Bieksa - if being in management is something he wants to pursue.  Interesting you brought up the Deadmonton situation, perhaps the Canucks management can look at that situation and learn from it cause I mainly attribute there failure(s) to having bad leadership and Holland is somewhat having a better approach through patience.  

At this point, he seems to be content on just being a TV personality.   

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

We all knew this was coming and they are a welcome addition!

These two are brilliant and have so much to offer in this capacity.  

Well done, Canucks.  Welcome back, to our Swedish twins!!!!!

image.png

Just realized they are not wearing any shin pads lmao look how tiny their legs look!!

10 hours ago, J-P said:

I know many have an impression of the twins being somewhat mild mannered although their hyper competitive nature has been well documented. To those believing they're not up for harsh business decisions in the future, here's a couple of anecdotes. 

1) In the WC semis 2013 Sweden faced Canada. The day before the game the Sedins stared down Canada's goalie Mike Smith at the end of Canada's practice. When asked about it in the press Henrik said "you like to remind yourself of his tendencies" and added that Smith was a "big goalie who dives a lot" and that "I’m going to tell the ref to keep an eye on him". When the game started one of the twins immediately ran Smith in untypical fashion. Referee didn't call it, big surprise. And yes, Smith was involved in multiple more infractions but got no calls on either and Sweden won. 

https://canucksarmy.com/2013/05/15/henrik-sedin-on-mike-smith-hes-extremely-big-and-good-at-playing-the-puck-he-also-dives-a-lot/

2) The only time I can recall when the twins called out teammates was when McCann and Virtanen was on the team. It always intrigued me that Henrik didn't defend Virtanen on his first suspension but maybe Danny's comments a while later explains why. 

"The only thing I worry about is effort,” he said. “And I think from some guys right now, the effort is not there. It’s not good enough. I think those guys know who they are. I think it’s embarrassing."

https://nationalpost.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-daniel-sedin-unhappy-with-teams-effort-level-its-embarrassing

Imo, working in the locker room and in the office has different kind of politics; we will have to wait & see how they navigate through the politics and how effective they can be - time will tell and it doesn’t have any biases.   Wish them well and at this point: they both deserved the opportunity and bringing them on board was a no brainer for Aquaman - GCG !

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, working in the locker room and in the office has different kind of politics - we will have to wait & see how they navigate through the politics and how effective they can be - time will tell and it doesn’t have any biases.   Wish them well and at this point: they both deserved the opportunity and bringing them on board was a no brainer for Aquaman - GCG !

Agree. What I tried to highlight in my post is that the twins - while being fair and humble - are a lot tougher in their attitude than many realize, I would guess a lot tougher than Green for instance. But you're definitely right doing it on the ice and in the locker room are different things vs getting it done in management or coaching. Let's see how it plays out, I think this setup with the advisor roles is the sweet spot between big upside and low risk. 

That said - I would be very surprised if the twins don't excel...

Edited by J-P
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Normally I don't agree with anything @Squamfan posts, but in this case, I don't know that he's wrong.  The timing just seems a little suspicious.  Would this move have happened if there hadn't been "Fire Benning" chants and banners?  Would it have happened if the team had made the playoffs?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Sedins in this role.  Maybe it is a genuine move, but it just feels desperate to me.

I feel if that was the case, they'd have done it sooner.  Things have all but calmed down and this doesn't feel like a reaction to the noise....if anything, it's serving to stir it back up a bit (see:  Squam).

I think this was something that was always going to be in the works.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I feel if that was the case, they'd have done it sooner.  Things have all but calmed down and this doesn't feel like a reaction to the noise....if anything, it's serving to stir it back up a bit (see:  Squam).

I think this was something that was always going to be in the works.

I believe this is Aqulini thinking long term. The Sedins actually wanting to learn the business properly is a godsend, and they wouldn't be involved in some fluff PR move.

Give these guys a coupe of years to learn how the team functions and then look at bigger roles for them. I think they'd be great co-presidents setting the vision and tone for the team. I don't see them as hard nosed GM types, but I do think they'd know how to hire a good one. Coaches as well. 

• Cheers 2

From the sounds of it, the twins could have had a bigger role if they wanted one and may have been offered as much.

Good on them for opting to learn first by taking on pretty vague advisory roles, all things considered.

• Cheers 2

Look forward to hearing their interview today.

I don't believe this is a PR move. They said a couple years ago they would like to return in some capacity. I believe they will be good for the organization. And I don't see them allowing themselves to be used in any way shape or form.

Congratulations to the twins and welcome back

The fact that they're not that far removed from the dressing room is an asset as well. I believe they might have had a huge influence on the next captain too. I will say this, if many of you folks don't think that Jim Benning doesn't know the team needs, I call bs. He's a good hockey man, and knows the business, and the twins will only make his job a lot easier. Working in Abby, with the kids, and popping into the dressing room when the Canucks are in town will be a win/win.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think this is where people lose me on the Aquilini meddling theories. I would bet the farm that Aqua had no idea who Willie D was. 

Its not really a "theory" that the Aquilini's significantly meddle in hockey related decisions. Its an acknowledged fact in the hockey world.

It is, of course, their right to do so as its their team. But it has proven to be very costly to the team on many documented occasions. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Its not really a "theory" that the Aquilini's significantly meddle in hockey related decisions. Its an acknowledged fact in the hockey world.

no its not. There's a far better case to be made they give their GMs a ton of leeway and support. 

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

It is, of course, their right to do so as its their team. But it has proven to be very costly to the team on many documented occasions. 

uh huh. Documented by who, Sekeres? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone know what they’d be “advising” on? Surely it wouldn’t be on hockey operations/management seeing as they have pretty much no experience there. 

If this is to get them into the org and groom them with the objective of having them take over positions of more responsibility/leadership in the future, then great. Otherwise, this does seem to be a bit of a PR move.