The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Henrik and Daniel Sedin named Special Advisors to General Manager

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Sounds like an apprenticeship for an eventual promotion as they learn the ropes. The first co-GMs of the NHL in the future?

Brett Huil and Les Jackson served as Co-GMs of the Dallas Stars and it was disaster that culminated in Sean Avery being signed for 4 years @ $3.5 million AAV and eventually being claimed off waivers by the New York Rangers. 

I don't think Co-Gm's work, maybe one twin as GM and the other as President and they both go down when the team starts to suck again. Look at Stevie Yzerman, he spent 4 years as the AGM in Detroit before moving onto Tampa. With the Sedins, I don't think they go to another team just to have a practice job. When Yzerman moved on to Tampa, that job in Detroit firmly belong to Ken Holland. So let's say the Canucks fire Benning at the end of next year, do they immediately promote the Sedins or do they go with someone else for 3-7 years and THEN let the Sedins to rise up when that guy is done, maybe one as President and one as GM.

It would be a really unique power structure to have these two bouncing ideas off each other, especially if they brought in a more experience executive like Dean Lombardi to consult with them. Would the team really be worse off in the hands of two hockey guys like the Sedins and some lawyer like AGM Chris Gear or in the hands  of Benning? After he coughed up all that money on Roussel, Beagle, Ferland, Myers, Eriksson, Baertschi, Sutter I mean really when is it ever going to end? Sutter could've brought back some picks at the deadline if he were on a better deal and we traded Bonino for him, who was clearly the far better player. Than there's Baertschi, who was basically terrible for his entire bloated contract and basically played like he should be making league minimum.  They traded a 2nd rounder, who turned out to be Rasmus Andersson in exchange for this guy. WTH? Than there's Linden Vey and although his contract didn't suck he was a depth guy at best. They traded ANOTHER 2nd rounder for this guy? We could've gotten Donato, Montour or Christian Dvorak with that pick. All of a sudden we've got a top four defenseman and a top nine forward if Benning didn't waste assets on two depth guys when he could've filled the holes with UFAs. 

Honestly, this whole philosophy around firing and hiring GMs, in my opinion, is simply for optics based purposes. GMs know they'll be fired one day and the owners know they'll do the firing. It works the same way with coaches, managers and players alike. But it doesn't work that way for the owners. The GMs job is to speak to the media and take the heat for hockey related decisions. I know I just spent an entire paragraph deriding Benning's moves but I recall what occurred at the times these moves were made and they made sense. The Kesler trade? Backed against the wall. The Myers deal? Nobody else was good enough to warrant spending the money and we didn't have the assets to trade for someone. Roussel? We needed grit and we needed to fill roster spots. Ditto for Beagle. For both Roussel and Beagle, there was not a single player available that was good enough to fill the roster spots as well as both Beagle and Roussel appeared they were capable of. Eriksson was signed to get one last hurrah out the Sedins, that signing was terrible and indefensible. That summer was terrible for a lot of teams, I think Backes, Okposo and maybe a few others that I could find all during that summer. Than there's Ferland, I thought it was a great signing and at his best he's a top nine forward in the ilk of a guy like Pearson. Not bad at $3.5 Million, but it looks terrible now and he had concussion problems. 

Bottom line: I'll hold my judgement until the Twins prove they've got the chops as managers like Sakic or they'll go out as a dud like Nieuwendyk or Patrick Roy in Colorado. It really depends. 

24 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Id be okay with it. Great guy great leader whats not to like.

Like I said, the Sedins addition is a no brainer but Bieksa as team president would be a BIG BOY move.  

Boston has the identity of there team president - Cam Newly; two players that bleeds the colors of there teams (imo, Bieksa should be in the ROH, not for his stat but for the way he still loves & represents the team and he was also one of the more recognized player of that era).  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Like I said, the Sedins addition is a no brainer but Bieksa as team president would mean MR AQUAMAN from now on.  

Boston has the identity of there team president - Cam Newly; two players that bleeds the colors of there teams (imo, Bieksa should be in the ROH, not for his stat but for the way he still loves the team after his retirement.  

Id rather he be coach first. I doubt he knows a thing about being president.

12 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Id rather he be coach first. I doubt he knows a thing about being president.

Some have it in them already - they just need an opportunity.  He seems to have the leadership part (already) and does not back down when pushed - like on the ice and even during the intermission show.  Perhaps he can follow the Cam Neely career path (briefly coached as well) but this has to be something he wants to do.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

52 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Some have it in them already - they just need an opportunity.  He seems to have the leadership part (already) and does not back down when pushed - like on the ice and even during the intermission show.  Perhaps he can follow the Cam Neely career path (briefly coached as well) but this has to be something he wants to do.

That never works well for high level executives without any experience. There are way more fine detailed work involved with those jobs than what the wolf of wall street shows.

Having charisma is only like a tenth of the equation to being a successful exec.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

That never works well for high level executives without any experience. There are way more fine detailed work involved with those jobs than what the wolf of wall street shows.

Having charisma is only like a tenth of the equation to being a successful exec.

Its not even a 10th. President of Hockey Operations is a very detailed job requiring high level business skills.

Bieksa is wholly unqualified for any front office position, let alone running the entire organization.

14 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

We all knew this was coming and they are a welcome addition!

These two are brilliant and have so much to offer in this capacity.  

Well done, Canucks.  Welcome back, to our Swedish twins!!!!!

image.png

Anyone else notice they aren't wearing shin pads? :lol:

Never noticed those chicken legs before!

• Haha 3

First of all what are we getting ? Will they draw from life experiences and look at their failures ? What stopped them from hoisting the cup ? This is a PR move at best. Benning is a terrible GM and the Sedin's are going to make him better LOL . I would rather have Stan Smyl as GM at least you would get a team that can play in the playoffs. JB doesn't know how to build a defense you need size and meanness that can skate.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Like I said, the Sedins addition is a no brainer but Bieksa as team president would be a BIG BOY move.  

Boston has the identity of there team president - Cam Newly; two players that bleeds the colors of there teams (imo, Bieksa should be in the ROH, not for his stat but for the way he still loves & represents the team and he was also one of the more recognized player of that era).  

Not sure what 'big boy' is supposed to mean? Would love to have Bieksa and Bur in the management. That said I don't want another Oilers management group. Being team mates and being effective executives could be a challenge. If KB saw a future in hockey management you would think he would be managing somewhere. Serious respect for Bur who wasted no time getting into coaching. I suspect lots of teams will be looking at him for next year as the Habs inch towards the Cup finals. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, CR7 said:

I'm not sure we have the right teacher, but these 2 are pretty smart guys, hope they succeed in turning this franchise into what it was in their glory days. Also gives them the chance to win the cup that got away 

As long as he's teaching what to look for in drafting. Unless the Sedin's already have Thomas Gradin's instincts on drafting. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Having charisma is a big part of being a leader and (imo) it will come down to Bieksa - if this is something he wants to pursue.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

51 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If KB saw a future in hockey management you would think he would be managing somewhere. 

These days working in hockey media is seen as a legit avenue to hockey management as it keeps your profile out there and gets you exposure like few other roles can.  I wouldn't rule out coaching and/or management from Juices future,  he's mentioned it several times jokingly on air.