The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which forward(s) should we target as UFA?

Rate this topic

Gawdzukes

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Or they could trade Holtby, or buyout Virtanen and Roussel, or pay to dump Eriksson on a team.

There’s other avenues for moving money than trading Schmidt. 

Edited by DeNiro

Just now, Wolfgang Durst said:

My thought is that the Russian vet could be this gentleman:

8. Pavel Buchnevich

Right Wing, New York Rangers
Contract: RFA (Arbitration Eligible)
Scoop: Sources indicate new Rangers GM Chris Drury has engaged in conversation about the possibility of moving Buchnevich. Why? He is coming off a career season, where he collected 20 goals and 48 points in just 54 games – a 30-goal and 72-point run over an 82-game stretch. That means he’s about to be paid. His arbitration award, at a minimum, is well above the $4.54 million walkaway rate – and any arbitration award would walk him to free agency anyway. It’s time to either buck-up or book a ticket for Buchnevich.

Might get paid very well after his 48 points in just 54 games. Canucks would have to move out money in order to be able to add him.

Same reason I didn't think Anisimov would be the guy. I just don't think you look to add a high priced player just to ease the transition for another guy, unless you're really convinced that he makes a big improvement in the team over all.

Bear in mind, even a guy who's a healthy scratch more often than not, could fit the bill. Anything (or nothing) could happen here, but my money is on a low priced addition.

• Thanks 1

A good cheap player. One that we dont reget signing.

unfortunately Jimbo is not good at signing forward UFAs. All have been way overpriced and hugely underproduced. 

I honestly can’t remember when one of Jimbos UFAs got a point in a game. 

if anyone knows the last Jimbo UFA too get a point in a actual Canuck game. Plz post a source link cuz I probably won’t believe you.

go Canucks go

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • RoughGame 1

19 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

unfortunately Jimbo is not good at signing forward UFAs. All have been way overpriced and hugely underproduced. 

if anyone knows the last Jimbo UFA too get a point in a actual Canuck game. Plz post a source link cuz I probably won’t believe you.

go Canucks go

Like myers? Not sure whatvu mean

I probably already answered this but I’d go

-Granlund for center (good two way center that can help Podkolzin generate some offense and prevent Podz from being buried on the 3rd line with some plug).   

-Adam Larsson on D.

This is also under the assumption that Schmidt still wants to be here + we can move out Eriksson somehow (or Beagle + Roussel)

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander

Roussel-Granlund-Podkolzin

Motte-Beagle-Highmore

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Schmidt (or Schmidt-Myers)

Juolevi-Myers (or Rathbone-Bowey)

Demko

Holtby

Is what I had in mind with cap considerations.

A year later, we add Hampus Lindholm and our 2021 draft pick to the line-up.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Guenther/Johnson

Pearson-Granlund-Podkolzin

Motte-Lind-Highmore 

Lindholm-Schmidt 

Hughes-Larsson

Rathbone-Myers

Demko

Dipietro

++ additions to wherever we see fit, cap permitting (maybe a vet on a 1 year)

-One of Juolevi or Rathbone could be moved to address an area that would need addressing.

Edited by Patel Bure

Landeskog for 9m x 6yrs

Holtby and his 4m to Seattle or trade

Cap dump Roussel somewhere or buyout

Replace Edler with cheap defenceman or our own kids

We'd suck without defence but have two 1st lines, imagine Bo and Landeskog together with Hoglander ooof.

5 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Like myers? Not sure whatvu mean

As far as Forwards UFAs signed by Jimbo. Who was the last One to record a point? Meaning don’t expect too much outa Jimbo signing a forward UFA.

Hawryluk, signed 800 thousand for 1 yr.

Ferland, signed 14 million for 4 yrs.

Beagle, signed 12 million for 4 yrs.

Roussel, signed 12 million for 4 yrs.

Schaller, signed 3.8 million for 2yrs but luckily we got rid of him. 

Gagner, signed 9.45 Million for 3yrs, thx god we got rid of him.

Vanek, signed 2 million for 1 yr. 

Loui E ,signed 36 million for 6 yrs.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • RoughGame 1

8 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

go Canucks go

2 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

As far as Forwards UFAs signed by Jimbo. Who was the last One to record a point? Meaning don’t expect too much outa Jimbo signing a forward UFA.

Hawryluk, signed 800 thousand for 1 yr.

Ferland, signed 14 million for 4 yrs.

Beagle, signed 12 million for 4 yrs.

Roussel, signed 12 million for 4 yrs.

Schaller, signed 3.8 million for 2yrs but luckily we got rid of him. 

Gagner, signed 9.45 Million for 3yrs, thx god we got rid of him.

Vanek, signed 2 million for 1 yr. 

Loui E ,signed 36 million for 6 yrs.

Hawryluk... cheap

Vanek....a great signing 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

The Schwartz and Hyman hype is pretty scary and some silly team is going to pay them too much. They're just about 0.500 PPG players, but they're going to get 5M...

JB would be well advised to steer clear. Our top line is pretty much set. Horvat and Hoglander are going to be better. Next to them, Podz or Pearson will do well.

Our real problems lie in the botton 6 and all over defence. We need to sign up Sutter and Boyd/anyone to fill those center spots. Our bottom 6 wingers apart from Motte are by far the worst in the league, filled with AHLers, waiver wire pickups, Roussel and Virtanen.

On defence we might have just lost the franchise's best defenceman, with Hughes (one of the worst +/- in the league last year), Rathbone (handfull of games experience) and Juolevi (not healthy to finish the year) on the left side now. Myers is the only stable D-man, Hamonic hasn't re-signed yet and Schmidt's future is uncertain too.

We've got so many question marks in our botton 6 and defence, none of which these forewards like Hyman or Schwartz answer. 

For me, we need a botton 6 center who can play wing and a depth defenceman (Reilly, Ceci) who can play 20 minutes if need be. If Holtby gets snagged up we also need a cheap goalie who can play 30 games (don't think Dipietro is there yet).

Top-6 forward UFAs are our bottom priority right now.

• Cheers 3

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The Schwartz and Hyman hype is pretty scary and some silly team is going to pay them too much. They're just about 0.500 PPG players, but they're going to get 5M...

JB would be well advised to steer clear. Our top line is pretty much set. Horvat and Hoglander are going to be better. Next to them, Podz or Pearson will do well.

Our real problems lie in the botton 6 and all over defence. We need to sign up Sutter and Boyd/anyone to fill those center spots. Our bottom 6 wingers apart from Motte are by far the worst in the league, filled with AHLers, waiver wire pickups, Roussel and Virtanen.

On defence we might have just lost the franchise's best defenceman, with Hughes (one of the worst +/- in the league last year), Rathbone (handfull of games experience) and Juolevi (not healthy to finish the year) on the left side now. Myers is the only stable D-man, Hamonic hasn't re-signed yet and Schmidt's future is uncertain too.

We've got so many question marks in our botton 6 and defence, none of which these forewards like Hyman or Schwartz answer. 

For me, we need a botton 6 center who can play wing and a depth defenceman (Reilly, Ceci) who can play 20 minutes if need be. If Holtby gets snagged up we also need a cheap goalie who can play 30 games (don't think Dipietro is there yet).

Top-6 forward UFAs are our bottom priority right now.

Agree with a lot of this.

I'm not hoping to land a big name like Landy, Getzlaf or Hall. I see a need for more production out of the bottom six, while still maintaining a solid defensive structure. Coleman is interesting, but so are some bigger guys like Kuraly, Nosek and Soderberg.

Goodrow would look great on the Canucks, but I think his playoff performance might just result in bit of a bidding war and big raise for him. Still, if JB could swing a few years at around 2 million, I think he would be a great addition.

On defense, I'd like to see the 'Nucks add some size and truculence. Oleksiak is someone I'd be interested in, as is Derek Forbort.

Finally, assuming you're correct and DiPietro isn't ready for the backup job, Laurent Broissiot always looked pretty good playing against the Canucks, but Chris Driedger is the more intriguing possibility for me. He looked very good in Florida last season, albeit with a very small sample size.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm not hoping to land a big name like Landy, Getzlaf or Hall. I see a need for more production out of the bottom six, while still maintaining a solid defensive structure. Coleman is interesting, but so are some bigger guys like Kuraly, Nosek and Soderberg.

Goodrow would look great on the Canucks, but I think his playoff performance might just result in bit of a bidding war and big raise for him. Still, if JB could swing a few years at around 2 million, I think he would be a great addition.

On defense, I'd like to see the 'Nucks add some size and truculence. Oleksiak is someone I'd be interested in, as is Derek Forbort.

Finally, assuming you're correct and DiPietro isn't ready for the backup job, Laurent Broissiot always looked pretty good playing against the Canucks, but Chris Driedger is the more intriguing possibility for me. He looked very good in Florida last season, albeit with a very small sample size.

Sadly looks like Driedger is going to Seattle so if we lose Holtby one way or another, Halak might be an interesting option out there...

If Seattle don't take Holtby but take Lind, we could flip Holtby straight up for Zadorov in which case we sort of answer a lot of questions quite quickly. Zadorov brings size and could chip in 20 minutes easily, plus is safer to play with a nervy Schmidt than one of our rookies at the moment. Hopefully over the course of the season Juolevi gets to take over some minutes.

Hughes - Hamonic

Zadorov - Schmidt

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi

Demko

Halak

Very different from last season.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Sadly looks like Driedger is going to Seattle so if we lose Holtby one way or another, Halak might be an interesting option out there...

If Seattle don't take Holtby but take Lind, we could flip Holtby straight up for Zadorov in which case we sort of answer a lot of questions quite quickly. Zadorov brings size and could chip in 20 minutes easily, plus is safer to play with a nervy Schmidt than one of our rookies at the moment. Hopefully over the course of the season Juolevi gets to take over some minutes.

Hughes - Hamonic

Zadorov - Schmidt

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi

Demko

Halak

Very different from last season.

not that different from last year.  zadorov is similar to Edler in terms of D play and size.  we need a true number 1 D like seth jones, hamilton or a good defensive D similar to Tanev like larsson or carlo. If we don't get that type of dman, it will just be same as last year. Zadorov is not that good.

22 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Sign the best 3rd line in the playoffs.

Blake Coleman      23g 3g 8a  11pits  +5

Barclay Goodrow   18g 2g 4A   6pts   +4 

Yanni Gourde        23g 6g 1a   7pts    +4  (Mighty Mouse - not afraid to go into the scrums)

• Cheers 1

None. It seems like most of the decent forwards out there are at an age where they'll be looking for a retirement contract, in which case we could be looking at an Eriksson situation once again. I'd rather look for a RHD via free agency (I think Dmen age a little better than forwards) and if we feel we need another top 6 forward, go the trade route instead.

After adding Dickenson I'd prefer we focus on D.

One of Larsson, Hamonic or Savard to play with Hughes.

One of Hakanpaa, Ceci or Hamonic (if we manage Larsson) for depth RD.

One of Oleksiak, McCabe or Edler for left D.

(Options of Jensen or Zadorov via trade)

Then trade Schmidt for a top 6 F in the $4-5m range.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2