The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

On 8/5/2021 at 11:46 PM, UnkNuk said:

I find that surprising.  

Seems to me that, when a team has five skaters (plus the goalie) to the other team's six skaters (and no goalie), the former team has the advantage.

Without any statistics whatsoever to back me up, it seems to me I've seen a lot more empty net goals scored than I've seen scored by the team with the extra skater.

I share this opinion.  It was like in the Sedins and Salo days.  In overtime they would get a power play. And on that power play they would control the puck and set Salo up for a shot.  Almost money in the bank everytime.  

2 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

I share this opinion.  It was like in the Sedins and Salo days.  In overtime they would get a power play. And on that power play they would control the puck and set Salo up for a shot.  Almost money in the bank everytime.  

It’s more that pulling the goalie and adding an extra skater increases the odds of you scoring, yes it massively increases the odds of a goal against, but late in a game if you are trailing, an extra goal against when you are already going to lose doesn’t really make a huge difference especially as the number of games and lack of importance of goal difference. Increasing you chance of getting to OT and getting a point is worth the risk. 

12 hours ago, coryberg said:

Arizona for sure. They are in full tank mode.

It seems for 20 years they’ve been trying to develop players so they can trade them for a pick

(who will hopefully be as good someday as the recently traded player so he can again be traded for a pick)

Good on Jim for finally buying some value at this annual-harvest.

• Cheers 1