The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

On 3/10/2022 at 3:27 AM, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ain’t happening with Travis Green as head coach.  Took him 7 years and counting & he still couldn’t hire a NHL head coach.

Put in Cull there also. Not much coming out of the prospect pool in AHL.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

So?

How?

Ok?

Who cares?

Sure. Still not worth the anchor contract.

Just because a trade makes you better in the short-term when you aren't even properly competing, doesn't mean it's the right move.

How does it appear to be working? His skating isn't the best already. How will it look in 2-3 years when all our core guys are in their prime and he has 2-3 years left @ 7M? Like you said, he's already overpaid by about 2M right now lol.

We can disagree. I think value was created out of a poor situation. Perhaps you want to hang it all on Benning, but very likely that Aquilini ok’d the trade considering the amount of money and term involved. If I recall correctly, the Sedins were also consulted and advised it was a good hockey trade for a character player who would bring a lot to the team. Not absolving Benning in this, but also not worth harbouring resentment about past decisions. 

Try enjoying the team as it is, incorporating that there are a lot of factors that go into these business decisions, and that it’s not always as cut and dry as you’re making it out to be.

Daniel Sedins take on the trade (which he advised on and encouraged):

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/vancouver-canucks-radio/daniel-sedin-oliver-ekman-larsson-left-canucks-taking-another-step/

“He’s got a lot, and plays an overall game,” Swedish countryman Daniel Sedin suggested in a radio interview on Saturday. “The main thing is he’s a professional and a leader and will be so good for Quinn (Hughes) and (Jack) Rathbone. It’s not about him, it’s about the team. He brings what you want.“

again, like I mentioned, he brings both tangible and intangible to the team as well as plays an important top 4 role in helping us compete now, balance and stabilize the D, and will have served his purpose in 2-3 years as a great mentor for any young D that emerge in forming the nucleus of the new generation/future roster through drafting, development or trade.

no offense, but I’ll take the Sedin’s evaluation and Ok’ing of a player hands down over your assessment of one any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Most times the average Vancouver fan acts like, drafting a player means, “he is one of us”, while trading for a player is more, “y’a ain’t from around here are you now”

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 1

23 hours ago, RWJC said:

Perhaps you want to hang it all on Benning, but very likely that Aquilini ok’d the trade considering the amount of money and term involved.

Yeah... I don't see how Aquilini okaying a bad trade his GM absolves the GM of blame.

It's the GM's job to get those things right, that's what the owner hired him for.

23 hours ago, RWJC said:

incorporating that there are a lot of factors that go into these business decisions, and that it’s not always as cut and dry as you’re making it out to be.

It's pretty cut and dry that Benning was a bad GM regardless of factors we may not see, if any.

23 hours ago, RWJC said:

Daniel Sedins take on the trade (which he advised on and encouraged):

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/vancouver-canucks-radio/daniel-sedin-oliver-ekman-larsson-left-canucks-taking-another-step/

“He’s got a lot, and plays an overall game,” Swedish countryman Daniel Sedin suggested in a radio interview on Saturday. “The main thing is he’s a professional and a leader and will be so good for Quinn (Hughes) and (Jack) Rathbone. It’s not about him, it’s about the team. He brings what you want.“

again, like I mentioned, he brings both tangible and intangible to the team as well as plays an important top 4 role in helping us compete now, balance and stabilize the D, and will have served his purpose in 2-3 years as a great mentor for any young D that emerge in forming the nucleus of the new generation/future roster through drafting, development or trade.

no offense, but I’ll take the Sedin’s evaluation and Ok’ing of a player hands down over your assessment of one any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I never said that OEL doesn't bring some important elements. His leadership, experience and pushback is likely very valued by the Canucks organization and Daniel knows the guy personally, of course.

That still doesn't make this a sensible trade when you consider our cap situation. Full stop.

We've spent way too much money and way too many assets in the name of purely intangibles. How about a good hockey team, for once?

10 hours ago, Westcoastcanucks777 said:

I sense snotty canucks fans in here 

Sorry, it's allergy season.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 3

Garland has been amazing.

However, do you guys think it would have been better to just wait out these bad contracts this year. We would have opened up cap space and we would’ve kept our 1st.

Based on JR and PA, seems like they could’ve used the cap space.

Edited by J-23
  • Huggy Bear 2

6 minutes ago, J-23 said:

However, do you guys think it would have been better to just wait out these bad contracts this year. We would have opened up cap space and we would’ve kept our 1st.

Shoulda Wouldacoulda died ‘cuz he shoulda.

On 3/18/2022 at 6:08 AM, J-23 said:

It would have been nice to get Garland without OEL. But I guess part of the OEL trade was sending Roussel, Player Name, and Beagle to Arizona. 

Maybe Garland for Player Name and 1st could have been enough to do it. 

I still dont think this is the trade that screws us. Both are playing well. Hindsight might again say it didn’t pan out perfectly, but the mess we have with the cap was signing LouiE, Jay, Antoine and guys like Myers to the numbers we did in the first place. An off year waiting would not have done our core any good and most likely JB and TG would still be here if they had taken that route in the first place.

We are better off as it is now.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone says Pearson contract was bad but he has only 3 less points than Garland. Yes, Pearson has been playing with Miller but Garland has had his fair share of chances.

OEL has been okay, the contract is bad though.

First year of this trade is a loss. Could’ve shed all that cap space and kept our 1st. Also looks like Garland may be moved this year…

On 3/21/2022 at 6:19 AM, Spoosh said:

I still dont think this is the trade that screws us. Both are playing well. Hindsight might again say it didn’t pan out perfectly, but the mess we have with the cap was signing LouiE, Jay, Antoine and guys like Myers to the numbers we did in the first place. An off year waiting would not have done our core any good and most likely JB and TG would still be here if they had taken that route in the first place.

We are better off as it is now.

How can you look at that OEL contract and say this trade doesn't screw us. 

On a positive note, we'll be done with JB's parting gift after the 2026-2027 season :ph34r:.

• Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, guntrix said:

How can you look at that OEL contract and say this trade doesn't screw us. 

On a positive note, we'll be done with JB's parting gift after the 2026-2027 season :ph34r:.

Yeah even if he provides a net positive in the rink the benefit he provides doesn't match the contract and he's bound to decline. 

I think Benning sees players as "can this player improve the team?" (which OEL does) rather than "does this player given what he provide good value?". So his philosiphy seems to always been "get good players ... boom ... you have a good team"

Which is the reason of his past overpayments. I actually didn't mind Beagle, Roussel, or Myers in the roster since they did make the team better. But with the contract they signed. 

10 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Yeah even if he provides a net positive in the rink the benefit he provides doesn't match the contract and he's bound to decline. 

I think Benning sees players as "can this player improve the team?" (which OEL does) rather than "does this player given what he provide good value?". So his philosiphy seems to always been "get good players ... boom ... you have a good team"

Which is the reason of his past overpayments. I actually didn't mind Beagle, Roussel, or Myers in the roster since they did make the team better. But with the contract they signed. 

D tend to play at a relatively high level until about 34 and with a less sharp decline after.

I doubt his contract ends up being much of an issue other than maybe a moderately inefficient year or two at the end. Meh. Hardly some albatross.

As for his production this year, IMO that has more to do with our (poor) D unit construction, playing behind Hughes (not getting the PP reps he used to) and apparently, playing injured.

Paying behind Hughes, he's unlikely to ever see his peak numbers again, but surround him with a better D core (and get him healthy) and he'll be fine.

Neither OEL or Hughes (or to a lesser extent Schenn, Dermott, Burroughs etc) are the problem with our D.

Edited by aGENT

16 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think the fact the folks in Sportsnet are already discussed OEL as a future buyout candidate after his first season with Vancouver shows what a mistake getting him was 

This was the local SN650 like Sat and Bik or was it the Toronto talking heads? Either way these are paid hockey analysts and it is a joke if they are talking about buying out OEL.

The 2020 offseason when JB first was on the hunt for OEL and infamously “ran out of time” with the teams own house keeping (Tanev Toffoli, Stetcher, etc) it was discussed on here (Imm I believe) broke down the buyout of OEL and basically his contract is buyout proof. I will see if I can dig up the official numbers on cap friendly but from what I recall back in fall of 2020 that the contract was much worse if bought out. (Edited below is the savings and cap we would have to eat if we buy him out)

Hey maybe Boston (the other only team he was willing to move to) wants him:ph34r:

52ABBD70-EEC8-4C8B-B7CF-915816976109.jpeg

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Huggy Bear 1