The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

4 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

I've been critical of JB as well as supporting moves he's made. I have no problem with this one. We no longer have to talk about the three duds that got shipped out. Done!

Also the finger prints of the owner are on this too, it's his loot.

I really like this move.

So to the fans that keep on bitching and moaning about the Canucks missing this and that move I'd like to point out that both Edmonton and Calgary need fans and support with the flimsy management teams they sport.

Holland in Edmonton is doing quite alright.

• Wat 4
  • RoughGame 1

6 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

But he is absolutely useless at signing ufa's.

Hamonic

Roussel, till he got injured

Sutter wasn't bad, till he got injured, over and over again.

Pearson's new deal is good

Ryan Miller was a good signing.

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Holland in Edmonton is doing quite alright.

So glad I got to use the Louie emoji. I really hope I am correct and this was sarcasm. I have OEL concerns but much prefer him to the rotten corpse of Duncan Kieth. 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 2

Out -  Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, and a few draft picks that might or might not amount to anything

IN - Ekman-Larsson (12% retained), Garland, Dickinson

I think VAN is doing okay, team is already better, which is kind of the whole point.  EDM, OTT and BUF have shown us that hoarding draft picks doesn't make a good team. It's how the draft picks are used.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, BCNate said:

I know the quote you are referring to.  This trade changes that timeline though.  We have a much,much better team now than we did this morning.    A few years down the road is there risk? sure, but for next year, we have a solid looking team.  I expect a few more move will be made in the next few days.  OEL is a significant upgrade on Edler, and Garland could put up 65-75 points next season.   Dickinson was a very good add as well.

But his 2 year timeline is when he anticipates when the young core will mature and be at their peak. 

OEL will likely start to decline by then. 

So what good will OEL do if he becomes more of a liability when the the core starts to hit their peak ? 

5 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Something else to consider with this move, it makes QH and Petey happier to sign because they see JB making moves to improve the team. Nobody wants to sign long-term with a team with a stand pat GM unless that team is already great. This will influence the contract talks and, I suspect, save the Canucks a few dollars. Also, don't forget Bo's agent's comments last week, perhaps suggesting that he is getting impatient. JB doesn't want a McJesus problem where your stars put you on a timetable.

As for Quinn doesn't he still need someone to play with ? 

Just now, iinatcc said:

But his 2 year timeline is when he anticipates when the young core will mature and be at their peak. 

OEL will likely start to decline by then. 

So what good will OEL do if he becomes more of a liability when the the core starts to hit their peak ? 

He's 30, not 40.  He's got 3-4 years of peak play left in him and he's the kind of skater that will likely be a top 4 into his late 30's.  

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

This seems to suggest your starting point is that OEL is already a liability.

So you already can't be happy, let alone what you think will happen in a couple of years.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

He's 30, not 40.  He's got 3-4 years of peak play left in him and he's the kind of skater that will likely be a top 4 into his late 30's.  

Agree completely.  Those that dont like this deal have this weird fantasy of having a team full of 21 year olds.  If youd seen him play,  OEL is one of the best pure athletes you will see in hockey.  Physically hes just a pure gamer that has the ability to carry this backend.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Late 30s might be a bit of a stretch.  But both the Sedins were like 33 years old for the 2014-15 season.  Both still ended up in the top ten in the NHL in points that season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This Americanized version of the Draft is pretty bad,. It feels so corporate.

One of the best highlights for me was seeing Quinn Hughes tell his brothers that New Jersey stinks. :gocan:

True.

And the funny thing is, if youve been to Jersey it actually does smell. 

• Like 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Late 30s might be a bit of a stretch.  But both the Sedins were like 33 years old for the 2014-15 season.  Both still ended up in the top ten in the NHL in points that season.

Except OEL is one of the smoothest skaters in the league.  The work he does he does effortlessly........those players age very well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Out -  Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, and a few draft picks that might or might not amount to anything

IN - Ekman-Larsson (12% retained), Garland, Dickinson

I think VAN is doing okay, team is already better, which is kind of the whole point.  EDM, OTT and BUF have shown us that hoarding draft picks doesn't make a good team. It's how the draft picks are used.

They are a better team today than yesterday that’s for sure. I’m really looking forward to watching Garland score 30. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Except OEL is one of the smoothest skaters in the league.  The work he does he does effortlessly........those players age very well.

Yep see Lidstrom and Keith.

Elite skating mixed with high hockey IQ allows players to avoid getting slammed into the boards every shift. A lot less wear and tear.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Make sure you out OEL's missed games as well 

Actually, he's very robust.  Over 11 seasons, he's only missed a couple dozen games.

Chris has never played a full 82 seasons.  He's much healthier playing in abbreviated seasons, like the past 2 years.