The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Jay Beagle, Loui Eriksson, Antoine Roussel, 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2023 7th-round pick to Coyotes for Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Conor Garland

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

This could be interesting… we could suddenly have more cap space than most teams in the league, especially adding a Virtanen buyout to the mix.

Snag a big stay at home top 4 RD and regain a late 1st and maybe time to go get a beer.

my source was -VC-

so it's probably true :lol:

This trade is definitely Benning recognizing that this year has to go well for him on the ice. Last year was unnaceptable and if this year is more of the same, he will lose his job. This is his last chance. 

The good thing is our team is much better now. OEL is still a very, very good defenseman and we now have 3 play driving LHDs: Hughes - OEL - Rathbone. Each of those guys can be paired with a cheap, complimentary partner like Hamonic and it is a solid defense core. Myers will be with one of them as well. This is the model that Tampa Bay just won the Cup with: Hedman, McDonough - Sergachev on the left side. Rathbone or Hughes can play RD to limit the ice time of other players just like Sergachev does for Tampa. 

The other thing this makes clear to me is that the defense won't be built on crushing, detail oriented defensive play. Instead it will be built as a transition style defense that specializes in moving the puck out of the zone as quickly as possible. Sustained pressure against will be a weakness, but everyone on the defense core will be active and able to contribute offensively. Shots against will probably be high but that's why we have an amazing goalie. 

Garland is a great fit as well, but kind of surprising. I would not have thought that management would have wanted a small forward but this is a pleasant surprise. Garland was the engine that drove Arizona's offense this year and should be a great fit. I'm not sure what the contract will look like but something similar to Marchessault's (5M x 6 years) makes sense, maybe with a bit less term given the flat cap market. 

Overall, our team got much better on paper. I'm not too hung up on losing 9th OA at the moment; I think there were only a couple of players that would have intrigued me. Management likely believes/knows that those players won't be available. Dhaliwal said that L. Hughes and Johnson were the two players they were targeting, so it sounds like both of those guys will be gone before 9th. If you are confident that you won't land your guy, then trading the pick is probably the best return for your value. Anybody who was downplaying the effects of the inflated contracts that were signed now has to own up to it as well; it cost a top 10 pick to undo the mistakes that online posters could see coming 3 years ago. If we didn't have to dump contracts, maybe the pick could have been used to land a prime RHD or Reinhart or something. 

Overall I'm fairly neutral on the deal but excited to see how it turns out. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

This is a dumb trade. We took on 42 million plus whatever we pay Garland. We got rid of 12 million that’s expiring at the end of next year. So straight up salary exchanges we were behind big time. Obviously we get a good player in Garland but is he worth all those picks plus us taking on a terrible contract? I think it’s a bad trade. Just my opinion. 

This is how I see it too, but I'm not sure how I feel about it.

We traded expiring contracts at the end of next year (12M cap space) + whoever we would've drafted at 9th tonight + whoever we drafted at 2nd round next year for OEL + Garland.  Obviously our roster is already vastly improved and moves could still be made but now our future cap situation becomes a bit more tricky.  I'm not sure which I'd rather have but we're definitely a playoff team now.

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

I'm really surprised the Aqua men signed on to this. OEL's actual salary for the next 3 years is 9.24M after the 12%.

Saves them buy out money for a roster player, garland isn't bad. Buying out virtanen and possibly trading holtby, Schmidt could bring back 2nds

• Cheers 1

Wonder what's next...JB could sit tight and we ice a decent team.

Holtby for a pick would be decent then sign a cheap UFA backup.

I'd be keen to see what Schmidt can do with a proper offseason and not give up on him yet but if a great deal comes along, wouldn't be too horrified if he's gone too.

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It’s also dependent on how OEL and Garland do over the years too. 

Hopefully all the new additions we add this off-season pan out. JB can’t afford an L and neither can this core.

Very true, it is a bet… but as of when the trade is happening (now) it seems like a pretty good one.  I don’t love OEL, but for $7 million and a chance to play on a better team and there seems like there could be value there… and not badly overpaid for what he will bring.

I didn’t think the Eriksson contract was bad when it was signed and didn’t often rip It after the fact because it was a reasonable move to make at the time.  I did rip the inability to fix it once it went off the rails though.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We have pettersson and hughes for the next 5 years at minimum do we not? That's plenty of time for a)the cap to inflate b)management changes c)personnel changes on the team

Stressing about it today is imo absolutely unnecessary. We just traded for a top 6 F and a top 2 D, while ridding us of contracts that this fanbase has been very vocally upset about for 3-6 years. Can we just be happy for once without having the sky falling? Sure, it's risky, sure, OEL might not have played like a 2D the last 2 years. Sure, Garland is small. 

Our team got better. 

No point in arguing. I do agree this team got better. 
but you have to agree this move is so short sighted and reaks of benning trying to save his own butt

1 minute ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This trade is definitely Benning recognizing that this year has to go well for him on the ice. Last year was unnaceptable and if this year is more of the same, he will lose his job. This is his last chance. 

The good thing is our team is much better now. OEL is still a very, very good defenseman and we now have 3 play driving LHDs: Hughes - OEL - Rathbone. Each of those guys can be paired with a cheap, complimentary partner like Hamonic and it is a solid defense core. Myers will be with one of them as well. This is the model that Tampa Bay just won the Cup with: Hedman, McDonough - Sergachev on the left side. Rathbone or Hughes can play RD to limit the ice time of other players just like Sergachev does for Tampa. 

The other thing this makes clear to me is that the defense won't be built on crushing, detail oriented defensive play. Instead it will be built as a transition style defense that specializes in moving the puck out of the zone as quickly as possible. Sustained pressure against will be a weakness, but everyone on the defense core will be active and able to contribute offensively. Shots against will probably be high but that's why we have an amazing goalie. 

Garland is a great fit as well, but kind of surprising. I would not have thought that management would have wanted a small forward but this is a pleasant surprise. Garland was the engine that drove Arizona's offense this year and should be a great fit. I'm not sure what the contract will look like but something similar to Marchessault's (5M x 6 years) makes sense, maybe with a bit less term given the flat cap market. 

Overall, our team got much better on paper. I'm not too hung up on losing 9th OA at the moment; I think there were only a couple of players that would have intrigued me. Management likely believes/knows that those players won't be available. Dhaliwal said that L. Hughes and Johnson were the two players they were targeting, so it sounds like both of those guys will be gone before 9th. If you are confident that you won't land your guy, then trading the pick is probably the best return for your value. Anybody who was downplaying the effects of the inflated contracts that were signed now has to own up to it as well; it cost a top 10 pick to undo the mistakes that online posters could see coming 3 years ago. If we didn't have to dump contracts, maybe the pick could have been used to land a prime RHD or Reinhart or something. 

Overall I'm fairly neutral on the deal but excited to see how it turns out. 

Hedman, McDonough - Sergachev        vs        Hughes - OEL - Rathbone   

space jam nba GIF by Looney Tunes