The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

4 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Last night’s performance for Dan Klim only added to my conviction that he should go to Abbotsford. He has more than enough advanced skill and skating ability to play at that level, while working on the little details in his game that clearly need work. Maybe he doesn’t play every game at the start of the season but gets lots of coaching and advanced video work. The Canucks coaches being just down the highway and just the general proximity to the big team will be easier for the kid than some Quebec outpost. Plus, on off days that synch up with the Canucks, he can meet up with his buddies Podz and Hogs.

I know its still highly unlikely, but I’m shocked at how close he appears to be from making the big team. I thought both the camp and the preseason games would see him struggling quite a bit. And when he finished in the top third of his group in the bag skate I realized just how driven this kid is to make the NHL. I am becoming a big fan.

The NCAA approach to grooming Klimovich might not be a bad idea if they end up keeping him with Abbotsford (i.e. weekend games with training during the week).  He still looked very raw but overall held his own and played well against the Kraken considering that their roster was close to what their opening night NHL roster is probably going to look like.

Personally I don't want the Canucks to rush Klimovich even if I don't think he deserves to go to the Q either.  IMHO, if Klimovich ends up playing in the AHL this season, then they had better have a plan to bring him in a role that best meets his skill set.  Klimovich has the potential to be a scorer in the NHL and is already showing that as an 18-year old, he has the physical tools to get there.  If the Canucks can groom Klimovich in the AHL to strengthen and tidy up his game, then that could bode really well for Klimovich and the Canucks.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Hate to break it to you, but Horvat MIGHT NOT be here in 2 years. Next year is his last year of his contract then he becomes a UFA 

What's even the point of making posts like these?

Horvat will likely be here in 2 years unless if something happens in the meantime to make him want to bolt. If you immediately start thinking the worst is going to happen, you might as well just expect the team to be perpetually bad forever and become the most negative person in the world. Seriously, these are the kinds of people I personally don't want to be around because there is no point in being this pessimistic.

Life isn't as bad as this to literally think Horvat won't be here in 2 years. It's just not worth thinking this way. Could it happen? Sure, but why think it will? What's the purpose of thinking it will? What actual benefit do you get from thinking like this? Chin up dude. ;)

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AK_19 said:

He already looked better than most of the AHLers in yesterday's squad. I'm not sure how he isn't ready for the AHL.

thats all i was hoping for him. He sure looks ready for Abby. Sending him to the Q now would be a step back.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

1 hour ago, Locke Lamora said:

Last night’s performance for Dan Klim only added to my conviction that he should go to Abbotsford. He has more than enough advanced skill and skating ability to play at that level, while working on the little details in his game that clearly need work. Maybe he doesn’t play every game at the start of the season but gets lots of coaching and advanced video work. The Canucks coaches being just down the highway and just the general proximity to the big team will be easier for the kid than some Quebec outpost. Plus, on off days that synch up with the Canucks, he can meet up with his buddies Podz and Hogs.

I know its still highly unlikely, but I’m shocked at how close he appears to be from making the big team. I thought both the camp and the preseason games would see him struggling quite a bit. And when he finished in the top third of his group in the bag skate I realized just how driven this kid is to make the NHL. I am becoming a big fan.

He's an intense young man.  Has that 'it' factor to his personality.  He won't be stopped unless his anger/frustration gets the better if him.  I like that JT has been mentoring him... Same kind if mentality.  I see some Tarasenko (his attitude)... We'll see if he can score like him in his prime.  I look at the mental makeup of the best teams... You need a mix of different attitudes, personality traits for a successful 'team'.  We need more guys with that bite.  Klim is a perfect addition.  He'll be another part of this core soon enough...

Pumped for this year!!!!

• Vintage 1

Probably been said already, but in case it hasn't...

Regardless of whether Klimovich is ready for the AHL or not, my guess is that he's off to Junior A, where he can acclimatize to the North American ice surface and dominate, amping up his confidence level (which doesn't seem to be lacking), all the while having Chris Higgins spend 30%-40% of his time keeping a watchful eye on Klimovich.  Klimovich gets paid his signing bonus of $92,500 signing bonus for the 2021-22 season and Canucks get to place him on sliding scale, extending his ELC to 2024-25. 

In my estimation, Klimovich has one season of junior and one season of AHL hockey before he's NHL-ready.  So, in his second year of ELC being in effect, he will be wearing a Canucks jersey.  Klimovich will make $92,500 in the 2021-22 season, $172,500 in the 22-23 season and $800,000 in the 23-24 season (the second year of ELC being in effect) and $925,000 in 24-25.  Canucks will then have sign to Klimovich to his ELC+1 contract during the summer of 2025.

If I was the guy running hockey ops, this is what I would do.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Regardless of whether Klimovich is ready for the AHL or not, my guess is that he's off to Junior A, where he can acclimatize to the North American ice surface and dominate, amping up his confidence level (which doesn't seem to be lacking), all the while having Chris Higgins spend 30%-40% of his time keeping a watchful eye on Klimovich.  Klimovich gets paid his signing bonus of $92,500 signing bonus for the 2021-22 season and Canucks get to place him on sliding scale, extending his ELC to 2024-25. 

In my estimation, Klimovich has one season of junior and one season of AHL hockey before he's NHL-ready.  So, in his second year of ELC being in effect, he will be wearing a Canucks jersey.  Klimovich will make $92,500 in the 2021-22 season, $172,500 in the 22-23 season and $800,000 in the 23-24 season (the second year of ELC being in effect) and $925,000 in 24-25.  Canucks will then have sign to Klimovich to his ELC+1 contract during the summer of 2025.

Good point. Only way it makes sense from business point of view to put him in the AHL this season is if they believe he will make the team next season.

Then of course, it's not all about the cap, player development, keeping him close etc also matters.

22 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Sorry, but highly unlikely. More likely that he's going to Abby this season

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zhukini said:

PJ's

Yeah  -  you're right.  He did his 3 years ELC at $900k, then a six year at $5.5M. Then jackpotted at 7 x $11M when he became UFA.  I can't remember what Islanders offered him,  but I am sure if wasn't double salary

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Yeah  -  you're right.  He did his 3 years ELC at $900k, then a six year at $5.5M. Then jackpotted at 7 x $11M when he became UFA.  I can't remember what Islanders offered him,  but I am sure if wasn't double salary

Probably need to make some deep playoff rounds like at least round 2+ and I am sure Horvat will stay. Making the playoffs this year is paramount to keep a lot of this talent.

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think Klimovich is with the Canucks at the start of season, 6-10 games then with Abby until December to get quality ice time.

IF Klimovich goes, It won’t be for long,  this young man is hungry, and will excel better, faster, playing in the NHL.

As much as you’d like to see it I think it’s a numbers game. He’s not going to be with the big club and to keep him for those 6-10 games would require sending and risking a guy getting picked up through waivers. Klim isn’t locking in a top 6 role so I just can’t see him getting the couple game stint. More likely just kept for the duration of the preseason being in with the last set of cuts.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

As much as you’d like to see it I think it’s a numbers game. He’s not going to be with the big club and to keep him for those 6-10 games would require sending and risking a guy getting picked up through waivers. Klim isn’t locking in a top 6 role so I just can’t see him getting the couple game stint. More likely just kept for the duration of the preseason being in with the last set of cuts.

It’s going to be very interesting..….

200.gif

5 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Great,  another young good hockey player who has been playing at a high level competitively through his teen age years and sacrificed much of a normal life to high risk , and end up where he is now.

A time where he should be making good money for more risk at a higher level.

Only to hold him down to minimal money for a longer extension of time.

Sorry,  but you can sense my distaste for that idea,.  And if I was Klimovich, I would feel the distrust.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JM_ said:

thats all i was hoping for him. He sure looks ready for Abby. Sending him to the Q now would be a step back.

I was all for him going to the Q but I agree Abby looks like the better option. Klim's deficiancies are the finer parts of the game rather than just showing off his talent, something hes going to get learn in Abby. The Q is a bit off a helter skelter league where goals come in bunches and its messy, where at least in Abby, its a bit more structured to make him more pro ready

Edited by filthycanuck
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think Klimovich is with the Canucks at the start of season, 6-10 games then with Abby until December to get quality ice time.

IF Klimovich goes, It won’t be for long,  this young man is hungry, and will excel better, faster, playing in the NHL.

NHL is not a training league. Plus we want to push guys that are ready like Gadj and Lockwood. AHL is better to learn and if he dominates there, bring him up. It is not a slight against him to start there.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I was all for him going to the Q but I agree Abby looks like the better option. Klim's deficiancies are the finer parts of the game rather than just showing off his talent, something hes going to get learn in Abby. The Q is a bit off a helter skelter league where goals come in bunches and its messy, where at least in Abby, its a bit more structured to make him more pro ready

yup he seems much more ready for pro training, vs. needed to bulk up, work on speed, etc.