The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Danila Klimovich | C

3 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

From Daniel Wagner ("Pass It To Bulis") today:

Canucks head coach Travis Green will answer questions about players during training camp and give his opinion but it’s rare that he volunteers a name. But, when asked if any players had surprised him at camp so far, Green offered up some rare praise. 

“Our young draft pick from last year, second-rounder, [Danila] Klimovich has looked good,” said Green. “He's a big kid, skates well...I thought [Karel] Plasek had a pretty good game today. Again, a young guy, it's not always easy to stick out but I liked his energy and he looked like he can make a play. Yet it's still hard for a young guy to come in and make a lot of plays, so you're kind of projecting with some guys.”

Klimovich certainly stood out on the ice, wiring several hard shots during drills with an impressive release. With his size and skating, he was able to push back in battles and create space for himself.

“I love all the battles, I love the speed, I really enjoy the small ice,” said Klimovich via translator. 

As for his shot, Klimovich is setting his sights high: “I'm trying to compare myself in the future with Kucherov and Ovechkin.

Somewhere in between Kuch and Ovie,..

sounds like we have a beauty - one of a kind in Klimovich. 

• Like 1

If he is missing details in his game is it best if he goes to Abbotsford vs QMJHL? In Abbotsford Trent Cull and the skill coaches can continue to work with while being close to the big club so we can ensure we are controlling his development.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, laddie said:

If he is missing details in his game is it best if he goes to Abbotsford vs QMJHL? In Abbotsford Trent Cull and the skill coaches can continue to work with while being close to the big club so we can ensure we are controlling his development.

Be interesting to see him in some pre season games to get a better idea of where he is at but with what we've seen so far his skill level is good enough for the AHL and he doesn't lack size which is a consideration with some 18 year old prospects in deciding if they are ready to play against men.  Exciting to see him develop this year

• Vintage 1

23 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Seems like he's getting better everyday. :frantic:

Overall Benning and his scouting staff have done a phenomenal job drafting.  There have been bad picks, but there have been some second and later round beauties like Hoglander and Rathbone.  The Canucks scouting staff seem to be able to see potential in players other teams don’t see.  Reminds me of the Redwings scouting from years ago.   Klimovich looks like another blue chip star.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Thought Klim looked as good as any forward out there not name Boeser, Petan or Hoglander, offensively anyway. Tough game to judge the offensive guys as Seattle dominated the play but you can tell Klim plays with confidence and with instinct. You could hear him calling for the pick and had some nice dangles to create space. Will be really interesting to see his development, so far he is ticking a lot of boxes. Doesn't exactly fly out there but didn't look all that slow either.

• Cheers 1

Kid's too good for the Q, he needs to stay with Abbotsford, I think he is on the cusp of being NHL ready with proper coaching from Cull.

Either way, really exciting job and excellent drafting from Benning and Co. I really don't know how they find such great diamonds in the rough.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

looks like this kid's the real deal. 

was hoping for a win tonight against Seattle. 

Not really a fan of the Kraken's jersey. 

Looking forward to more pre-season Canuck games. Klimovich looks like he's too good for the Q. Sending him to Abby might be a better option as it'll be more challenging for him. He needs that, or else he'll end up just cruising in juniors. Canucks management also a lot closer to Abbotsford than they are if they send him to the Q. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Thinking Podz, Gadgetman, and Klim would make a pretty nasty, quick, potent lin

On 9/24/2021 at 10:34 PM, Smashian Kassian said:

Klim is obviously raw. The fact his skills themselves are shining through at an NHL camp is only a positive.

It was to be expected there would be work to do, but if the ability already there that's huge.  

Yeah He seems a bit choppy from being raw but with work to smooth his skating and body movements and oddly enough like OV who he wants his shot up to be but OV when he first got into the NHL was sort of choppy (for lack of a better word) but he quickly did less skating and curling around guys with a lot less effort and if Klim can come anywhere near that, then I could see a eventual line of Podz Klim and Bo in 2 years.. THAT would be a fun line to watch

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Last night’s performance for Dan Klim only added to my conviction that he should go to Abbotsford. He has more than enough advanced skill and skating ability to play at that level, while working on the little details in his game that clearly need work. Maybe he doesn’t play every game at the start of the season but gets lots of coaching and advanced video work. The Canucks coaches being just down the highway and just the general proximity to the big team will be easier for the kid than some Quebec outpost. Plus, on off days that synch up with the Canucks, he can meet up with his buddies Podz and Hogs.

I know its still highly unlikely, but I’m shocked at how close he appears to be from making the big team. I thought both the camp and the preseason games would see him struggling quite a bit. And when he finished in the top third of his group in the bag skate I realized just how driven this kid is to make the NHL. I am becoming a big fan.

100% agree.  Klim needs to learn the game at the pro level, so he's not thinking and just playing naturally. Once he is playing naturally, he's going to be amazing.  

• Vintage 1