The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Canucks terminate Virtanen’s contract

9 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Toxic negative Media, both professional and domestic 

I believe it. if I saw drance and sekeres and dhaliwal and patrick johnston and the horde of mindless twitter wannabes all making up nonsense, I wouldn't sign in vancouver either. 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Makes sense if he signs there. Why put in the big effort required to play in the NHL when you can float your way through the KHL. Give me Garland please. Late pick who has had to work, scrap and scratch for everything he has ever earned. 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, tas said:

I believe it. if I saw drance and sekeres and dhaliwal and patrick johnston and the horde of mindless twitter wannabes all making up nonsense, I wouldn't sign in vancouver either. 

Tbf, if your main sources of deterrence are guys like Drance, Sekeres, Dhaliwal, Johnston and Twitter, you probably need to build some mental fortitude. 

3 hours ago, BPA said:

I won't fault JB for extending Virtanen when he did (even though I did want him traded to somehow keep Toffoli).  I think we all hoped JV would figure things out and put it all together.  Just never happened.  The incident was just the cherry on top to justify moving on.

MTL

Schmidt

VAN

Toffoli

Means we add a 3rd to the prior trade for him. And I’d still do that trade.

Montreal probably doesn’t bite though…

38 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Tbf, if your main sources of deterrence are guys like Drance, Sekeres, Dhaliwal, Johnston and Twitter, you probably need to build some mental fortitude. 

why? if someone says "I'll pay you $5 mil a year to play hockey in my city, but you have to put up with constant harrassment and vitriolic lies from the media and fans," and another person says "I'll also pay you $5 mil a year to play hockey, and you can live a quiet, undisturbed, anonymous life while doing so," why would I "build some mental fortitude" instead of just taking the obviously better offer?

• Vintage 3

2 minutes ago, tas said:

why? if someone says "I'll pay you $5 mil a year to play hockey in my city, but you have to put up with constant harrassment and vitriolic lies from the media and fans," and another person says "I'll also pay you $5 mil a year to play hockey, and you can live a quiet, undisturbed, anonymous life while doing so," why would I "build some mental fortitude" instead of just taking the obviously better offer?

You're only accounting for when players are under performing. If a player succeeds in Vancouver he is treated like a GOD. Most players sign a contract believing they will succeed. You have to believe in yourself to be in the NHL, it's not like they go into a new city thinking they are going to play like crap. Vancouver may not be for everyone, but it's certainly high risk, high reward.

1 minute ago, Deets said:

You're only accounting for when players are under performing. If a player succeeds in Vancouver he is treated like a GOD. Most players sign a contract believing they will succeed. You have to believe in yourself to be in the NHL, it's not like they go into a new city thinking they are going to play like crap. Vancouver may not be for everyone, but it's certainly high risk, high reward.

agree to disagree. expectations are so high, it's almost impossible for these guys not to look like bums to the idiots in this market. furthermore, even if your premise was true (which I disagree with -- look at how canucks fans turned on hughes this year, for example), anonymity is far more enticing than being seen as a god. I don't want people coming up to me in public for an autograph or selfie any more than I want them coming up to me to spit in my face or call me loser. 

Just now, tas said:

agree to disagree. expectations are so high, it's almost impossible for these guys not to look like bums to the idiots in this market. furthermore, even if your premise was true (which I disagree with -- look at how canucks fans turned on hughes this year, for example), anonymity is far more enticing than being seen as a god. I don't want people coming up to me in public for an autograph or selfie any more than I want them coming up to me to spit in my face or call me loser. 

I would agree that some fans have done Huggy wrong this season, but HF Boards and CDC doesn't represent the average Canucks fan. Most people love this kid, but the vocal minority do take a toll no doubt. I think the internet itself promotes toxic fans, regardless of where you play.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Deets said:

I would agree that some fans have done Huggy wrong this season, but HF Boards and CDC doesn't represent the average Canucks fan. Most people love this kid, but the vocal minority do take a toll no doubt. I think the internet itself promotes toxic fans, regardless of where you play.

the point is, as pointed out by this player agent and alluded to previously by others in the know, players would rather avoid that toxicity. for most of them it's just not worth the hassle when they can have the exact same career elsewhere without the nonsense. 

5 minutes ago, tas said:

the point is, as pointed out by this player agent and alluded to previously by others in the know, players would rather avoid that toxicity. for most of them it's just not worth the hassle when they can have the exact same career elsewhere without the nonsense. 

Yet, when we were a contender we would attract free agents like Mats Sundin, Willie Mitchell, Radim Vrbada, Dan Hamhuis, etc.

The point is, you can't speak for everyones needs with a broad brush stroke. Some people want to be rock stars, others wallflowers. Some it's about money, others a cup. You can't just say that nobody wants to sign in Vancouver because our reporters are meanies. Some people don't give a $&!# what the media, social or otherwise, says.

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1