The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Nate Schmidt to Jets for 2022 3rd-round pick

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

… then you keep him.  

We don’t have a ready made replacement so there isn’t a burning need to move him.  He is a pro and you just tell him to perform so he is easier to move.   

Beyond that, there is no “filling up” of all the musical chairs when it comes to NHL D.  That game has way more chairs than there are bodies to fill them, even more so with Seattle taking a bunch from teams.  Always teams wanting to upgrade their D and not many D around to do it.

So you’re good with potentially blowing another year because team chemistry was toxic just to get proper return or perhaps a fleecing (Benning doesn’t fleece and it’s actually pretty counterproductive to fleece in the big picture anyway)?  You do realize that was a significant portion of last season’s failure, yes?

As for D, let’s see what goes down with NYI tomorrow.  Boston had already left trade talks by re-signing Reilly.  Realistic destinations, without salary retention, we’re dwindling rapidly.  I think the disconnect here is whether you think Horvat & Miller would put up with a repeat of last year.

Well I sorta wanted to see how Schmidt would do alongside OEL but if the player didn't want to be here then this was the obvious move to do.

Just hope we sign some value UFA contracts that aren't loaded with extra years on the term.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I didn’t want Schmidt or Holtby. 

I didn't want Holtby, but I was happy when Benning picked up Schmidt. Whether it was from the team perspective or the player perspective, it just wasn't a fit. I figure he couldn't be himself during such a sh*tty season and when he was, he stuck out as the odd man out when everyone else was so down. Then with covid and all, I imagine it's not a great introduction to a new team.

It's a shame. He's a good player who I thought would be that #2 guy we needed to stabilize the 2nd pp unit, and have more than 1 option on offense.

We didn't give up much to get him. I thought it was a great deal for us at the time, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised now we got the same back. I was hoping for a 2nd round pick minimum, but given his poor year, guess we did alright.

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I didn't want Holtby, but I was happy when Benning picked up Schmidt. Whether it was from the team perspective or the player perspective, it just wasn't a fit. I figure he couldn't be himself during such a sh*tty season and when he was, he stuck out as the odd man out when everyone else was so down. Then with covid and all, I imagine it's not a great introduction to a new team.

It's a shame. He's a good player who I thought would be that #2 guy we needed to stabilize the 2nd pp unit, and have more than 1 option on offense.

We didn't give up much to get him. I thought it was a great deal for us at the time, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised now we got the same back. I was hoping for a 2nd round pick minimum, but given his poor year, guess we did alright.

I know why he underperformed he seems to have forward head posture which actually weighs a person down (makes head heavier) and makes them slower, it seems it got worse than when he was in vegas. This is why when drafting for players posture and physique should be of importance also. Not saying good posture will lead to good skill. Look at Baertschi he had forward head posture. Sedins Petey all have great posture. What concerns me is Horvat and Motte who seems to have some forward head posture.

Edited by PositionOfPower