The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

No one is expecting QH and Petey to take a discount, we all just want a fair deal. I think what is puzzling is that we have 16+ million in cap space, which should be more than enough to sign a fair deal, so what is taking so long? Most likely the term and possibly LTIR fandangling

13 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Oh, so you accept that as a "reason" (excuse) for Quinn.

But, you don't accept reasons WHY the Canucks were bad?  Again:  no Petey for a duration.  COVID.  Worst schedule ever.  Maybe Quinn was even a little part of that reason because his defensive play needs work?

Apply that same fairness to both sides.  If you're going to talk about the Canucks being the worst, at least consider why, last year, that happened.  And the year before?  When we took out two tough opponents and nearly got through Vegas?  That gets missed in the conversations.

Love Quinn....but I'm already over this stuff.  His brother can answer honestly but I'm not sure he did.

I love that brothers defend one another...but it can be done tactfully.  This was anything but.

Not a big deal....but take a swing at our team and it seems only fair we get to fight back.

do the reasons why they were bad matter in this context? unless it was largely hughes's fault, I say no. whether they were bad for all of the accurate reasons you've listed or because the team (other than quinn of course) was abducted by aliens and replaced with the 2009 oilers wearing disguises, either way, the team being bad made quinn look worse than he otherwise would have on a better team, which is all jack was saying. keep in mind he's a 20 year old jock who wasn't that bright to begin with, his word choice is going to leave people wanting more often than not, I suspect. 

deb, you know where I stand with this team. I've been defending them all offseason long, pointing out that I believe the bubble showing is a more accurate representation than this past season was. that also means I believe quinn's rookie year is a better representation than this past year. which places me firmly in jack's corner. 

again, it wasn't a criticism of the team, it was just an observation. 

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I think the thing for me is this:  I love our young superstars...but there is the reality of a cap and, despite the reasons "why" it's a concern...it is.

Many players take a bit of a discount BECAUSE they want to win and it allows other key players to remain in place.  And it shows a team first mentality.

Should they have to?  No.  Is this a business where you should take care of your own interests?  Sure.

But there's a happy medium and if you're shooting for the stars while also shooting your team in the foot, it matters.  Not that it's the case...but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

I'm already over this...it's becoming a huge distraction and we have some exciting players in the mix who we really should be focusing on.  This is their time to shine (too).   It can't get done soon enough for me.  Over it (all).

I’d agree if we were a winning team players take discounts but  rarely do players take discounts when the team been the laughing stock of the league. 
asking them to take less because the gm decided  he needed a bottom six Pearson and a bottom pair poolman when we have capable farm hands and knowing cheap depth is always available right now (September) 

petey and hughes are the players you build a team around , cornerstones, franchise faces,  players that fans pay to see. They should have been the top priority as soon as extending them was allowed.

Because a gm is clueless with the cap the superstars need to take less. Petey hughes 

i don’t blame them one bit for not signing yet with the info that we have. 
Over pay for ufas so rfas need to take the discount.
Jb has no choice they don’t sign he’ll be fired a PR nightmare especially if we don’t come out strong to start the season. 
I aready feel like if this team isn’t a winning team by mid November he’ll be gone and that’s with those two , good luck having a winning team with the two best players watching. 
market value it changes as the off-season goes just like trades now young superstar dmen are highly paid the gms around the league have set the 2021 standards like it or not. 
nhlpa takes issues to when guys take less it hurts the “ union” brothers. 

As fans, we’ve been through some rough years of late, and deserve a season with minimal disruptions. Canucks just need to play, with their best players on the ice.  

Management, players and player agents need to cut us some slack and just get a deal done. (But not one that handcuffs this team, so disregard what I just said and ride this out until a fair contract is agreed to).

1 hour ago, tas said:

that touchy Vancouver persecution complex is showing. 

the Canucks were last place in a bad division last year. there is literally no other way to describe them other than as one of the worst teams in the league. 

To be honest, Quinn's lack luster play was a big contributing reason for us being that bad.  Yeah we had the worst schedule and the worst case of Covid, but Elias, Quinn and JT Miller were all struggling.  

I'm willing to write it off, but the team is not some entity that's separate from Quinn Hughes, he's a big part of it. 

1 hour ago, tas said:

that touchy Vancouver persecution complex is showing. 

the Canucks were last place in a bad division last year. there is literally no other way to describe them other than as one of the worst teams in the league. 

Worst division went to the finals lol? What does that say about the conference? If you want to describe the Canucks as one of the worst teams in the league based on last season, you can just head on over to the Maple Leafs forums and hangout with those guys.

What do you base your analysis off of? What makes Vancouver one of the worst teams? Please tell me more than just the overall standings, because if all you have to point at is the standings, you arent much of a fan or a follower of the team and you are more of a bandwagoner. ‘The team is winning, they are good, I better hop on!! Hmm…. The team is kinda struggling, this team sucks’ 

The standings did not and do not tell the whole story of how the season went. Its a lazy and lame ass way to label a team based on where they finished.

Dallas - SCF in 2019-20….

Dallas - Late start to the season due to COVID - somewhat tough scheduling, No Seguin… No playoffs.

Vancouver - 2nd round Game 7 2019-20

Vancouver - harshest scheduling in the entire league (not a conspiracy, just how COVID effected the scheudule) - COVID, No Pettersson… No playoffs.

2 teams with 3 things in common and its the same result. No other team had the same hurdles.

Injuries and tough scheduling at some point in the season are hurdles all teams go through. COVID is not a hurdle all teams go through or went through

Vancouver is not and was not a garbage team, they had an extremely difficult season. Get that through your head and recognize the difference between a garbage team and a horrendously unlucky season. 

• Cheers 1

Some of Quinn Hughes' +/- was due to the team, but a lot of it was due to his own play. He lacked the urgency defensively that he had in his first season. He had a really active stick in his first season and was all for wedging his stick into the play along the boards, this past year he played extremely passively and in doing so didn't even take men out of the equation on half the plays. 

His defense wasn't as bad as his +/- made it look, but it sure wasn't that far off. He was, without a doubt, one of the worst defensemen in terms of defending that year. For a large portion of the year he was the player out there with the most high danger chances against. That's more than likely a defensive stat than it is offense. That means shots being taken in the defensive wheelhouse more than likely. 

We all saw it. He was a detriment defensively in our own end. It should negate some of his aav. His point making is earning him the money but let's not pretend it was the teams' fault as to why our defense sucked. It wasn't every defenseman on the team posting terrible numbers, Quinn's was significantly worse than any of our other defenders by a large margin. He was a big factor as to why our defense sucked, so to claim "being on a bad team" when the offense was fine is a terrible argument lol. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

To be honest, Quinn's lack luster play was a big contributing reason for us being that bad.  Yeah we had the worst schedule and the worst case of Covid, but Elias, Quinn and JT Miller were all struggling.  

I'm willing to write it off, but the team is not some entity that's separate from Quinn Hughes, he's a big part of it. 

Agreed. Without reliable Tanev there to bail him out, his defensive lapses were exposed.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, combover said:

He’s hired an agent to get him the maximum amount.he’s not obligated to take a discount nor should he. 

lowballed or overpayment  “it’s a business” 

It’s 100% on Jb if he can’t get his young core of superstars signed. 

that said I still think both will be resigned before camp. Jb has to much at stake this season to leave either off his roster. 
It would be A PR nightmare this franchise can’t afford. 

PR nightmare for who?  

This should start becoming a PR nightmare for the players and the agents if they end up missing camp.  

Barzal's 7x3 for Petey 

Find another rover like Tyson Barrie, Adam Fox, Kris Letang, Shae Theodore and get Quinn signed.  

Jimbo didn't leave 16 million sitting idle to start lowballing our two stars.  If they're not signed soon, PR nightmare should be on them and their agent(s). 

13 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yup. How many times were we down early in a game by one or two and Quinn pushes for offence and makes a mistake that ends up in our net? Not saying he was the only one to do that but it happened more often then not. 

• Upvote 1

I mean, he probably looked at the standings and deduced the Canucks sucked lol.   Doesn't matter how or why, the fact remains we weren't a good team last year (and that's okay).

All that matters is Quinn signs the contract and gets us back on track.

11 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Worst division went to the finals lol? What does that say about the conference? If you want to describe the Canucks as one of the worst teams in the league based on last season, you can just head on over to the Maple Leafs forums and hangout with those guys.

What do you base your analysis off of? What makes Vancouver one of the worst teams? Please tell me more than just the overall standings, because if all you have to point at is the standings, you arent much of a fan or a follower of the team and you are more of a bandwagoner. ‘The team is winning, they are good, I better hop on!! Hmm…. The team is kinda struggling, this team sucks’ 

The standings did not and do not tell the whole story of how the season went. Its a lazy and lame ass way to label a team based on where they finished.

Dallas - SCF in 2019-20….

Dallas - Late start to the season due to COVID - somewhat tough scheduling, No Seguin… No playoffs.

Vancouver - 2nd round Game 7 2019-20

Vancouver - harshest scheduling in the entire league (not a conspiracy, just how COVID effected the scheudule) - COVID, No Pettersson… No playoffs.

2 teams with 3 things in common and its the same result. No other team had the same hurdles.

Injuries and tough scheduling at some point in the season are hurdles all teams go through. COVID is not a hurdle all teams go through or went through

Vancouver is not and was not a garbage team, they had an extremely difficult season. Get that through your head and recognize the difference between a garbage team and a horrendously unlucky season. 

I stopped reading 2 paragraphs in because you're confusing your tenses.

I don't think the canucks are one of the worst teams in the league (neither does jack hughes). having said that. the canucks, factually, were one of the worst teams in the league last year, regardless of circumstances, and that's what jack hughes (and I) said. 

14 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

PR nightmare for who?  

This should start becoming a PR nightmare for the players and the agents if they end up missing camp.  

Barzal's 7x3 for Petey 

Find another rover like Tyson Barrie, Adam Fox, Kris Letang, Shae Theodore and get Quinn signed.  

Jimbo didn't leave 16 million sitting idle to start lowballing our two stars.  If they're not signed soon, PR nightmare should be on them and their agent(s). 

Lol

yeah the two superstars on the team that sell tickets the  franchise players aren’t in the line up for opening night and you don’t think it would be a nightmare for JB and the Canucks…. ok. 
It’s a win for the agent shows he won’t let cap mismanagement control what he’s willing to let his top tier clients take. 
people keep throwing That same contract  out there because it meets your hopes and expectations there a laundry list of worse players getting paid more and better players getting less. 
7 for three is a pipe dream so pay your best player less than a declining dman hahahahaha. 
8.5 is the min I see EP signing for and hughes most likely the same. 
 term Is my guess on the hold up ep probably wants 4 - 5 years max and that sucks for a gm that can’t figure out how to win or manage the cap.

I think hughes is three but it’s not going to be the bargain most hope for  (just my guess) 

once again we won’t win without them Jb job depends on winning lame idiotic excuses won’t save him anymore. 

• Cheers 1