The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Noah Juulsen | D

-AJ-

17 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I'd be very surprised if he became more than a 5th/6th d-man. I'd love it, but I think the speed of the NHL game will keep him from being much more than a serviceable bottom pairing guy. He did well in the AHL, and kept out of trouble in his stints up here, but that's a big step to him being a top 4 guy.

His speed isn't an issue, he was a solid 1st round pick who projected as Top 4 potential. 

Scroll down on this site and read his overall analysis from his draft year: https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/nhl-draft-2016/noah-juulsen/

The talent and capability is there, but like OJ, he got derailed by injuries.

• Cheers 1

It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I believe there is more to Noah Juulsen's game than he's been able to show in the AHL and NHL.  Big, RHD, who has the 1st round pedigree is a player worth signing.  Hopefully Juulsen will choose to return to the Canucks organization, if given the opportunity.

59 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I believe there is more to Noah Juulsen's game than he's been able to show in the AHL and NHL.  Big, RHD, who has the 1st round pedigree is a player worth signing.  Hopefully Juulsen will choose to return to the Canucks organization, if given the opportunity.

I think he will be re-signed by the Canucks and my only concern about him is how badly the puck to the face a few years ago has affected his peripheral vision as that would limit his ability to see and make plays that might develop off to the side. Everything else about him looks like it can be further developed into the player he was projected to be before the eye injury.

• 2 weeks later...

Noah Juulsen completed 58 professional games this year, the most in his career.  

He might be poised to make big gains this summer as he will finally be fully healthy and able to train.  I don't want us to punt on a season, but I would really like to see more of Juulsen next year so I'm okay with waiting a year to upgrade our defense. 

On 10/10/2021 at 12:45 PM, -AJ- said:

Acquired in the trade of Olli Juolevi. It's almost a foregone conclusion that Juulsen will start in Abbotsford, so I'm putting him in the prospects section for now.

Juulsen1.pngJuulsen2.pngJuulsen3.png

Look at how many missed games this kids suffered due to injury 

Having him healthy, like actually healthy.  Even Tanev healthy would be amazing for him and possibly for us as well if he rounds in to a serviceable 5-6 RHD

1 hour ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Man of the Year? What does that entail?

Community work.  See the AHL teams' nominations:

Traditionally acknowledging a player for his outstanding contributions to his local community, this season the league expanded the Person of the Year program to allow teams to recognize individuals who played an important and perhaps unexpected role in supporting their organization and/or impacting the local community as the AHL again navigated through a season impacted by COVID-19.

This year’s team winners of the IOA/American Specialty AHL Person of the Year awards are:

Abbotsford Canucks ― Noah Juulsen, Defenseman
Bakersfield Condors  Ryan Holt, Director of Media Relations and Broadcasting
Belleville Senators  Breanne Matthews, Vice President of Sales and Marketing
Bridgeport Islanders  Samuel Provost, Community Engagement Manager
Charlotte Checkers  Mary Grams, Vice President of Corporate Partnerships
Chicago Wolves  Ivan Lodnia, Forward
Cleveland Monsters  Ben Adams, Sr. Director of Marketing and Communications
Colorado Eagles  Kevin McGlue, Vice President of Communications and Broadcasting
Grand Rapids Griffins  Kyle Criscuolo, Forward
Hartford Wolf Pack  Jared Degler, Assistant Athletic Trainer
Henderson Silver Knights  Gabe Mirabelli, Director of Enterprise Operations
Hershey Bears  Dan “Beaker” Stuck, Manager of Wellness and Team Affairs
Iowa Wild  Dakota Mermis, Defenseman
Laval Rocket  Rafaël Harvey-Pinard, Forward
Lehigh Valley Phantoms  Trevor Herrick, Director of Sales
Manitoba Moose  Jimmy Oligny, Defenseman
Milwaukee Admirals  Mike Wojciechowski, Vice President of Business Development
Ontario Reign  Cameron Gaunce, Defenseman
Providence Bruins  Nick Neary, Video Coach
Rochester Americans  Kent Weisbeck, Assistant Athletic Trainer
Rockford IceHogs  Russ Holden, Equipment Manager
San Diego Gulls  Jeff Goduti, Team Services Manager
San Jose Barracuda  Nick Nollenberger, Media Relations and Broadcasting Manager
Springfield Thunderbirds  Jim Syner, Boomer
Stockton Heat  Brandon Weiss, Director, Communications
Syracuse Crunch  Jackie Decker, Community Relations Manager
Texas Stars  Anthony Louis, Forward
Toronto Marlies  Rich Clune, Forward
Tucson Roadrunners  Bokondji Imama, Forward
Utica Comets  Damion Parmelee, Equipment Manager
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins  Pierre-Olivier Joseph, Defenseman

Presented annually since 1998, the AHL’s Yanick Dupré Memorial Award honors the late Yanick Dupré, who passed away in 1997 at the age of 24 following a 16-month battle with leukemia. A second-round draft pick of the Philadelphia Flyers in 1991, Dupré played four seasons in the AHL with the Hershey Bears and was an AHL All-Star in 1995."

Winner was just announced:

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League announced today that Iowa Wild defenseman Dakota Mermis has been selected as the winner of the Yanick Dupré Memorial Award for 2021-22.

Over his six seasons as a player in the American Hockey League, Mermis has placed an emphasis on making positive contributions to his community. In 2021-22, his first season in Des Moines, Mermis stepped into and embraced a leadership role both on and off the ice. With the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic – and the birth of his first child in December – altering his approach, Mermis, along with his wife, Sarah, remained steadfast in believing in the importance of community work.

Among his many endeavors, Mermis teamed up with the Urbandale Community Action Network to provide essentials such as winter clothing and food supplies to local families in need around the holiday season. He also covered the cost for UCAN families to have special experiences at Wild games, enjoying a night out when they might normally not have the means to do so. Mermis was heavily involved in the team’s Pucks ‘n’ Paws Day featuring a visit to the Animal Rescue League of Iowa, as well as the Wild’s annual Pink in the Rink game for cancer awareness.

With a positive attitude and genuine humility, Mermis has helped the entire Iowa Wild organization continue to be a pillar of the greater Des Moines community.

On 4/28/2022 at 11:56 AM, VegasCanuck said:

His speed isn't an issue, he was a solid 1st round pick who projected as Top 4 potential. 

Scroll down on this site and read his overall analysis from his draft year: https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/nhl-draft-2016/noah-juulsen/

The talent and capability is there, but like OJ, he got derailed by injuries.

Right in the middle of the scouting report from your link: "nor should he be considered a swift skater." He's not fast. Now, I'm not saying he's a lumbering beast, but when talking about speed I'm referring to how much faster the game is processed at the NHL level more than his skating. I'm not even saying he's bad there, but that he has to keep it simple or risk mistakes. I don't know that he has much extra to give.

Now, if he can add a little extra to that simple, steady game, he's got a chance at a 6-7 spot. If he can do that consistently, maybe even a regular 5th D, but it's probably reasonable to not expect much more than that at this point.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

maybe the Noah we need, 6'2, 201, rh d. 

Hopefully Colliton can get him and Woo back on track. That could be one of the best storylines this season.

We could really use a prospect coming out of nowhere this season. Much like when Bieksa or Tanev joined the team and never looked back.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Hopefully Colliton can get him and Woo back on track. That could be one of the best storylines this season.

We could really use a prospect coming out of nowhere this season. Much like when Bieksa or Tanev joined the team and never looked back.

DeNiro, you are always on point !  If I'm GM of the Canucks, I'm following this forum.

• Cheers 1

On 9/3/2022 at 10:07 PM, Comeback_Kings said:

Yeah, imagine Canucks already have their Devon Toews like turnaround project in the system, plays right D.  

Fans should especially be cheering these guys on.  Schenn, Burroughs, Juulson, Dermott, one of these guys is the player we need.  

*___  all we're looking for is a defensive RD!

100%  

Juulsen was the highest touted RD of the bunch and he had three years of his development erased by injuries.  However they weren't the same types of injuries that Juolevi suffered, so Juulsen's mobility isn't screwed.  

I actually really liked Noah in all 6 games that he got to play in the NHL last year, so I have very high hopes for him if he can stay healthy.  We might see development that you'd usually see happen for a d-man between ages of 20 to 22, happen for Noah this upcoming year.  Fingers crossed! 

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

100%  

Juulsen was the highest touted RD of the bunch and he had three years of his development erased by injuries.  However they weren't the same types of injuries that Juolevi suffered, so Juulsen's mobility isn't screwed.  

I actually really liked Noah in all 6 games that he got to play in the NHL last year, so I have very high hopes for him if he can stay healthy.  We might see development that you'd usually see happen for a d-man between ages of 20 to 22, happen for Noah this upcoming year.  Fingers crossed! 

For my part I don't believe he can process the game quick enough, slow te game down a tad (AHL ) and he'll do fine

47 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

For my part I don't believe he can process the game quick enough, slow te game down a tad (AHL ) and he'll do fine

Fair enough, I haven't seen enough on that front. What the limited time I saw, his outlet passes were simple and he had the foot speed and physical strength to keep up with everyone. 

Let's see how his season goes. 

23 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Fair enough, I haven't seen enough on that front. What the limited time I saw, his outlet passes were simple and he had the foot speed and physical strength to keep up with everyone. 

Let's see how his season goes. 

Has Juulson been resigned?