The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the division lost already?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think we have been saying that for quite some time now and they are just too good to ever cool down. I do think Edmonton is a pretty balanced team though, nothing amazing outside McDavid and Draisaitl but it seems pretty good and it helps that Bouchard and Pulijarvi both are finally figuring it out.

I can see the team being one of the Top 2 teams in the division, I am still iffy on how they will do in the playoffs though. 

Eh, Bouchard is still atrocious defensively.  I don't think his play in his own zone will ever be good enough.  That right side is not even NHL quality.

10 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

The Canucks are a work in progress.  I expected a slow start and I see no reason why they won't play much better towards the end of the season.

I never expected to win the division but I still think that they have a shot at the top 3 in their division.  They won't likely catch Edmonton.  They look better than I expected.  Calgary I would consider to be at a similar level.  I don't expect San Jose or Anaheim to remain ahead of the Canucks and there's no telling how Vegas will end up.

This is a season for growth.  

2015 - 2016: 28th

2016 - 2017: 29th

2017 - 2018: 26th

2018 - 2019: 23rd

2019 - 2020: 17th (WOOO)

2020 - 2021: 24th

We've been a "work in progress" searching for "growth" for over half a decade now.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Who exactly had us pegged to challenge for the division title? 

@stawns is right. Troll thread is troll thread.

Nobody but shouldn’t that be the organizations goal? I just find that the organizations expectations are very low all the time. It would just be nice to have a chance at taking the division rather than always being penciled in at the bottom and it is expected for us to be there. 

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Nobody but shouldn’t that be the organizations goal? I just find that the organizations expectations are very low all the time. It would just be nice to have a chance at taking the division rather than always being penciled in at the bottom and it is expected for us to be there. 

We were penciled in the be around the middle of the division this year, and a bubble team come playoff time, which is a noticeable step up from where we finished last season. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I know it’s still early but looking at the oilers record 8-1-0 and the fact they still have a game in hand. Is the division lost? Calgary has a good record too. I just don’t see Edmonton going on a long losing streak. I am happy they got their first home ice win but the pp is still really bad and the pk is still really bad. Looking at it realistically there is no way we make the playoffs with special teams that bad. This coming off a season where they admitted it was bad and needed improvement and it’s actually worse this year. I don’t know but stats don’t lie when your at the bottom of a lot of categories. Are playoffs a realistic thing for this group? 

If your expectation was to win the division, anything is possible, but I think you were shooting a little high. Particularly with half the team being replaced this offseason and only two returning D from last year to start the season. Something that widely seems to go ignored. That's an awful lot of players learning a new system and needing to develop chemistry and get know each others tendencies. All that said, with only 72 games remaining, according to the standings this morning we are a whopping two points out of a wildcard spot. To worry if we're making the playoffs at this point is rather premature.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I know it’s still early but looking at the oilers record 8-1-0 and the fact they still have a game in hand. Is the division lost? Calgary has a good record too. I just don’t see Edmonton going on a long losing streak. I am happy they got their first home ice win but the pp is still really bad and the pk is still really bad. Looking at it realistically there is no way we make the playoffs with special teams that bad. This coming off a season where they admitted it was bad and needed improvement and it’s actually worse this year. I don’t know but stats don’t lie when your at the bottom of a lot of categories. Are playoffs a realistic thing for this group? 

This team is still relying heavily on 2 offensive juggernaut.  Their season could derail really fast if either of McDavid or Draisailt would miss a couple of months due to injury.

Also, October and November are always high scoring months.  Teams are still learning the system and getting warmed up for the winter stretch.  That's when the play really gets tighter and I expect the Oilers to slow down.  They might still win, but it'll be close IMO

• Vintage 1

Just because teams are hot in Oct doesn’t mean they’re going to make the playoffs. Its a long season. teams have only played around 10% of their season games. The other 90% of the season alot happens.

example: do you think Buffalo will beat out Boston for a playoff spot? 

We were never expected to win the division, let alone be a top two team. At best we were always going to be team #3 or a wildcard team. 

Vegas and Edmonton were always supposed to lead the charge, regardless of Edmonton's reported holes. Calgary's better than expected, no question. 

Is it concerning? Yeah, no doubt. We should be better than we've been given our roster, and LA's gradually on the ascent. Seattle's solid, despite their lack of scoring punch. 

Will this team ever roll over the rest of the division the way the Sedin era team did? Probably not. Should we be in the playoff mix? Yeah. Are we? Technically, but I'm not all that optimistic. 

On 11/3/2021 at 9:15 PM, King Heffy said:

Edmonton's playing over their head.  Their defence is still awful and Koskinen is getting lucky  Once McDiver and Divesite cool off a bit, they'll hit a bit of a skid.  Calgary is playing well now, but how will they manage when they hit a losing streak without a captain?  They have guys like Tkachuk and Lucic who both have severe character issues.  They'll implode eventually unless they make a trade to get a couple of top 6 forwards who aren't gutless cowards.

Calgary also has an X Canuck in net. Calgary fans have a thing about x Canucks. Many of them don't fit 

we were never expected to challenge for the division.. but with how well the flames are playing.. it might be a big issue making the playoff.. i think it's fairly safe to say only 3 teams is making the playoff from the pacific.. highly unlikely any of the pacific team gets the 2nd wild card spot..

edmonton will prolly end up running away with the division regardless of whatever you guys think about their defense or goalie.. they can outscore their defensive issue during the regular season.. vegas will probably float above water till all their injured players are back and then pull away in 2nd place.. depending how sutter have the flames playing the entire season that might be the team we realstically have a chance to catch.. but unless we figure out this PP and PK real fast.. and stop giving up the first goal every game.. 8 out of 10 so far this season 60% last season.. and with like a 37% win rate giving up 1st goal.. we might be out of it real quick..

44 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

we were never expected to challenge for the division.. but with how well the flames are playing.. it might be a big issue making the playoff.. i think it's fairly safe to say only 3 teams is making the playoff from the pacific.. highly unlikely any of the pacific team gets the 2nd wild card spot..

edmonton will prolly end up running away with the division regardless of whatever you guys think about their defense or goalie.. they can outscore their defensive issue during the regular season.. vegas will probably float above water till all their injured players are back and then pull away in 2nd place.. depending how sutter have the flames playing the entire season that might be the team we realstically have a chance to catch.. but unless we figure out this PP and PK real fast.. and stop giving up the first goal every game.. 8 out of 10 so far this season 60% last season.. and with like a 37% win rate giving up 1st goal.. we might be out of it real quick..

Why is it safe to day only three teams?   Personally this narrative that the Pacific is so terrible is a little whack.   ARI is worse the Seattle, addition by both addition and subtraction.    That leaves ANA as the worst team in our division, followed by probably SJ ... but they seem to be going down swinging.   LA isn't that bad, due for a possible rebound.    Central has COl, ST. louis and WNP...and a mixed bag like us after that including Dallas.   CHI is their SJ...old and holding back on a complete rebuild.   NSH is close too.  MIN doesn't strike fear into anyone either.    Splitting the wild cards is likely enough.