The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Benning trade our 22 1st round pick?

Rate this topic

EP4EVA

I'm wondering if Benning, out of desperation, will trade our 2022 1st round pick that will likely be a top 10 pick with many quality D in the 5 - 10 over all pick slot.

My fear is that rather than making a coaching change, he will trade assets for potential PK players and our 1st this year for a top 4 D that has been under performing on their current team. IE Derrick Pouliot

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, EP4EVA said:

I'm wondering if Benning, out of desperation, will trade our 2022 1st round pick that will likely be a top 10 pick with many quality D in the 5 - 10 over all pick slot.

My fear is that rather than making a coaching change, he will trade assets for potential PK players and our 1st this year for a top 4 D that has been under performing on their current team. IE Derrick Pouliot

We got a 3rd round pick for Schmidt.:P

29 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

We got a 3rd round pick for Schmidt.:P

That was very silly IMO. We should've kept him for one more year but then again I'm not aware of what's happening in the background. Clearly keeping him was a huge liability.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I hope he doesn't trade any 1sts in next year's draft. That's supposed to be a deep draft. We could get some amazing prospects. 

How many draft picks do we have for next year in 2022 anyways? Does anyone know? 

We do not have a second, but have an extra third round pick (Winnipeg) according to Cap Friendly

Edited by Fred65

13 hours ago, EP4EVA said:

I highly doubt that Benning would do that, but IF the Canucks go on a tear between now and the trade deadline and are either in the #4 spot or are within reasonable striking distance, then yeah, I could definitely see Benning moving a 1st for help this season similar to what the Oilers did in 2006 when they acquired Dwayne Roloson at that time.  

On the flip side however, I can also see Benning moving Boeser for a 1st and/or elite prospect at the deadline if the Canucks are way out of a playoff spot.  Boeser QO at the end of this season will be 7.5 million and so I don’t know if Benning will want to pay Boeser by that amount.......although the way Benning treats Boeser could also have an impact on Pettersson’s future decisions?  Who knows.

All I know is that for now, the Canucks have to take it one game at a time.  Even though we stunk last year, we still managed to have an

8-3-2 stretch of good hockey.  We need to have that stretch right now.  One game is already out of the way, so if we were to go 7-3-2 over the next 11, we would be 13-13-4 which would likely get us back into the conversation for the number 4 spot with another 52 games to be played.

Edited by Patel Bure

Well, it depends.............

We need a top 2 RHD (not cheap), a RHD prospect, and a 3rd line center with FO and PK capabilities

Assets to trade.......................sue me if you disagree

- Miller at the TDL

- Pearson at the TDL

- 2022-1st

- 2023-1st

- 2023-2nd

- 2024-1st

- 2024-2nd

- MDP

- Rathbone (It kills me to suggest that)

- Poolman (I think Woo is waiver eligible next year Could be wrong????)

IMO, we can get those by...............

Top 2 RHD...........Trade..............something like Miller and Rathbone for ?????  or Miller and our 2024 1st

RHD prospect......Draft...............Depending where we are in the draft.........trade up for Nemec or Jiricek or take Luneau (HoH choice later on)

3rd line Center.....UFA.................Tierney or Paul out of Ottawa ?????

Anyways, I am righting off this season, in regards of needing to make the playoffs (it is ok that we do, but honestly I almost hope we don't) Not a tank, just let it land where it may. But also, with the above change, I see us there next year.

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I hope he doesn't trade any 1sts in next year's draft. That's supposed to be a deep draft. We could get some amazing prospects. 

How many draft picks do we have for next year in 2022 anyways? Does anyone know? 

If only there was some way to find out....

https://www.google.com/search?q=canucks+draft+picks+2022