The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Inactivity creating a lack of trust for fans (?)

Rate this topic

PetterssonOrPeterson

Hello all,

For the last 8 years, ownership and management has been trying to sell us on establishing a "winning environment" and building a culture/identity that wouldn't tolerate losing. 

Last year was an absolute mess. It was very telling when players like Schmidt and Holtby came out and talked about that "bizarre" time they had with this team last year. Probably still a pass though by fans and ownership alike because it was that gross north division season.

This year was supposed to be different, and when it ended up being more of the same... obviously the fans are pissed and ownership has been in a "state of shock" (lol). 

Yet they still refuse to make a change and keep delaying the process to a point where we've now reached the lowest starting record in this franchise's 52 year history, which I think is a pretty big F you from the ownership to fans.

I think what gets me is just how ownership expects fans to trust in their message and whatever they're trying to sell when they refuse to change anything about their team/product?

More importantly, why should fans trust them? They've exposed how they truly operate and pretty clearly this season.

Why should season ticket holders trust in owners that profess building a winning culture that doesn't tolerate losing because this city "won't accept it"? but ironically, they show that they themselves are accepting it? Especially in a season where everything was "supposed to work" in their eyes?

It's basic business practice to build a trusting relaionship with your clients so that they consume more of your product.

Your clients put their trust in you which is what makes them purchase the products that the business owner is selling. If the business owner continues to be negligent about a faulty product that a customer is constantly complaing about, then why should the customer keep consuming the product? Why should the consumer trust the owner? 

Is this a tellale sign of how things in the future will also be dealt with when/if things go wayward for this team? 

They're not dumb, or at least, they shouldn't be considering the fact that they made over a billion in net worth due to business.

They know fully that if they had forced a change earlier in the season and taken some bold actions, there might've been a way to salvage the season with a fresh voice/mind conributing ideas and strategies for this team. It also shows the fans that you care.

They've just decided to throw out this season like they did the last and let their "beloved" clients suffer as a result of it. The ones that help stuff their pockets. 

Who knows, maybe in a few hours, a day or two they finally get off their a*ses and do something they already should've done, but as of now, they continue to tarnish the trust that fans have/had in this franchise. 

53 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

They're not dumb, or at least, they shouldn't be considering the fact that they made over a billion in net worth due to business.

They know fully that if they had forced a change earlier in the season and taken some bold actions, there might've been a way to salvage the season with a fresh voice/mind conributing ideas and strategies for this team. It also shows the fans that you care.

I just think it comes down to them wanting to make as much money as possible and not being willing to endure a full rebuild,  because it could hurt revenue.  If there were fans in the building last year we probably would have seen change already.  I'm sure next season we will have a new GM and coach.  Hopefully the owner takes a step back and lets someone with experience run his hockey team.

I am committed to inactivity myself in that I will still support the team from my home but will not spend any money on them.

This means no going to games or purchasing merchandise.

To the Aquilini's money talks so if fans resist filling their pockets with cash maybe they will get the point. As long as revenue keeps flowing in then inactivity will continue.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

They should have taken action on Benning two years ago when he let Tanev and Toffoli walk and Green this past summer. The damage is already done. 

The team has a culture of accepting losing and blaming everything but themselves from the top down. Even if they make changes now it’s too late to see it as anything but money motivated, not actually giving a $&!# about the team salvaging the season.

• Like 4

At this point might as well go all in for wright.  Maybe they are keeping them along due to the constant losses.  Get that lottery pick!  I honestly cant come up with another reason why any owner would tolerate this.  People say money, but shouldn’t it be up to the fans to not attend games for such a poor pathetic product?  

if fans stop going to games, owners will be forced to do something.   Remember Pittsburgh?  Fans literally stopped attending.  Next season Lemieux comes out of retirement and they draft Crosby.   

• Like 1

I can't speak for the owners, but only for how I would respond in their position.  If it were me, I believe that the whole thing needs to be torn down.  That's GM right through the make-up of the team.  I personally would let the coach go at this point and just have Shaw take over in the interim.  I wouldn't expect miracles, just hope the team finds some cohesion and maybe get our star players looking somewhat better.  I would advise Jim that no trades can be made without consent of ownership.

My efforts right now would be to find the best possible President of Hockey Operations for this team, and let them evaluate what is happening both in the office and on ice and then let them decide on a GM and then have the GM and President determine the new coach going forward.  This process could take some time.

At this point, I wouldn't be in a rush just to change "something", it is already too late.  2 - 3weeks ago, it may have worked, now its about finding a permanent "fix".  Does this affect the fan-base?  Definitely.  However, if you can truly fix the issues top down, then hopefully what you would build would offset the damages.

Why is it that 95% of people on this board think greens not a good coach but much of the media support the idea green is a good coach?

Rebuild makes no sense to me at this point.

I've never liked green as a coach. I just haven't been able to figure out whats wrong with me when the people who are in high up positions don't agree with me on green. 

8 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Why is it that 95% of people on this board think greens not a good coach but much of the media support the idea green is a good coach?

Rebuild makes no sense to me at this point.

I've never liked green as a coach. I just haven't been able to figure out whats wrong with me when the people who are in high up positions don't agree with me on green. 

It wasn't hard to like Green for the first few years. He started with a rebuilding team and improved for 3 straights years, culminating in a nice playoff run and winning 2 rounds. Our Rookies were put in great positions to succeed and we had 3 straight Calder finalists. The team seemed to like him and buy in. 

Then the wheels fell off last year and he hasn't been able to turn it around. There is no buy-in any more and the team is a disaster. I do think that (at least partially) is Green's fault. It's time to move on from Green, but he did serve us well for 3 years.

Edited by MattJVD

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Maybe Francesco is listening to the wrong people - those that continue say say that Travis Green is a real good coach.  He's really not, in the NHL anyway. 

I don’t think it even matters at this point. 

Good coaches get fired.

It happens to every head coach eventually.

Even if Green was the reigning Jack Adams winner, he’d still be on the hot seat, after this bad a start.

And most teams wouldn’t wait this long.

It’s like when you have the same boss for too long and there isn’t as much tension to impress or prove yourself.  Human nature is a big driver behind why nhl coaches tend to have a defined shelf life.  Green had some success bringing this team along but it seems to be a case where a change would be for the best.

Rather see them take a patient approach, than making a desperate trade, to create the illusion that they are doing something.   It is obvious, that they have no clue on what to do cause the major roster tweaking bullet has already been spent (no cap space and a very valuable 1st round pick); and anything this leadership crew will do, will only make things worst.  A patient approach, is more preferable, at this time until they can figure it out - with some outside help that has autonomy.

2 hours ago, justathought said:

Who really knows, maybe Pettersson is toxic in the locker room?

Is that you Sekeres?

All joking aside, he may be.  But not in the traditional sense. 

I don't see how his dropping off a cliff so suddenly and inexplicably, can NOT create tension in the room. A mixture of feeling sorry for your team mate and what he's going through, and wanting to support him, combined with watching how he just kills momentum on the ice, sabotaging scoring opportunities, and is frustrating to play with, when only a couple of years ago he was such a delight to play with.

• Like 1