The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] January 25, 2022 Edmonton Oilers (19-16-2) @ Vancouver Canucks (18-19-4) at 7:00 SNPTV and SNP650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Because I think it's garbage that some are making him out to be a joke and $&!#ting on him for coming in and trying his best in a bad situation. Ain't his fault all the other goaltenders went down or that his development has kind of gone off the track a bit these last couple seasons. 

He's 22 and 6 feet, we've no idea what he'll be. Is it likely he makes it? For most players it ain't likely at all, but let's not pretend to know. 

Its amazing how people can fault Mikey DiPietro in that game.

Was even listening to goalie expert Kevin Woodley of In goal magazine and basically said, Mikey was thrown into a difficult situation against a very good NHL team and the impact of not playing a lot of games in the past two years. Its so unfair to expect for him to develop and mature his game with the given circumstances

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I said the other day, we're getting Oiler's first round pick this year for Martin at the deadline! He's an upgrade on anything  they have  ;)

If Halak wont wave then Martin wont really ever play for the nucks, so what about something like Martin for Kassian? I know we've been there done that, but in reality Kassian as a human and a player is completely different than he was 5 years ago.

34 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't understand why Halak would not waive his NTC. He could listen to his options and say yes or no. At his age I cannot see him not wanting another crack at playoffs. 

Because he doesn't want to move! Not everyone want's to hop around the NHL mid season, especially during a Pandemic.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

January 23, 2022: 

Tanner Pearson: "Going back to last year, I think I'm the only player not to get COVID on the Canucks."

January 25, 2022: 

Tanner Pearson has been placed in COVID protocol.

He only have himself to blame for setting up that flag. 

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Because he doesn't want to move! Not everyone want's to hop around the NHL mid season, especially during a Pandemic.

Hypothetically if the Canucks were to tell him that he's not part of the plans for the near or longterm future and they're not going to play him to reach his bonus, I would bet he'd be willing to move to a team that'd give him an opportunity to play a role.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Hypothetically if the Canucks were to tell him that he's not part of the plans for the near or longterm future and they're not going to play him to reach his bonus, I would bet he'd be willing to move to a team that'd give him an opportunity to play a role.

Telling a player you're not going to play him despite his being healthy and our needing him wouldn't go well, I'm almost certain something like that would leak. At that point you're not honoring the clause he negotiated, you're strongarming him into a move. 

If that got out future UFA's might have second thoughts. 

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

If Halak wont wave then Martin wont really ever play for the nucks, so what about something like Martin for Kassian? I know we've been there done that, but in reality Kassian as a human and a player is completely different than he was 5 years ago.

I'd have Zac back. He's certainly matured and plays now how we wished he would've played for us back then!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

With Halak they're either going to have to ride him out for the season, playing him as our backup, or your find a move he's open to. 

And if he's not open to a move, you play him. Benning knew what he was getting into when he signed that deal, Halak did us a solid taking a bonus laden deal so that he'd fit into our cap structure.