The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roberto Luongo to be inducted into Canucks Ring of Honour

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

It comes down to does a retired number just depends on performance or is it performance plus something intangible. 

People want his number retirement will judge purely on the numbers and those that does not will factor in other things off the ice. 

But we know he wasn't treated well by management after he spoke up. 

Saying that it's not his fault he left it could have been different.

Way it is he was still by far the best player this team ever had.

2 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

Probably an unpopular opinion here. But I think only Linden and the Sedins should be in the rafters. The Ring is the right move for Lu

(edit spelling)

I'd throw Smyl in there too, he was Linden for this franchise before Linden was Linden. Some might argue he set a lower bar but when his jersey was retired he was the greatest forward we'd ever had, if not player. Plus, look how involved he still is to this day, man bleeds Canucks. He gets in for similar reasons as Linden imo. He also gets the benefit of being the first jersey retired, there was no bar before him.

The twins raised it. I wouldn't have retired Bure, he simply wasn't a Canuck long enough in my books. Parts of seven seasons here but two of those seasons were fifty nine games play combined. I understand he could be argued as our most talented player ever but I'd have him in the ring. Naslund has a better argument for being in the rafters than Bure does imo. Eleven full seasons, captain, here for part of twelve if you could the ten game stint in 95-96. 

The bar for jersey retirement here is lower than I'd like. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think if you were the best player at your position in the world for a time and you are in the HHOF, then that is the major basis for getting your number retired.  Time with the team is also important, as is winning cups, being a team leader and then what you have done off the ice.

Smyl and Linden meet the latter criteria while Bure and the Sedins meet the first two.  Luongo really meets the same amount of criteria as Bure and more than Naslund.  So you can't just arbitrarily change the criteria and make it harder for the next guy.  

At the end of the day, Luongo asked for a trade and so did Bure.  Luongo holds 8 team records, Bure holds 5.  Luongo played 8 seasons with Vancouver, Bure played 7.  Bure won the Calder trophy, Luongo won the William Jennings trophy.  Both players took their team to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.  Bure was a fan favourite, but so was Luongo.  Fans chanting Luuuu for all those years proves tha.  So, I fail to see what Bure did that Luongo didn't with this team.  

Naslund's number shouldn't even be retired as you set the bar way too low.  But Luongo is on par with Bure to be honest...

Agree with your entire argument until you get to Naslund.  You can debate whether he should have his # retired but I reject the bar being “way too low” and he meets many of the criteria you mentioned.

He played almost as many games as Smyl, more playoff games for the Canucks than Smyl, and  won the Lester B Pearson Award in 2003 as the Outstanding player as selected by his peers.

3rd in points behind the Sedins

2nd in goals

5th in assists

6th in games played, 12 back of Smyl

1st (tied with Tanti) in hat tricks

2nd in game winners

2nd in pp goals

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Should have retired his number. Guy is a Canuck legend, and HHOF. That should seal the deal. 

I see the argument a lot that because he's in the HHOF, that should play a huge role in whether or not his jersey is retired here and I disagree with it.

What's Luongo's greatest accomplishment of his career? Winning gold in the Olympics. The HHOF takes into account international success, the Canucks rafters don't.

I believe's he's the best goalie in our franchise history, but I don't think that's enough. We had a lot of great regular seasons with him, one big playoff run, but not enough sustained playoff success even during many successive seasons where we were tops in our division.

Ring of Honour is appropriate.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

He said he would waive his no trade clause long before that

He was convinced to stay by ownership that final year. He was convinced the franchise would use him fairly and be the number one. All that went to the toilet when Torts disrespected him.

I’m fine with the RoH and am definitely in the camp that there’s no way his jersey should be retired.  Heart was always in Florida… Never won the big game outside of 2010 and that was on a knife edge after getting scored on in the last minute.  WJC he blew it in OT.  Sewered us so hard with his trade demand and subsequent cap recapture at the worst possible time and that lead to us losing some key players.  Has also been awful to the team on social media since he’s left.

Best Goalie we ever had

Last Goalie to wear a C since 1948

As for what did he win.............well we have jerseys retired...........and what did they win?

I am really glad he will be in the ring of honor.................he should get it just for coming to the ceremony after the Keenan outdoor game fiasco.

IMO..........I think we have treated our actual super stars, pretty friggin badly (Bure and Luongo)

Sedin's, Linden, Smyl, etc should be in the ring of honor

Our bar is low...............None of them won anything

Should have retired his jersey. Hockey Hall of Fame is somehow not enough to earn him that honour with our team, where he played the most meaningful games of his career. A terrible decision.

Ottawa is retiring the jersey of Chris Neil for gods sake.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

We are talking about with the Canucks.  Not career wise.  Otherwise Messier would be up in the rafters :sick:

Okay, during his tenure with the Canucks, he was a top 5 goalie in that span. 

4th in GP

4th in wins

3rd in GAA

2nd in SV%

3rd in SO

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

FOH.  I don’t think Naslund should be up there, but he’s easily ahead of Luongo.

Naslund was voted best player in the league by his peers one year and was right up there for a multi year stretch.  

Roberto “two time second team all star” Luongo was a very good goalie for a long time but didn’t hit Naslund’s highs.

Lol Markus naslund is nowhere near Luongos level. 

This fan base has always misunderstood goaltending.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

Agree with your entire argument until you get to Naslund.  You can debate whether he should have his # retired but I reject the bar being “way too low” and he meets many of the criteria you mentioned.

He played almost as many games as Smyl, more playoff games for the Canucks than Smyl, and  won the Lester B Pearson Award in 2003 as the Outstanding player as selected by his peers.

3rd in points behind the Sedins

2nd in goals

5th in assists

6th in games played, 12 back of Smyl

1st (tied with Tanti) in hat tricks

2nd in game winners

2nd in pp goals

Naslund had a great career, so I don't want to sound like I am diminishing it in any way, but maybe I am which is not my intention.  Naslund does meet some of the criteria, just like a few other players.  Kesler won a Selke trophy, was the best player at his position for a time and took us to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.  So, he meets some criteria just like Naslund.

What puts both Bure and Luongo over the top however and superior to Naslund is that they are both in the HHOF and they both took their teams to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.  So Luongo is on par with Bure and ahead of Naslund, but Naslund gets the jersey retired not Luongo.  Heck, no one is even going to wear #1 again as it's not a popular number for most goalies these days.  

But in any event, it's a moot point now and what's done is done.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Didn't Pavel Bure ask for a trade?

I said in a follow up that I never like the Bure retirement either due to the same reason. 

Great achievement and off ice intangibles gets retirement. Miss anyone of the two lands a player in the RoH in my books. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Pears said:

He didn’t “bail” because things got tough, not sure how or why you came to that conclusion. 

He wanted out because he got disrespected big time by Torts by being sat for Lack for the Heritage Classic. 

Think you probed my point. 

Bailed on the franchise cause of one bone headed coaching decision and strong armed us to trade him to Florida.

That says it all why he is in the ring rather than the rafters. 

Again agree to disagree. 

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

I love Captain Kirk, but Luongo is probably a legitimate top 10 goalie all-time, while McLean doesn’t even crack the top 50. 

The Sabres have 6 players’ number retired, with zero Cups.

maybe its cuz I'm older, but I bet I can easily name 20 goalies better that Luongo

Maybe retiring too many numbers without winning a cup is a curse for both the Sabres and Canucks

they may be out entry cousins, but they are not a franchise the Canucks should be looking to for validation

Plante

Dryden

Worsley

Esposito

Vachon

Cheevers

Parent

B Smith

Fuhr

Durnan

Thompson

Hainsworth