The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

5 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

God this team and fan base sucks at managing assets. You don’t keep a guy you can get value out of when your bottom 5 of the league.

especially when his agent says he’d resign there in the summer

Maybe, since the club likes what Schenn brings, they are taking into account his home situation (very pregnant wife) and will keep him? Looks pretty crappy to the other players if we move Schenn in this circumstance, no? 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe, since the club likes what Schenn brings, they are taking into account his home situation (very pregnant wife) and will keep him? Looks pretty crappy to the other players if we move Schenn in this circumstance, no? 

I think this whole situation is being overstated. Schenn is a vet in the affairs of the hockey world. He already has 2 children with a 3rd on the way. He has family in BC and his wife could stay and have her baby with her existing doctor and support. At the time of delivery his hockey team could send him home. IMHO there is no reason not to move Luke. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s a business and these guys are making a million bucks a year. 

If your not doing what’s best for the teams future then your not really running a business

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

It’s a business and these guys are making a million bucks a year. 

If your not doing what’s best for the teams future then your not really running a business

But maybe what’s best for the team’s future is keeping Schenn here? 

10 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I agree. He wants to be here. Show some class. Give the guy a 2 year deal at a fair price. He's worth it. 

Like you said, unless it's an offer you can't refuse, forget about it. 

10 hours ago, Provost said:

I think we extend Schenn unless there is a place he is ok going to and they are ok with him staying him with his family a couple of weeks.

Doing something classy like not moving a guy when his wife is about to give birth could pay dividends greater than a pick.  We need to rehab our reputation amongst players as a lot of guys left with a bad taste in their mouths about the team after the last few years and hockey is a small community.

The return would have to be something you can’t really turn down to make the move right now to me.

The more picks the merrier...

However if we do re-sign him, which I'm not against.. what do we think the contract looks like?

2x4M? 3x5M?

What is Schenn going to take?

• Like 1
  • Wat 2

6 minutes ago, Maginator said:

However if we do re-sign him, which I'm not against.. what do we think the contract looks like?

2x4M? 3x5M?

Don't get me wrong... I love Schenn, and I hope he's back (after a trade) but there's no way we should be signing him for more than a $2m AAV. He either comes at a "discount", or we look elsewhere.

1x$2m or 2x$1.5-$1.8.

As well as he's played up the lineup, how much leadership he brings etc, he's realistically a bottom pair D on a good team and isn't getting any younger (we need to pay him with age related decline in mind). Bottom pair D aren't hard to find or expensive to acquire.

Just because we suck and have been playing him higher than that, doesn't mean we should be paying him like that.

• Cheers 2

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Reaction to some of the canucks fanbase at understanding the need to manage assets. I have heard a lot on here that He's a great guy, he has a baby on the way, let's keep him! Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Seems some never learn. We aren't here to keep players around because they are nice and have a family. You should Tina team with a mindset like that. Love the guy and player but it's the stage th is team is at. They can't keep him. It would be stupid. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Maginator said:

2x4M? 3x5M?

If he wants to be here, it is a $1.5 million AAV on a 2-3 year deal.  That is a huge raise and still provides us value if we can move him down to the 3rd pairing where he belongs.

That is the give and take for keeping him in a situation that is working for him and the team.

If he won’t sign an extension at that rate before the deadline, then being traded is on him and not the organization.

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Don't get me wrong... I love Schenn, and I hope he's back (after a trade) but there's no way we should be signing him for more than a $2m AAV. He either comes at a "discount", or we look elsewhere.

1x$2m or 2x$1.5-$1.8.

As well as he's played up the lineup, how much leadership he brings etc, he's realistically a bottom pair D on a good team and isn't getting any younger (we need to pay him with age related decline in mind). Bottom pair D aren't hard to find or expensive to acquire.

Just because we suck and have been playing him higher than that, doesn't mean we should be paying him like that.

Yeah, you don't pay him as anything more than a a 5-6D. That's what he is at best, his playing anything more than that simply speaks to how trash our D is.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Reaction to some of the canucks fanbase at understanding the need to manage assets. I have heat a lot on here sat He's a great guy, he has a baby on the way, let's keep him! Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Seems some never learn. We aren't here to keep players around because they are nice and have a family. You should Tina team with a mindset like that. Love the guy and player but it's the stage th is team is at. They can't keep him. It would be stupid. 

No… everyone has said that if you get enough of a return you move him.  A 3rd or 4th round pick doesn’t give more value than re-signing him at a cheap contract and could make it worth keeping him.

Not having him in the lineup and playing kids the rest of the way out has a cost too.  They will be subjected to a ton more abuse as there won’t be anyone left to stand up for them or with enough respect in the league to just tell opposing players to cool it “or else”.

26 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Reaction to some of the canucks fanbase at understanding the need to manage assets. I have heat a lot on here sat He's a great guy, he has a baby on the way, let's keep him! Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Seems some never learn. We aren't here to keep players around because they are nice and have a family. You should Tina team with a mindset like that. Love the guy and player but it's the stage th is team is at. They can't keep him. It would be stupid. 

All relative to the situation:

If we score a second or a third, then yes trade him. That’s a no brainer.  A 4th and lower is not worth our time. 

If he is willing to extend for a reasonable deal at 2M x 2 years then keep him. The guy is our team leader in hits, a Stanley Cup champ and leader on the team. He is also our toughest guy on the team that can fight. We suffer in the RHD department, sadly enough, he is our best RHD. 

You can’t fill out the team with ELC’s. We have to fill out the roster. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Seeing what Ben Chariot got last trade deadline, I wouldn't be surprised closer to the deadline, that Schenn's value increases a little bit. 

Chariot garnered a 1st, 4th, and Ty Similanac (2nd round pick) from Florida.

I'm not saying Schenn is near the same level of Chariot, because he is 3 years older than him. But numbers wise, Chariot had 18 points before being dealt and played a complementary role to key dman for the Habs like Weber and Petry, allowing them to succeed. Schenn does the exact same role, proven cup winner, RHD, and 1 point away from a career high of 22 points. Maybe the management is holding out for a much higher return, I would be just happy with a mid round pick, but seeing that bigger returns from the past have garner for similar archetype dman, wouldn't be surprised that the asking is even higher than the mid round pick. 

Other comparable deals made in past TDL's for Stay at home dman (2nd to 3rd pairing guys) in the last 3 seasons.

1) Canucks traded Hamonic to Ottawa for a 3rd round pick

2) Anaheim traded Josh Manson for Drew Helleson (2nd round pick) and a 2nd round pick 

3) Arizona traded Ilya Lybushkin and Ryan Dzingel for Nick Ritchie and a 2nd round pick.

4) Washington traded Jonas Siegenthaler to NJ for a 3rd round pick.

5) Montreal traded Marco Scandella to St Louis for a 2nd and a 4th round pick

6) Anaheim traded Eric Gudbranson to Pittsburgh for a 5th round pick.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Provost said:

No… everyone has said that if you get enough of a return you move him.  A 3rd or 4th round pick doesn’t give more value than re-signing him at a cheap contract and could make it worth keeping him.

Not having him in the lineup and playing kids the rest of the way out has a cost too.  They will be subjected to a ton more abuse as there won’t be anyone left to stand up for them or with enough respect in the league to just tell opposing players to cool it “or else”.

Not sure why you would conclude that? Schenn will be 34 this November. The current roster has Meyers and OEL and probably will again this fall unless a miracle happens. Luke Schenn fits as a 7/8 on a 1 year deal at near minimum. Some on here want to sign him a multi year deals? Seriously can't see that? A 3rd or 4th rdr is a absolute no brainer. Canucks are a rebuilding team and TOI is required to develop young d-men. Hoping that Livingstone and maybe Truscott come next fall. With a strong Calder run Abby could have 2-3 possible defensemen available. Not saying to not resign Schenn but it is not critical. 

11 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

I agree. He wants to be here. Show some class. Give the guy a 2 year deal at a fair price. He's worth it. 

Like you said, unless it's an offer you can't refuse, forget about it. 

Plus give him the C for 2 years. Let Petey work up to it slowly and learn off of him. He seems hesitant to take the C right now. Let Schenn have it for now.

I always think back to Luongo when he took the C. It was a major distraction for him and he even admitted when he gave it up to Sedin he was just able to focus on his game again.

I feel like the same may happen to Petey. He’s gonna sign here long term. There is no reason to rush a C on his chest while we rebuild/retool over the next 2 years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Seeing what Ben Chariot got last trade deadline, I wouldn't be surprised closer to the deadline, that Schenn's value increases a little bit. 

Chariot garnered a 1st, 4th, and Ty Similanac (2nd round pick) from Florida.

I'm not saying Schenn is near the same level of Chariot, because he is 3 years older than him. But numbers wise, Chariot had 18 points before being dealt and played a complementary role to key dman for the Habs like Weber and Petry, allowing them to succeed. Schenn does the exact same role, proven cup winner, RHD, and 1 point away from a career high of 22 points. Maybe the management is holding out for a much higher return, I would be just happy with a mid round pick, but seeing that bigger returns from the past have garner for similar archetype dman, wouldn't be surprised that the asking is even higher than the mid round pick. 

Other comparable deals made in past TDL's for Stay at home dman (2nd to 3rd pairing guys) in the last 3 seasons.

1) Canucks traded Hamonic to Ottawa for a 3rd round pick

2) Anaheim traded Josh Manson for Drew Helleson (2nd round pick) and a 2nd round pick 

3) Arizona traded Ilya Lybushkin and Ryan Dzingel for Nick Ritchie and a 2nd round pick.

4) Washington traded Jonas Siegenthaler to NJ for a 3rd round pick.

5) Montreal traded Marco Scandella to St Louis for a 2nd and a 4th round pick

6) Anaheim traded Eric Gudbranson to Pittsburgh for a 5th round pick.

I think a 2nd and a B level prospect isn't out of the question. 

Right shot, defensive D man Erik Johnson is out indefinitely. Of course Schenn is not the same caliber as Johnson, but he would provide a similar strong, stable veteran presence on the backend.

I wonder if this make the Avalanche consider him as a replacement? 

https://www.nhl.com/news/avalanche-erik-johnson-out-with-broken-ankle/c-341281798

I just took a peek and the Avalanche don’t have many picks in the next two drafts though (no 2nd or 3rd in 2023 or 2024) so I think they would have to offer us a decent prospect for Schenn.

Edited by YearoftheNuck
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Right shot, defensive D man Erik Johnson is out indefinitely. Of course Schenn is not the same caliber as Johnson, but he would provide a similar strong, stable veteran presence on the backend.

https://www.nhl.com/news/avalanche-erik-johnson-out-with-broken-ankle/c-341281798

I just took a peek and the Avalanche don’t have many picks in the next two drafts though (no 2nd or 3rd in 2023 or 2024) so I think they would have to offer us a decent prospect for Schenn.

To Colorado

Schenn

3rd

To Vancouver

Newhook

5th 

Edited by canucklehead44
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Schenn and Rathbone for their 1st.  Sign Schenn and E Johnson in the offseason.

• Haha 2