The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OEL has now sunk into the top 10 worst +/- players in the entire National Hockey League out of all 869 players.

Rate this topic

RU SERIOUS

I think the problem with OEL and a lot of times with Hughes is that they do not possess the proper partners. They also do pretty much the same job on the team so they are fighting for the exact same ice time. Throw in similar players in Meyers and Bear and that causes the obvious problems we are seeing. 

OEL performed much better when Hughes was injured and I would like some of the stats guru's to analyze OEL's stats in this time frame compared to after that. 

Put all of these guys in a position to succeed and I can see them all do well in the right environment, including OEL. Trades need to happen to balance this mess out.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

I think the problem with OEL and a lot of times with Hughes is that they do not possess the proper partners. They also do pretty much the same job on the team so they are fighting for the exact same ice time. Throw in similar players in Meyers and Bear and that causes the obvious problems we are seeing. 

OEL performed much better when Hughes was injured and I would like some of the stats guru's to analyze OEL's stats in this time frame compared to after that. 

Put all of these guys in a position to succeed and I can see them all do well in the right environment, including OEL. Trades need to happen to balance this mess out.

You are not wrong. Pretty much all of our d men are what you would categorize as offensive D man. 

This team is obsessed with them to the deterange if knowing they still need defensive D man to make the whole thing work. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

So Canucks are paying 7+ million in cap hit so he can succeed in certain situations and paintings?

Considering how much he is getting paid and he was being sold (by Benning) as a top pairing dman OEL should be able to do well in all situations

This argument can be used by dmen earning 2, 3, or even 4 million but not 7. 

• There it is 1

• RU SERIOUS changed the title to OEL now the worst +/- defenseman on the team / 18th worst player in the Entire NHL out of all 855 players.

After being on the ice for 5 of Seattles' Goals tonight, OEL is inching very close to being TOP 10 WORST in The Entire National Hockey League.  He needs just three more screw-ups to make that prestigious list - which he will undoubtedly make as his performance continuous to plummet by the day.

• Wat 1
  • There it is 1

I tried quitting this forum but felt the need to come back to remark on how exceptionally awful OEL is. No speed, no heart, awful decision-making. Doesn't seem like he even cares. What an absolute freaking calamity this situation is. Either we're stuck with watching him until 2027 or stuck with paying him until 2031. How anyone thought this trade was a good idea at the time or even now (!!) is beyond me.

And don't even get me started on the Kuzmenko signing. What a total brainless idiotic move that was. Unload him for assets, use the cap space to address bigger holes in the lineup. How much more obvious can it get? And this is AFTER you signed Miller as a center and found out (before the contract even started) that he's probably a winger. Like...WHAT?!?!?

We have a bunch of incompetents running this team. I can't even watch anymore. Last post here. So many better things to do than to follow this circus. Honestly - good luck to you all. I'm a Canucks fan through and through - I love this team, I hope they succeed, and I hope they work their way back to respectability at some point. But for now, watching it devolve into fiasco has become too hard. Cheers all.

• RoughGame 1
  • There it is 1

On 1/26/2023 at 2:20 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

After being on the ice for 5 of Seattles' Goals tonight, OEL is inching very close to being TOP 10 WORST in The Entire National Hockey League.  He needs just three more screw-ups to make that prestigious list - which he will undoubtedly make as his performance continuous to plummet by the day.

Yup.  OEL needs a partner to carry him.  

But how is Miller’s plus/minus now?  

His contract is a HUGE negative but he is an offensive dman being asked to play the toughest d mins. Mgmt needs to acquire some stable d men, get rid of Myers and put OEL in a position to succeed offensively. No chance of trading him so he should be 3rd LD with a strong defensive partner with 2nd unit PP time. That hopefully means softer mins and additional offense

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2023 at 5:07 PM, iinatcc said:

So Canucks are paying 7+ million in cap hit so he can succeed in certain situations and paintings?

Considering how much he is getting paid and he was being sold (by Benning) as a top pairing dman OEL should be able to do well in all situations

Hughes is our go to guy on the PP and pretty much has the most ice time for dmen night in night out. Who is going to suffer directly because they are no longer that guy on the team?

They are not going to "SHARE" the #1 D position so someone's numbers are going to suffer. Also maybe he is a little miffed that the young guy is bumping him but he is the veteran guy, who knows. We know the #2 PP guy gets very little ice time on the PP most nights.

Then you have Myers and Bear who could arguably be the #2 offensive guy on the team, which therefore causes a traffic jam at these positions. 

Then we try to put them all on the same pairings, what a disaster! 

That is why I have suggested before that these guys might play fine if they were put in the right positions to succeed. The way its set up now? I am not surprised our defense is messed up. 

I see Tocchet is making the ice time more even with the defenseman, so things might change, we shall see. Making moves will obviously help out as well. Myers and OEL would be the obvious ones to move out.

1 hour ago, MattWN. said:

It's hard to even imagine just how bad he's going to be at the end of his contract in 5 years. 

As many players do during their contract ending year is they out perform their previous years of bad play and get resigned ..

Edler for example.

image.jpeg.a163a6fe3bde7cae8db7e5357e762a43.jpeg

I don't think management should buyout any players on this team for at least two years. Jim Benning handcuffed us on the OEL trade. We could of just kept the 3 bad contracts that went to Arizona rode it out for one year. If we buyout OEL will have dead cap for 8 years that's unacceptable.  Our next competitive window is probably 3-4 years away if we draft well in the year or two. Tocchet needs to work with OEL to get the most out of him whatever that is. Keep his morale up. 

1 hour ago, High and Inside said:

I don't think management should buyout any players on this team for at least two years. Jim Benning handcuffed us on the OEL trade. We could of just kept the 3 bad contracts that went to Arizona rode it out for one year. If we buyout OEL will have dead cap for 8 years that's unacceptable.  Our next competitive window is probably 3-4 years away if we draft well in the year or two. Tocchet needs to work with OEL to get the most out of him whatever that is. Keep his morale up. 

I hope they can make it work.  For whatever reason sometimes it doesn't.  Scotty Bowman ran Paul Coffey out of town every time he joined a team with him.

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I hope they can make it work.  For whatever reason sometimes it doesn't.  Scotty Bowman ran Paul Coffey out of town every time he joined a team with him.

Scotty Bowman was by & large disliked by the players under him to my knowledge.  They put up with him because they knew he was a great coach.  Larry Robinson was a great coach as well but he disliked coming down on players (as you had to do from time to time); reason why 'Big Bird' preferred being an assistant coach.

On 1/19/2023 at 5:07 PM, iinatcc said:

Fans just making excuses for an overpaid d man.  Imo, OEL right now, is earning his reputation as one of the worst d man, in the league.  The FO knew of his relationship with Tocchet in Arizona and they still hired him.  Really interested to see how it will turn out between the two and if Gonchar & Foote can make any difference ?  

Edited by ShawnAntoski

How about instead of whining about how bad he is. You try an work out a practical solution to him?

Oh wait he has a no movement clause. So you can't even send him to Abby.

It's too late to reverse the trade.

I'm open to any solutions you might have?

(P.S. we're pretty much stuck with him. )