The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

I am guilty of being too optimistic of our moves in the past. This trade will be graded in two, theee years. Remember the fuss when Schneider got traded for the pick to get Bo? How did that turn out? How about JR waiting to long and Bo gets hurt? Imagine that? Do we know the other potential offers? I mean the real offers not the Xbox ones. Betting the Isles will get a bump and finish well so possibly a top five and fifteen to twenties pick in a draft where some good dmen are projected to be. Some of the returns bounced around here were just stupid really and this is a fair trade. 

I am high on the trade, but you made good sense to me. What exactly could each of these armchair GM's have gotten for a guy who is under contract for another 12- days? 

Maybe Bo walks away from The Islanders and we fleeced them, maybe Bo takes way too much cap space there relative to his value and stymies their cap for 8 years...way too early to declare the trade one way or the other: but we sold a guy who was never gonna sign here in a few months time and turned him into an A pick and A prospect and Anthony Beauvillier. 

I Dont see this return as anywhere near a losing trade, and time will tell how balanced and/or how much upside we got out of the deal. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Now I am really confused. If you take on bad contracts IN EXCHANGE for draft picks and prospects, that means you are giving them away. I think you mean trading a Canuck player in exchange for a bad contract AND picks and prospects?

Yeah.  Didn’t word it correctly.  Doesn’t necessarily have to involve a Canuck player.  It can be “future considerations” which is basically nothing.

Say trade with TO.

TO sends their version of a LE player on an albatross contract + draft picks (or prospect) to VAN for future considerations.

TO gets rid of a player they don’t want.  VAN gets a useless player and draft picks (or prospects).  So VAN is using their cap space to take on a bad contact and get draft picks (or prospects).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Anyone else find it weird that he's still going to be representing the Canucks at the All-Star Game?

I mean he's always been a Canuck and it kinda makes sense but its also kinda weird. But for he purposes of the game and everything makes sense.

Im sure the NHL isn't stoked on this being announced before the game...

SO if the draft lotto is actually rigged hope we didn't get tin the bad books... Oh wait we've always been there nvm

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He’ll go UFA.    almost guarantee it..  once he gets the numbers coming back he’ll want to return here for 7m per.

We’ll off load cap where we can and see if he’s available.

Would be the absolute biggest fleece in NHL history if Bo re-signs with us for 7.5M and we trade Miller elsewhere.

Even better if we trade Miller to NYI for Pulock and get Bo back lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Primal Optimist said:

I am high on the trade, but you made good sense to me. What exactly could each of these armchair GM's have gotten for a guy who is under contract for another 12- days? 

Maybe Bo walks away from The Islanders and we fleeced them, maybe Bo takes way too much cap space there relative to his value and stymies their cap for 8 years...way too early to declare the trade one way or the other: but we sold a guy who was never gonna sign here in a few months time and turned him into an A pick and A prospect and Anthony Beauvillier. 

I Dont see this return as anywhere near a losing trade, and time will tell how balanced and/or how much upside we got out of the deal. 

Well said, but to reasonable for most fans to absorb. Lol 

I was hoping we get more in return instead of Anthony Beauvillier 25yr old who is only an average of 15 goals and 35 point per season and Aatu Raty whom was picked 2nd overall 52nd that has only 7 goals in 2yrs with Islander's farm team!!! Only thing good is a first rounder coming back but what is protected mean? 

Not very happy with this trade for sure!! With so many teams interested I can't believe we couldn't get a better deal in return!!! 

• Haha 1