The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

11 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

People saying this is what Miller could of fetched.  Doubt it.  Especially with his age and new contract about to come into effect.  

Bo was a UFA having a career year.  What we got was surprisingly good.  

If this is the best return for Bo, imagine what the offers were for Miller last season, although he had one more season before ufa. 

I don’t think Miller was getting us 3 major pieces then and i don’t think he will get us that now. Well, unlesssomeone gets desperate and overpays?

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm on team tank, so I'm good with this deal.

Would I prefer that Canucks had signed Bo in the offseason and were trading Miller right now? Sure, but that isn't what happened.

As I see it, we got a player on a short term, a prospect with a lot of upside and a first round pick in a good draft. That's a pretty decent return for a pending FA whom everyone on the planet knew we had to trade.

As far as getting a RHD "Instead". why? Are we looking for a guy who will improve the team's defensively play right now? Not me. I want at least a shot at Bedard. This team is nowhere close to contending, so I see zero point in trying to acquire a defender to rescue this season. We've got draft capital now. We can use that and find a defender who will come into his own a few years down the road....

I still think this management team has sucked balls.....but I think this was as good as they could have done....and I'm down with it.

Agree, but I was hoping for a RHD PROSPECT..that could develop.

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

He’ll go UFA.    almost guarantee it..  once he gets the numbers coming back he’ll want to return here for 7m per.

We’ll off load cap where we can and see if he’s available.

Lou can give him 8 years.  But I feel for Horvat trying to get maximum value with Lou.  I doubt he gets an 8x8 deal with Lou.  If Barzal is at $9.15 million, then I can see Lou going in at 7x8, maybe max 7.5x8.  7.5 would make BO their #2 highest earner behind Barzal.

If he goes UFA maybe someone offers him 8x7 or 8.5x7.

The other thing to consider is that the Islanders play a tight defensive system.  So BO's numbers should go down for the rest of the year.  I doubt he hits 50 goals now.  Maybe 40-45 goals will be the max for him this year.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

What on earth... Hell no. We should be trying to get ANOTHER first not moving them lmao! Two picks in the top 15?? Yes please. Islanders issue is they are deep at C and really weak on the wing. All boesers. Well this trade doesn't help them outside of the PP. Look who they are chasing... This SHOULD be 12-15 pick. 

Then they will panic and lowball horvat so we can sign him back in the summer. We all win:P

The top 5 are all franchise players, after that it's a bit above average.  If they end up 7-8 and NYI end up 15ish, package them to get into the top 5 and get a franchise changer

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Shame they got rid of conditional picks for re-signing otherwise this should be another 1st or 2nd coming our way.

Always a risky game to play with rentals, as we found out with Toffoli. I really hope Bo just signs with a winner and honestly the Isles are a mess of a team. They lack a true star (until maaaybe now), their defence looks good on paper but is actually quite a mess but they have a good young goalie. Otherwise they're quite an old team playing fringe playoff hockey. I just don't see them busting into the playoffs to be honest.

It'd really hurt if Bo signs a long term deal with NYI before the season ends, they miss the playoffs and then they struggle to make the playoffs the next few years. Hope he keeps his wits about him and only signs with a winner at the end of the year.

The number he gets will be very interesting though...

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Aatu Ray,  R2-D2, don't know much about him. Nux missing a top center without Bo.  EP need to step it up next season, esp faceoffs.  

Beauvillier is a good player. 

A top 12 pick in a deep draft is good. 

Operation has just started. Hope the surgery is a successful one. 

It’s not a top 12 pick. It’s at best a top 13. At worst 32.  Or an unprotected pick next year. 

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

No he isn't. 

Raty is our best prospect now, without a doubt. Not to be harsh on Lek here, but he's not had a good year at all and if anything he has regressed in his development. 

Raty is an excellent prospect that has already got some time in the NHL and looks like he will be a player for years to come. Prototypical 2C type of player, smart, fast, excellent shot, defensively reliable, good on draws and he's got size too. He's your 200-foot centerman that has really good projections to be an impact player in the NHL. 

https://dobberprospects.com/player/aatu-raty/

I'm aware it's been a tough year but his pedigree is higher and he's younger, I'd still put him over Raty. 

Which isn't so say Raty's a bad prospect, I'd say he's a B or B+. 

Agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Amen.

I have asked before, but can anybody explain what is meant by weaponizing cap space. I honestly don't know. I mean, it sounds tough and decisive and all, but what IS it?

Amen again.

Amen the third.

And four Amens gets you a HALLELUJAH.

Weaponizing cap space is basically using unused cap space to get assets.

Only a few teams have both cap space and actual dollars in their budgets to spend to the cap and not get value for what they spend.  We are one of them.

The type of scenario is a contending team wants to beef up for the playoffs, but either can’t afford the cap hit for the player they want or have to dump a bad contract (ideally expiring at the end of the season) to fit the addition under the cap.

We can be the 3rd party in a deal like that to help make it happen in a few ways.

1.  The team sending the player can retain up to 50% of the cap.  They can trade that player to us, and then we retain another 50% in exchange for a high pick or really good prospect and trade the player to the contending team.  We get an asset for just using a couple million of our unused cap space.  Say it is a high end player like Tarasenko, St. Louis retains 50% to make him have a $3.75 million cap hit… we trade for him and retain another 50% and then trade him to the contender who gets a top end player for $1.875 million cap hit for the rest of the season.

2.  The contending dumps their bad contract on us for a high pick or prospect so they can afford to add another piece that will help them in their run.  If it is a contract expiring at the end of the season we have the space for it, and all it costs us is some cash.  Effectively buying a draft pick.

3.  The Erhoff/Marino/Bjorkstrand type of deal.  This is less “weaponizing” and more of a trade… but leveraging cap space to take on a good player a better team can’t afford for pennies on the dollar in terms of trade cost.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1

Alright, had some time with this now and like Raty (got a centre back at least!) but will see how he is with a better viewing. The first is good, but not great since it's protected. With Horvat needing to be re-signed still, I can see why the Isles would want that. Beauvillier is an extra, maybe a value version of Pearson but I don't know.

We don't replace Horvat's faceoffs, and what he brings on that end of things. It's going to be a sore spot when we didn't strengthen our defence with this trade and we haven't been great this year. And since we didn't add defence but rather another winger, we're probably keeping Miller at centre for now, and we might have more trades in the works (or hopefully at least inquiring about) for improving our back end.

That closes the door with Horvat the way this went down. I don't think the hopeful here will see him asking us what we'd offer come free agency. I haven't been the most impressed with management so far, even with things like the Kuzmenko deal. They have a chance now to make some changes so I hope to see progress. We have to do something other than stay where we've been while we have players like Pettersson and Hughes.

I don't know if I'd say it's even or that we win the deal, but that might be a bit of my attachment to Horvat and what he does for the team that no one else does keeping me from calling it fair at least.

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, rekker said:

C'mon? You think Bo wanted to stay here? Its a pretty high pick in a deep draft vs a high pick from a contending team. Pretty sure with the bump the Isles will get the pick will be this year. So possibly a top five pick and 15ish in a deep draft. Not bad 

Yeah, I do. 

He has a young family that integrated themselves into the Vancouver area. 

It’s not a ‘high’ pick. 

Horvat also is the highest goal scorer. Not to mention the team’s Captain, not to mention he’s been ‘here’ from the start. 

How can this organization do him so ‘dirty’?

It’s such a shit way of showing loyalty. 

What messages does it send to the rest of the team left behind? 

• Thanks 1
  • elephant 1