The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horvat was taken for granted here

Rate this topic

Dazzle

49 minutes ago, Darius said:

Do you think its possible that his bump in production this year is part of a natural progression instead of a lack of effort in previous years?  Look at the Sedins for example.  They became point per game players in their mid to late 20s - were they not trying before that?  Granted hes probably not a long term 40 goal 80 point player , but im thinking 35 goals -75 points isnt out of reach in light of how he has generally improved over time.

Also, does anyone know what Bo was offered by the Canucks?  Some proof of what he was actually offered on paper?  I agree the Isles overpaid, thats what happens when you give up your top prospect and a first rounder for a player on an expiring contract- Horvat's agent had all the leverage in the world to take Lou to the cleaners.  I find it hard to believe that Horvat was asking 8.5 to stay in vancouver.

I am not suggesting that he hasn't improved, but he looks a hell of a lot more motivated to score this year than he ever has.  He is on pace to destroy all of his personal bests.  After 9 years of slow steady growth.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

im not sure Deniro. If him and his agent thought they could get 9 they would have not signed Lou's deal.  Im thinking they were probably looking at 8x8 from vancouver or something close and Canucks wouldnt go above 7.5 ...just a guess.

But like you have said previously..whats done is done now...time to look forward.

To match what Lou gave them he would have needed to get 9.7 mil AAV in free agency. Wasn’t gonna happen, he got max dollars.

Don’t forget Lou had the advantage of offering that 8th year.

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

and??

10, 14, 15 for Bo..

or

Aatu before the season that he struggled...

At one point viewed as a consensus Top-3 pick and the No. 1 European prospect by NHL director of European Scouting, Goran Stubb

I know math is evil but i think, 3 or maybe even 1 is better to be projected as.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

To match what Lou gave them he would have needed to get 9.7 mil AAV in free agency. Wasn’t gonna happen, he got max dollars.

Don’t forget Lou had the advantage of offering that 8th year.

good point.  

but agree to disagree.  i think if Canucks offered 8 or something close he would have stayed.  Just pure speculation of course.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

10, 14, 15 for Bo..

or

Aatu before the season that he struggled...

At one point viewed as a consensus Top-3 pick and the No. 1 European prospect by NHL director of European Scouting, Goran Stubb

I know math is evil but i think, 3 or maybe even 1 is better to be projected as.

Pro scouts from all the teams didnt rank him high enough to take him in the first round, half the NHL passed on him in the second round... you think they didnt know to discount that season?   Facts is Horvat was considred a better prospect than Raty.

I have nothing against Raty, i hope he turns out to be a powerhouse for us.  But arguing that a guy taken in mid to late 2nd round was considered a better prospect than a guy taken top 10 is far fetched.  I know Bo is gone and some people want to minimize him but this is kinda unbelievable.

• Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Sorry but. :bigblush:

Bo Horvat, to your surprise.... has never scored 65 points in the NHL.

correct, 50 points doesnt equal 8.5 per year, does 60? 65?

lol...15-20g regular season Beauvillier retained at %50 for a playoff teams 1st rounder...no, you're right, I'm out of my mind.

Do you know who Barclay Goodrow & Blake Coleman are? here's something I magically dreamed up out of dreamland.

Blake Coleman was traded for Nolan Foote (1st 27oa) and an additional 1st round pick. 

Guess what? Coleman is a career 30-35pt guy, surprised?

Barclay Goodrow was traded with a 3rd round pick for a 1st rounder & warm body.

Guess what his points total over the last 4 seasons ( in my dreams of course) 26, 20, 33 & 23.

wtf are u talking about i'm talking about he has 65 total points in his career at 20 and wtf does his cap hit have to do with whether or not RATY IS GOING TO BE A BETTER PLAYER THAN BO? 

lmao 15-20g regular season beau? he has 12 goals last season lol.. team must be lining up to take pearson for 1st rounders next season

goodrow and coleman is not even the same as beau.. they can pot in 30points hit and block.. beau doesn't hit doesn't block isn't good defensively lol.. not even comparable other than points..

Sorry it's hard to understand when you clamed bo had 65 points, proven wrong then go do some math to cover for it.(your words)

Now a its diverted again, you said Beauvillier isnt worth a 1st rounder, showed you proof otherwise, now he is not the same type of player.

whats next for an excuse?

Enjoy & please take solace knowing Bo Horvat or that terrible contract will never again be a Vancouver Canuck.

• Wat 1

Absolutely agree, we always viewed him as a 2nd line center, last year we thought of him as our 3rd best under Petey and Miller. Even as our captain he never earned the recognition he deserved for putting up consistent 30 goal seasons and being good at the center role.

Now he moves to NYI and they basically build the team around him - he's on their top line playing with their best player in an offensive role.

Not ONCE did the Canucks play him with their best player, Pettersson. I always thought it'd be nice to put them on a line together but we never loaded up. Miller went all over the place, but this Canucks team was sadly never revolving around Bo - it was Petey's, then Miller's last year. Even having a huge year this year, he ran second fiddle to Petey. While that's justified, I think he was never respected as much as he is now. His offensive talents are plain to see but we never played him as an offensive center because of Petey.

Now he's getting his name chanted, he's playing the sniper role, I think we'll see him really flourish. For those who thought 8.5M was too much, just you watch - that's a bargain for a 27 year old top line center who is scoring at a 50 goal pace. This isn't just a contract year boost, this is a prime player entering his prime and has just worked himself out of a basement team's 2nd line onto a possible playoff team's first line. 

I know the trade had to be made and we got decent value for it, but credit to Lou for hunting a big name player, signing him and putting him in a position to succeed. This contract will look like a big win and bargain in a couple of years time. How it ages longer-term will up in the air (although personally I believe Horvat will age well and regress slowly into a 3C role gracefully unlike others...), but right now it's looking like a win-win trade all of a sudden, but I give the bigger win to the Islanders and Bo. Next year Bo is going to be one of the best players in the league again.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Dazzle said:

These couple of games have revealed something - fanbase and organization took him for granted.

Horvat gave his heart and soul to this city and team. And what did we do? We made all sorts of excuses to diminish his contributions. Worst of all, him getting 8.5 mill was him apparently "getting greedy"

Now NYI fans are cheering for him in a way that fans haven't done before, despite the number of jerseys.

Horvat has left us behind - and he isn't going to look back. Management and the fans here have let him down for the last time.

We talk about other people at fault (i.e. Benning), but we rarely talk about how we seriously screwed up.

We did Horvat dirty.

It is the typical Vancouver fanbase. Are you new here? Perhaps you have forgotten how cranky people got with the Sedins and wanted them to retire so we could have Cap. Fans on this board vilify anyone that might cost cap even though they are not paying. 

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

These couple of games have revealed something - fanbase and organization took him for granted.

Horvat gave his heart and soul to this city and team. And what did we do? We made all sorts of excuses to diminish his contributions. Worst of all, him getting 8.5 mill was him apparently "getting greedy"

Now NYI fans are cheering for him in a way that fans haven't done before, despite the number of jerseys.

Horvat has left us behind - and he isn't going to look back. Management and the fans here have let him down for the last time.

We talk about other people at fault (i.e. Benning), but we rarely talk about how we seriously screwed up.

We did Horvat dirty.

No we didn't.

Its your opinion and that is cool but.....

He was not taken for granted everyone from the fanbase to management praised him for his contributions and this year for how he has handled the added pressure if being in a contract year.

Horvat always played hard, he was recognized by the last leadership group as a player who could lead this team. He was not a leader who stood up for teammates and he was not a great defensive forward or puck distributor. He had a career season this year and he decided, not the organization that he wanted to cash in.

Bo Horvat was given offers based off the player he has been up to this point, he turned those offers down and the Canucks incrementally upped their number but weren't going to pay him 7.5m + per season. That just simply isn't his value and not his value here.

Islanders fans are more interactive then Canucks fans. More " fans " can also afford an Islanders ticket versus a Canucks ticket. Its great to see his name being chanted, that doesn't have to mean the way he was appreciated or cheered for here is lessened.

Horvat has left Vancouver behind. For all the fans that felt he was wronged or the team should have just made bank and signed him well......Horvat chose money, chose his pay day and he decided to leave the Canucks. He quit on this team and city for financial security. Not that he should be negatively judged for making that decision for his family and upcoming generations of Horvats. But make no mistake he decided to leave.

There is no big mistake or fault. The player was a pending unrestricted free agent and earned his right to choose financial security. I very much appreciate a team that can restrain themselves from vastly overpaying a player to think team first. Carolina does it all the time and they are annually contending.

Wish Horvat all the best, no big wrong happened here. But the notion of more negativity surrounding the team and how Bo is better to have moved on is nothing id expect less of lately with local fans and media ripping the team for every single thing. Lame.

• Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Such is life in sports.

WE didn't do him dirty.

YOU just need to stop being so emotionally attached to players.

Canucks fans never had a reason to cheer like that over the last 9 years. The only bright spot was the bubble with no home games and no crowd.

Wish Bo all the best, NEXT!

This. Bo got lots of love here and we didn't do him dirty. 

Sorry it didn't work out, but we never really had anything to cheer about during his time as captain besides the bubble run.

Trading him was just best for both parties. Team is now a few years away at the very least. Bo gets to play on a somewhat competitive team where his prime years aren't wasted and we get 2 young assets back 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Dazzle said:

We did Horvat dirty.

I do not think so.The team needed a trade and the Bo trade helped change this stale team.

Everyone cared and loved Bo but we needed to move in another direction.

Trade came at a bad time but had to be done.We did not do Bo dirty at all as that is part of the business to do right by the team.

• Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Nobody should kid themselves.  Bo wasn't traded to get a draft pick and a couple of players - Nor - was he traded due to cap restrictions.   His departure was very intentional and decide upon a long time ago and as I stated several times over the past year, I firmly believe the real reason he's gone is that the new management wanted to get new leadership to gut the team locker room of the complacency and "West Coast Country Club" atmosphere that this team has had for over a decade.    No other reason!

Once they get rid of the other floaters and freeloaders (and we all know who they are) thru trade, buyout or contract termination, we might start to see some tangible results.   Until more of the deadwood is removed - don't expect much change just because 1 player is gone!

Here's hoping JR, PA and The "Chipmunk Girls" have finally woken up and see what we've been forced to watch for the last decade and make the other additional changes that MUST BE MADE!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

A workmanlike, "not inspiring" but consistent captain who is still firmly in his prime, took crucial draws and chipped in offense?  I'd say that's a pretty good roster building block, compared with all the underachievers in our roster.  If we didn't make the blunders of acquiring Myers/ OEL and extending Miller (and having Boeser/ Garland's offense fall off a cliff) I would definitely have hoped that we could've re-signed him (yes, likely even ahead of Kuzmenko, who I would've been down to trade for futures, since we already have wingers to rehab value for and give major minutes).  

I’m not talking about any of our other players.  Nice straw man though.  
Also, I didn’t say he was bad at all.  
He is obviously good.  
I said he isn’t worth that contract, and he isn’t.  Not even close 

• RoughGame 1
  • elephant 1

This is why so many people stay in miserable marriages. They are too scared of change so they stick with the same old forever.

Bo needed to go. It wasn't working. He wasn't working. His time had come.

Anyone who can't understand this is either too emotionally attached to individuals, or too scared of change.

This team finally has a chance to reinvent itself and rebuild properly. We finally divorced from our captain. Horvat is now an ex Canuck. Stop worrying about it. Hit the gym, get on tinder and look forward to the future.

It is a lot more bright now than it was 2 weeks ago. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • RoughGame 1
  • elephant 1

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

I’m not talking about any of our other players.  Nice straw man though.  
Also, I didn’t say he was bad at all.  
He is obviously good.  
I said he isn’t worth that contract, and he isn’t.  Not even close 

I guess Bo wanted to be paid by the pound; elephants weigh a lot!

• Haha 1