The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Well this feels like our 2015 retool moment. I'll see you all in 2028 team tank when this tops off at a 2nd round exit.

Even if we wanted Hronek. This season is lost.  Why take the chance this tanks our draft position. Why not wait till the draft where Stevie Y is desperate to unload cap and we know exactly how much that isles 1st is.

Yes and we will still have management trying to win when it's not ready to. 

The other thing is that it's been rumoured, for awhile, that Detroit wanted to move his contract.  I thought the point of weaponizing cap space and taking on those contracts was to get picks and prospects back, not give them up

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So the full deal is:

Bo Horvat

2023 2nd round pick

for

Filip Hronek

Anthony Beauvillier

Aatu Raty

2023 4th round pick

If we were trading BO and our 2nd and we got that return back in one trade, would that not be a good trade?  I think it would be a home run.  Need to look at the bigger picture here...

Not a bad trade I'd say. Especially if you take into account Bo's new contract (8.5 million per).

Hronek and Beau equal out to about the same price as Bo next year and we fill in a top 4RHD role that we needed to. Losing the 2nd hurts, but Raty looks like an okay prospect and is only 20. 

Still not sold on the trade either way because I'm not familiar with Hronek's play. However, it could turn out okay for Van based on how a couple variables turn out. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Bingo. Hronek is just 25 years old right now. It's not like we traded for another OEL or anything.

Yeah, the guys that PA/JR are targeting are clearly the early to mid-20s guys.  Makes sense.

I think we know what they're trying to do now.  I don't expect a lot of draft picks happening any time soon. 

33 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Or they’re going to continue to be a dog-poo laughingstock and dumping grounds for bad contracts for another decade.  All those picks will be traded away for more picks in a few years and the cycle will continue until they’re playing home games as road hockey in a school parking.

Psst, that franchise is 2 points back :P

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Let's be honest this was always gonna happen. And not just coz its Canucks - which made it 100% certain - it's like were allergic to draft picks ... especially 2nds. 

There was no real way Management could rebuild the right side of the D in the next 3 years - Trades were really the only way and big ones to boot - we we'rent getting anything but bottom pair for any of our wingers and RHD especially are like gold to GM's right now. 

Not honestly convinced that Hronek is the right deal given the price and his profile - tho i haven't seen much of him play, i tried to youtube some highlights and the main footage was him getting destroyed by a massive hit which seems like par for the course for a Canucks D. :picard: 

Strange Detroid made the deal too eh ? Everyone seems pretty perplexed by the trade. Either Yzerman didn't like what he saw in the player and was selling high, or he felt the price was at market peak - The Chipmunks were desperate and he sold a bit high knowing they weren't really competing for a few more years given where his team is at in their rebuild and the arms race in the East.  Gotta hope its the later, which does make a bit of sense since he clearly has the luxury of not having an impatient child for an owner barking at him to short cut everything.  

Honestly, i can see them also trading our 1st post Lottery if it's not top 3 as we still need 2 solid D to actually look like this team can even make the playoffs. 

Definitely Yzerman won this trade no doubt about it!!! If we were going to trade our 1st and 2nd round picks, I am sure there are better top 4 D to choose from!!! 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

So the full deal is:

Bo Horvat

2023 2nd round pick

for

Filip Hronek

Anthony Beauvillier

Aatu Raty

2023 4th round pick

If we were trading BO and our 2nd and we got that return back in one trade, would that not be a good trade?  I think it would be a home run.  Need to look at the bigger picture here...

Just because we did really well with the Bo deal, doesn't mean we should forgive them immediately for this one. I support this group because I would be driven insane otherwise, but this isn't the move to make when you're sitting at 27th in the league. We're currently OVER the cap for 2023/24, which means more players need to go. I assume we're going to sign this guy to something in the ballpark of 8x6.5 over the summer, so what happens next? 

Beau - Petey - Kuz 

Mikheyev - Miller - Garland 

Hog/Pearson(?) - Lazar? - Boeser 

Joshua - Aman - Podz

Hughes - xxxx/Schenn?

OEL - Hronek 

Rathbone(?) - Myers

Someone needs to be dealt or bought out, because right now we cannot afford extensions to Bear or Kravtsov. 

10 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Also could've picked Brodeur instead of Antoski. Could you imagine?

That's the thing. We could've, should've, but that's true of every single team. 

Instead of Virtanen and McCann, we could've had Larkin, Pastrnak, Point, etc. 

I'm not knocking you, but it's insane how many people revert back to what would've been. 

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

For next season anyways...

Beauvillier + Hronek = $8,550,000

Horvat = $8,500,000

So $50k difference.  Much rather have Beauvillier and Hronek TBH.

I agree. Both trades are good. 

we know we got good value from Bo trade. However, we do not know exactly what we have up to get Hronek. So we can’t call it a win yet. 

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Seider had a bit of a sophomore slump first half of the season. Don’t know how’s he’s been during the 2nd half but seems better statistically. Hornet had a strong first half hence why he took over PP duties for a time and cooled off a bit during his 2nd half.

He's 27th in EV points, tied with D like Sergachev & Heiskanen, ahead of Chychurn & Seider.

I still think he'll help in alot of ways even if he's not go-to on the PP.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

possibly, but he's got good chemistry with Petey, so they might keep him.  At this point, a capped out team has added $5m to the books in a month.........that has to be considered when you lay it out as part of the Horvat deal.

Most likely there are other moves being made.  Boeser and Garland are probably in play.  Myers gets traded in the summer.  OEL trade, LTIR, buyout.  Lots of moving parts here.  Like Tocchet said, one bite at a time...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

18 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Sharks fans said the same thing about Ehrhoff.

That being said this management group needs to keep adding now if a short term retool is the way they’re going. They need to add at least two more top 6 D, dump Myers and buyout OEL.

Sure, it's possible he could take a step forward with us.

With Ehrhoff it was a cheap add. This time it's the opposite.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

For next season anyways...

Beauvillier + Hronek = $8,550,000

Horvat = $8,500,000

So $50k difference.  Much rather have Beauvillier and Hronek TBH.

they traded Horvat at $5.5 and retained $1.4m.  It doesn't matter what he gets next year.  

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Honestly, BO for Hronek straight up would have been a home run.  Adding Beau and Raty and a 4th for a 2nd is a grand slam...

I kinda agree.  Have people forgotten how expensive young top 4 RHD are?  They're the most sought after player type in the entire NHL.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1