The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Except it is one more year, not two and our team is almost certainly going to be terrible that year.

I guess this is like “pretty much a 1st round pick” not really being a first round pick?

Presumably we extend him in the summer for big dollars and completely nerf any trade value he would

have.  Imagine a return we could have gotten for Miller if he didn’t have an extension signed?  Isn’t it a bad sign when players lose value the moment you sign a deal with them?   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except it is one more year, not two and our team is almost certainly going to be terrible that year.

I guess this is like “pretty much a 1st round pick” not really being a first round pick?

Presumably we extend him in the summer for big dollars and completely nerf any trade value he would

have.  Imagine a return we could have gotten for Miller if he didn’t have an extension signed?  Isn’t it a bad sign when players lose value the moment you sign a deal with them?   

There is very little cost control here. Hronek not going to accept his QO unless he takes a big step back next year, which is the opposite of what we want.

It's nice we don't lose his rights as a UFA but that's about it. 

Keith Ballard, Erik Gudbranson, OEL all over again… I like Hronek, I hate this franchise. Overpay for assets, and trade capitol that could net long term cost control. Until this group commits to a full rebuild, I don’t see it changing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Keith Ballard, Erik Gudbranson, OEL all over again… I like Hronek, I hate this franchise. Overpay for assets, and trade capitol that could net long term cost control. Until this group commits to a full rebuild, I don’t see it changing

He looks to be an excellent right side dman. You can argue the timing and cost of acquisition, but already comparing him to those duds before he suits up is dumb.

Edited by rekker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, 70seven said:

You need to find a better franchise then and stick with it?

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Judging by the other moves by Detroit today, it looks like they are in a pick accumulation phase again. They traded more players and then signed Alex Chassion. Which indicates to me that Yzerman wasn't just flipping Hronick because of concussion problems 

I think the trade of Bertuzzi tells us that Yzerman doesn't see his core as one that can be anything more than a bubble team, so he re-signed his one untouchable and then put up the "Yard Sale" sign....

1 hour ago, rekker said:

He looks to be an excellent right side dman. You can argue the timing and cost of acquisition, but already comparing him to those duds before he suits up is dumb.

Ballard & Gudbranson both looked and played  top 4 minutes being dealt to us.

1 hour ago, 70seven said:

31 other teams to choose from. :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Don’t dislike Hronek. Hate that we no longer have two first round picks and no second round pick this year. Haaaaaaaaaate it. 

We’ve seen what those gaps in draft years equals and what trying to acquire reclamation projects turn into. 

Kravstov shows promise but even with him panning out the depth of our prospect pool is not good.

Hopefully they can have some success in the NCAA free agent pool. That could really help counter some of these losses.

5 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Don’t dislike Hronek. Hate that we no longer have two first round picks and no second round pick this year. Haaaaaaaaaate it. 

I am upset we lost the 2nd. At least VAN still has the high 1st, but losing that 2nd sucks. Maybe Allvin can trade his 25 4th rounders for another 2nd.

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Almost like, there is actually a plan.

well Hroneck is a true top pairing D man, I think we were lucky to get him actually, and I am surprised DET even made him available, DET got worse, Larkin won't be at this level by the time this years picks get good 

I am very very surprised Hroneck was moved 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3