The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

My initial reaction was that I don't like this trade. Hronek is a good young RHD and probably close to worth that 1st and 2nd rd pick that the Canucks gave up in return, but I just didn't see him as being a good fit with what Vancouver needs on defense. Hronek has always been a solid offensive d-man, but he seems to have really made some nice strides on his defensive game this season. I don't see this as a win now move but as long as the Canucks re-sign Hronek, I see it as a move to find and lock in a key contributor to what they're building towards starting in the next 2 to 3 seasons.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

I haven't seen him enough to say, curious how he will work with what Tocchett is trying to do.

Maybe Hughes isn't the guy (although really, Hughes makes life easier for everyone he plays with), but maybe him & OEL then keep Hughes/Bear together.

Really getting another right side D then bumping Bear down to a 4/5 role would be ideal, then we'd be cooking.

I have kept tabs on him and read what Wings fans thought of him on their forums over during the first half of the season when he was playing great.

Wings fans had mixed feelings about him as a player. When they were bad he was especially bad. This year they were split evenly in those who hated him and those who thought he was good on a good team. They both had consensus about him being good with stable partners(but that the stable guys should be with a struggling Seider at the time) hence where I got that. 

He’s a player that might split hairs here but if with the right partner can probably make a good 2nd pairing. 

2 hours ago, MattWN. said:

Honestly would rather have the picks right now. 

On top of that, he’s hurt. This trade has the danger of becoming a Jim Benning trade like when he acquired Ferland and Baertschi - two guys that brought their health problems with them. If the NYI pick ends up at 13 or 14, there is a great RHD prospect sitting right there in this draft, Alex Pellikka, who won’t cost us 6 mil plus after next year.

Sure hope this guy’s injury is not lingering, and especially not a concussion, and I also hope we have cleared the required cap space when it comes to re-signing him year after next. 

Other than that, he looks like a good player, brings a lot of offence (though more than half hi# points are on the pp) since Hughes has first D spot on the pp, expect Hronek’s pp production to largely disappear - unless we decide to include two D on the first unit. Looks like Filipino is a better shooter than Hughes. Though we have partly overcome the lack of a shot from the blue line by rotating Pettersson into the high middle near the blue line to take that 103 mph slap-shot.

• Like 1

Just now, Quinn Huges said:

Exactly!! Or at least wait until we know the draft order.

there is no reason or need to make this trade now

Yeah, a part of me doesn't understand why there was a rush to make this trade. 

If the Islanders make the postseason, it's almost a good bet that they'll defer their 1st to 2023, and on top of it, we gave away our 2nd in a deep draft as well. 

Do all GM's operate like this, where they seemingly give away draft picks like candy, or is it only the GM's that the Canucks tend to hire, especially the last few years. 

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The cap is going up roughly 4 million next season and even more the season after that.

Also it did go up from the time those contracts were signed by 8.5 mil.

Again sit this one out. :lol:

That depends if the Escrow debt is repaid.  If not, then the cap only goes up by $1M next season.

Per an article on NHL.com

If the escrow debt is not repaid by the end of this season, the salary cap would rise $1 million next season and instead increase significantly for the 2024-25 season, when the debt would be fully paid off.

• Cheers 1

Just now, PistolPete13 said:

Fwiw My second favourite team is the Red Wings and I am not super happy about this trade.

Me too, and my friend is a Wings fan. Doesn't seem all that thrilled either. But we seen some celebration on Twitter, therefore the entire fanbase is super happy about it.

If I hear the brass complain about being cap crunched in the offseason and not being able to make moves I am going to lose my mind.

I really think they are misjudging the NHL market AGAIN!  Cap space is going to be incredibly valuable in the offseason.  There will be a lot of really decent players available for nothing, or even netting them assets to take on the money.

There was no need to make this move now and use up that cap before seeing what it could be worth.

So many teams are making “right now” decisions and will deal with the fallout after the playoffs.  Many of those contenders will be out in the first and second rounds and be needing to shed cap.  Many teams aren’t going to be able to qualify RFAs because they just don’t have space for possible arbitration awards.  

Us having a bunch of cap space would allow us to take on those players, and those would leave us with still having our high picks.

• Cheers 1

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Why? 

becausr the vast majority of draft picks don't work out.  Teams are built from a variety of sources, in a variety of ways.  You need your high picks, no question, which they have and have used in the past.  Using picks as currency is a long standing, long successful way to build a team, you just need to do it right.

100% refool move. 

We got  Myers replacement we got a guy that can cough up the puck and look lost in his own end. And it only cost a 1st and 2nd.who needs high level prospects clearly Not us because we have sooooooo many. Lol

improving by not improving - its the Vancouver way. 

Edited by combover

Just now, mordekai said:

Go look at nyr. They are contenders despite their pisspoor draft

Well, to be fair. They've had players that wanted to play there. Like Adam Fox and Panarin. 

They were luck to have won the lottery with Kakko and Lefreniere. 

They drafted a solid RHD in Schneider. 

They built to some degree through the draft. 

I'm not sold on this trade, but I'm willing to give it a chance as I admittedly don't know much about the player. But definitely skeptical, as it looks like we're once again trying to stitch a blueline together instead of taking the proper time to build a strong one  

That being said, I'd like someone to give me a firm kick in the ass if I ever start to sound as annoying as some of the pessimists here.