The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs part ways with GM Kyle Dubas

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm not a fan of Shanny after he left Detroit. But I don't think he did him dirty. I think Dubas and his agent sent mixed messages. Was the timing stupid? Yes. One minute Dubas is complaining about the toll the job on his family. Something Shanny in a meeting told him he understood. Then his agent starts making higher demands. Do you want a wishy-washy, not sure if he's committed to the job GM?

He did state he wanted to return as per Shanaplan right before he was let go. It didn’t seem too wishy washy to me. Dubas seems like he is a little too modest sometimes.

He was also his guy. I think Shanaplan should go too. 

11 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I think I'm the smartest guy on the site, but I lack the common sense to avoid insulting members who are completely ignoring me.

Fixed.  Get professional help; your obsession with me isn't healthy.  Take whatever meds you're prescribed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 5/19/2023 at 9:36 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Look on the bright side.

If Benning gets hired by Toronto, there might be a taker for OEL, and Myers....

image.jpeg.5f8763bbb51ab5b15d860cec99cbcd93.jpegThey’ll trade us Tyler AND Oliver and they just want draft picks in return?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bell said:

I thought the leafs were out of the media til september but they pull us back in 

Isn't it time TSN and Sportsnet start taking about the Matthew's amazing hangover cure, or favorite golf balls?

Playoffs have been over for a week now.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Could you imagine the level of panic Toronto fans would have if they hired Benning?

Shanny would be fired the next day.

Could you imagine the face of Dubas, knowing Benning took his job?????

If they hired Benning it would at least make the leaf media machine fun to watch

• Haha 2
  • Tanks a lot 1

The next GM will be a big ticket hire like they did with Babcock.

MLSE can’t help themselves but throw their money around on the most expensive management to show fans they wanna win.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Vintage 1

Is the panic in Toronto not like the panic in Vancouver, after the Nucks lost the finals?

Some times the journey to the cup does not require detours or massive changes, it just takes one more year.

Leafs had a good year, won a play off series for the first time/long time-it could be that they are finally on their way; but here come some massive changes.

Edited by Gurn
time for a new keyboard- spelling getting veri baaad

30 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Is the panic in Toronto not like the panic in Vancouver, after the Nucks lost the finals?

Some times the journey to the cup does not require detours or massive changes, it just takes one more year.

Leafs had a good year, one a play off series for the first time/long time-it could be that they are finally one their way; but here come some massive changes.

True.  But i remember the Sundin led teams that they were a lot more balanced.   And the early 90's teams too.   Their guys haven't figured out yet they have to be willing to go into the belly of the beast - that is the "core four", and not sure they can at this stage.   They expect the rest of the group to do so.   Sure they did ok with back checking.    But wow they sure don't seem to want to win as badly as either the Sundin and especially the Gilmour/Clark led teams did.   The only thing i'd give them is some bad luck with the first round.    Florida.   Beat them.   What makes them so special?

They have players willing to do whatever it takes maybe.   We did too.   Get what your saying, MG knee jerk reactions after losing to Boston weren't great ones. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

22 hours ago, rekker said:

Huge mistake. May have been Lou that tendered that? But it's handcuffed them. As well as the Murray contract this year. 

Signed in 2018 so that would have been KDs first offseason as GM. Wild that Lou was the GM of the Islanders (his first offseason in Long Island) - a team that went on to be much better without JT.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, IBatch said:

True.  But i remember the Sundin led teams that they were a lot more balanced.   And the early 90's teams too.   Their guys haven't figured out yet they have to be willing to go into the belly of the beast - that is the "core four", and not sure they can at this stage.   They expect the rest of the group to do so.   Sure they did ok with back checking.    But wow they sure don't seem to want to win as badly as either the Sundin and especially the Gilmour/Clark led teams did.   The only thing i'd give them is some bad luck with the first round.    Florida.   Beat them.   What makes them so special?

They have players willing to do whatever it takes maybe.   We did too.   Get what your saying, MG knee jerk reactions after losing to Boston weren't great ones. 

The Sundin teams were good but can’t compare to the Gilmour teams. I would say in the 1992-1993 and 1993-1994 seasons, Gilmour was a top 2-3 player in the entire NHL. Hitting almost 130 points and winning the Selke trophy. I think only Mario was better in 1992-93 and Fedorov in 1993-94. 

The fact we beat that team easily shows how good our 1994 team really was. People say that the 1994 team barely made the playoffs, but fail to understand we made a major trade that year just before the playoffs. Hedican, Brown and Lafayette were huge in the playoffs.  Linden also had an average regular season that year, but went into complete beast mode in the playoffs. He was like Kevin Stevens in his prime.  So even though we started out as an average team, by the time the playoffs rolled around we were a powerhouse. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Sundin teams were good but can’t compare to the Gilmour teams. I would say in the 1992-1993 and 1993-1994 seasons, Gilmour was a top 2-3 player in the entire NHL. Hitting almost 130 points and winning the Selke trophy. I think only Mario was better in 1992-93 and Fedorov in 1993-94. 

The fact we beat that team easily shows how good our 1994 team really was. People say that the 1994 team barely made the playoffs, but fail to understand we made a major trade that year just before the playoffs. Hedican, Brown and Lafayette were huge in the playoffs.  Linden also had an average regular season that year, but went into complete beast mode in the playoffs. He was like Kevin Stevens in his prime.  So even though we started out as an average team, by the time the playoffs rolled around we were a powerhouse. 

A powerhouse with a lot of depth and toughness.

• There it is 1