The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I told you all months ago that OEL would get bought out.  Nobody believed me except @Alflives  

Why do you think Allvin wasn’t worried about cap space?  I knew this was going to happen so we didn’t have to give up futures to dump salary.  

Yes at least that killed all the talk abouy cap space... 

good call @Elias Pettersson

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

If we sign Bear to one year around $1.8M,

that leaves us with $14M cap space after LTIR. 

No, let him go away.  He's out for 6 months and earliest we'll see him back is January, since he will need more time to catch up his conditioning.  If we offer him QO, it's cost us a lot more than if we let him go.  No guarantees.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You're...not answering the questions to statements you made though.  I don't care about OEL being on or not on the team.  i disagree with the buyout but you made some statements about all being well because X, Y and then Z would happen.

I am asking you to clarify those statements.

Please show me where in Brisebois' body of work he was as good, better than or worse than OEL in the NHL while in a Canucks uniform.

I am asking you very clearly to point out which assets we can trade that will return a top 4 defenceman.  Which prospects do we have that are ready to step up and move in to the NHL?  With our cap space how will we manage that when in 24/25 we have almost $5 million in dead cap and IF all of our prospects play and transition to a pro game; how will we keep them knowing they will all need significant increases above league minimum which they are getting paid now.

Like I said, the eye test, hence your need to see an optometrist. If you saw Brisboise play last season, he was better than OEL.

You’ve already mentioned some possibilities like Pods but I wouldn’t trade the 11OA. 

You’re still asking questions that involve way too many factors. You have this doomsday outlook. I don’t. Many reasons why. More ELC contracts can be added in the future, players will continue to be traded, Cap will go up, etc.

OEL’s buyout will be a 2% cut into our Cap and shouldn’t impact the team much other than those 2 years you mention. I’m those 2 years they’ll figure things out.

7 minutes ago, Texx said:

Dang, it'll be interesting to see who they either trade for or sign now, but I was sure hoping he would be back for one more season, and a Myers move was enough to bring in a cheaper center and d man. Thought Ekman Larsson would have looked better as a #4 dman.

I also thought moving Myers would provide enough flexibility, and that not giving OEL another chance might be a shortsighted, desperate move.

I also feel we have 1 too many top six capable wingers which will probably be used as trade bait to fill a vacant spot on the blueline. (Which will be an exasperated need when Myers is moved and especially if that's before Bear comes back).

We will see. I'll assume OEL will continue playing, so it'll be interesting to see if a bounceback year is in the cards for him. If so, this will look truly brutal.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I also thought moving Myers would provide enough flexibility, and that not giving OEL another chance might be a shortsighted, desperate move.

I also feel we have 1 too many top six capable wingers which will probably be used as trade bait to fill a vacant spot on the blueline. (Which will be an exasperated need when Myers is moved and especially if that's before Bear comes back).

We will see. I'll assume OEL will continue playing, so it'll be interesting to see if a bounceback year is in the cards for him. If so, this will look truly brutal.

I'm wondering if the market for any of Garland/Beau/Boeser is non-existent. That's why they figured they had to make a move without adding picks or prospects.

6 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

This buyout is more polarizing than I expected. 

The short term thinking ppl like it. The longer term thinking ppl hate it. But the argument is over 1 year. Nobody is arguing that OEL should have played out his deal. 

Nobody would have been surprised if they didn't buy him out this year. 

The buyout is actually somewhat worse next year and only actually saves 1 year of dead space. 
There was no good answer to OEL this may have been the least worst option. 
I will reserve judgement until I see how the rest of off-season goes and if we start making shortsighted moves. Good year to be aggressive in trade market with some cap flexibility. 

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Like I said, the eye test, hence your need to see an optometrist. If you saw Brisboise play last season, he was better than OEL.

You’ve already mentioned some possibilities like Pods but I wouldn’t trade the 11OA. 

You’re still asking questions that involve way too many factors. You have this doomsday outlook. I don’t. Many reasons why. More ELC contracts can be added in the future, players will continue to be traded, Cap will go up, etc.

OEL’s buyout will be a 2% cut into our Cap and shouldn’t impact the team much other than those 2 years you mention. I’m those 2 years they’ll figure things out.

R u expecting the cap to go up to 120 or so million?   That's 2%.   Sure next year not much...then a bit then a lot.   Think you need to check your math.    Most of the years it will be significant. 

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I was thinking next year instead 

But whatever floats your boat.

Anchors away!!

Ya it's interesting, at least playing him next year would have confirmed if OEL was truly done.

Ultimately, the grade on this move will come down to how they use the space. 

The extra space will relieve the pressure in trade talks with other teams...no longer at the cap ceiling so not as desperate as before. Other teams know that now.

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The Avalanche had a $6M Erik Johnson on the 3rd pair and won the Cup.  What they and other cup winners didn't have is dead cap on the books.

Most teams have overpaid (or bad ) contracts. What's unique about OEL is that it's still 4 more years, he's redundant, and there's no defensive prospect that can play in the Top 4 to shelter OEL. 

Also Johnson was like a +20 in his cup winning season. OEL was like -20