The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Alex DeBrincat to Red Wings for Dominik Kubalik, Donovan Sebrango, conditional 2024 1st-round pick, 2024 4th-round pick

Good deal for the sens.

Not overwhelming return but they were clearly backed into a corner.  Plus never really liked Debrincat, he reminds me of Taylor Hall, great individual skill but doesn’t not really make his line mates better nor help his team win.

so good for them to move on.

• Cheers 2

Dorion's biggest mistake is not making sure Debrincat will resign before trading for him and now letting the player dictate where he goes. 

Another American team benefits from 'I don't want to play for Canada' situation. I do credit Yzerman for not giving Debrincat the term he demands. The player had a down year and won't guaranteed to getting back to his 40-goal form. Detroit has all the cap space so commiting 4 years is not that bad. 

Yea Canadian teams will always get screwed over. I sometimes feel like their existence is to solely subsidize American teams. It's pretty sad. 

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How do you figure?

Traded a player who didn't want to be there anymore.

Got a conditional 1st, 4th rounder.

A 45 point forward, and a defensive prospect.

Was it a steal? No. Was it fair. Yes. It's a better deal than we got for Kesler.

Its Boston’s first so probably later than 24.

We got offered Theodore & Vatanen as well but took Sbisa 

Bonino > Kubalik. Bonino had more points than Kesler the season before and was younger and under contract for just $1.9M

Edited by canucklehead44

4 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Bonino > Kubalik. Bonino had more points than Kesler the season before and was younger and under contract for just $1.9M

Is that a reliable source? If Benning said no to Theodore then he's a bigger jackass than I thought.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Stevie Y bringing in a lot of pieces but how much will it move the needle compared to Bertuzzi and Hronek?

Top 6 seems a little small, too.

Definitely a big shakeup this off-season adding two top six, two bottom six, and 2 dmen.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

Seems like an underwhelming return. Is this prospect any good?

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So it's essentially all centered around Sebrango and the 1st?

Ottawa taking a big ol loss for that for sure because Korchinski looks like the far better LHD prospect than Sebrango  and Kubalik is like...I dunno a place holder at best

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Good deal for the sens.

Not overwhelming return but they were clearly backed into a corner. 

The Sens did not get a lot for a player of Debrincat's calibre, but something is better than nothing.

Kubalik is a middle-6 winger with a reasonable cap hit, but he is a UFA after this year.  And middle-6 wingers do not have a lot value in the current market, as Canucks fans know. 

Sebrango looks like a longshot to ever be an NHL regular. He is only 21, so it is early, but his performance in the AHL was underwhelming last year and he spent half the season in the ECHL.

So, basically, it is Debrincat for the lower of the Boston and Ottawa first round picks in 2024 and a 4th round pick.   If Debrincat returns to being a 40-goal scorer this trade will look good for Detroit. But overall, I see this a pretty close to a fair value trade.

16 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

So I guess signing a contract in this era means nothing in today’s NHL.

It’s pretty disgusting that this is becoming more common. 

In all fairness he never signed a contract with Ottawa 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Source?

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is that a reliable source? If Benning said no to Theodore then he's a bigger jackass than I thought.