The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers Give Kassian Permission To Seek Trade

Me_

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

from what I saw the personal side stuff is pure speculation by the media. It was Kass that asked to be moved, so that to me seems like he doesn't like his role on the team or maybe there's a locker room issue of some sort. 

If that’s the case, then why not bring him back?  Wouldn’t he be a better option on Bo’s wing than Loui?  

Just now, Alflives said:

If that’s the case, then why not bring him back?  Wouldn’t he be a better option on Bo’s wing than Loui?  

I'd start him with EP and Goldy. I still like Loui with Bo and Boeser. Yeah, I know, I'm alone on that :(

Red flags everywhere.  Given what we know about Kassian's off ice issues I wouldn't go anywhere near a trade to get him back.  I loved Kassian when he was here and I always hope he could turn it around, but he's got way too many personal issues and you don't want that sort of thing around a young crew of up and coming Canucks.  

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd start him with EP and Goldy. I still like Loui with Bo and Boeser. Yeah, I know, I'm alone on that :(

Loui played his best seasons as a passenger on skilled lines. I hope he can find chemistry there and figure his game out. I still like him as a player, he is just overpaid.

I really hope that he is not struggling with his demons once again because it is a very tough fight for anyone who has ever been through it. Getting sober is one thing, but staying there is another. That said, I would only take him back if it were a super low risk option. I cannot see him getting anything more than a 5th-6th or a depth player at this point. Hell I think even Hutty has more value than him at this point.  

2 hours ago, The Sedge said:

Red flags everywhere.  Given what we know about Kassian's off ice issues I wouldn't go anywhere near a trade to get him back.  I loved Kassian when he was here and I always hope he could turn it around, but he's got way too many personal issues and you don't want that sort of thing around a young crew of up and coming Canucks.  

Unless you have inside information, I think you are just speculating about personal issues. He has been through league-mandated rehab and so far seems to have put his substance abuse issues behind him. If he was back into substance abuse, and the league knew about it, he'd be gone from the league. If he was in any way "dirty" not a team in the league would even take a call from his agent. 

The real scoop on Kassian? He is not a very effective hockey player. Period.

Edit: last season Kassian put up 7 goals and 12 assists. Lucic put up 10 goals and 24 assists. So why aren't they telling Lucic to find a trade?

I think Jim Benning would have the inside of whats going on with Kassian...Jim's son plays on the team and would have some good information ..

I would use caution with Zack? He has good speed and can play a good role if his private life is okay..

Be interesting where he ends up..

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I think Jim Benning would have the inside of whats going on with Kassian...Jim's son plays on the team and would have some good information ..

I would use caution with Zack? He has good speed and can play a good role if his private life is okay..

Be interesting where he ends up..

Matt Benning is Jim's nephew.

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Unless you have inside information, I think you are just speculating about personal issues. He has been through league-mandated rehab and so far seems to have put his substance abuse issues behind him. If he was back into substance abuse, and the league knew about it, he'd be gone from the league. If he was in any way "dirty" not a team in the league would even take a call from his agent. 

The real scoop on Kassian? He is not a very effective hockey player. Period.

Edit: last season Kassian put up 7 goals and 12 assists. Lucic put up 10 goals and 24 assists. So why aren't they telling Lucic to find a trade?

I agree that there's no basis to assume Kassian has personal problems forcing this move.  I think it's more likely the case that he's a marginalized player getting less than 10 minutes a night, scratched at times, and probably feels he'd be better off in another situation.

But whether he's simply 'not effective' is debatable.  He's had the lowest ozone starts on the Oilers this year (2nd to Letestu last year).  2nd and 3rd among their forwards in hits - middling/respectable 'possession' numbers in context and certainly reasonable enough production in context.  Moreover, he had a very good playoff for them when they actually managed to make the playoffs.  Kassian's performance ought to be among the least of their concerns, surrounded by a team full of underachieving big tickets.

And Lucic is an odd 'comparable' wadr - a guy that has been playing with Draisaitl and McDavid - making 6 million - and in context that production you note is actually pretty horrible.

I'm not going to argue that this team should make a move to re-acquire him - I think the Cancuck bottom six is about as deep and good as it's been in a long time- but I also wouldn't object if the price were right - I'd welcome a return of Zack if it meant a guy like Gagner going the other way.   In the meantime while this team waits on RW like Lind, or heavier forwards like Gadjovich, I think Zack could be an interesting and effective addition.  He could allow them to move Virtanen up the lineup while having some size and speed on one of their shutdown lines, or he could be a hard areas, forechecking/backchecking presence for a guy like Pettersson who represents the threat of going postal if anyone else touches the young guy (LE has been "ok" on his wing, but Zack may actually fit better, with more speed, grit and intimidation factor).   They don't necessarily have room for him presently but if it came down to moving a Gagner, I'd do it in a heartbeat and if we run into more injuries, or people taking runs at Pettersson, Zack could be a good placeholder on his wing - one that doesn't hesitate to intimidate opponents, one that can skate and play a reasonable defensive role.....he's not a terrible option in some ways relative to Eriksson....

19 hours ago, Me_ said:

Gagner was never a locker room issue.

A guy who only plays well if he's on the power play. And getting offensive minutes?

Isn't putting his head down to win puck battles, or busting his ass to skate up ice and fore check??

To earn his time & help his line mates be productive, rather than just soak up their work???

Is still a locker room cancer. No matter how good his disposition and personality with the guys.   

17 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

He has the potential to be the perfect winger for Pettersson. Kass can pass, finish, lay the body, fight - he could be perfect. But unfortunately we have been there and done that. I was a supporter of him while he was here but he is far too inconsistent now. He can't make it on Edmonton; what does that say?

^ Same problem as Gagner. Aside from that he will stick up for guys.

I remember Archibald getting called up one game.  He's neither as big? Nor as fast. Certainly not as gifted with the puck. Kass did have skills. But I watched Archie 3 straight shifts skate past Kassian and plow into puck battles on the boards and in the corners.

While Kassian sat just outside the puck battle hoping the puck would pop out?

That play off run a Cpl years ago with the Oilers. It looked like Kass ''had got the message?'' He was doing exactly that; skating and fore checking, and hitting, and banging on the boards. I guess he assumed he only had to do it so long before they would give him shifts with Draisaitl, or McDavid.... 

Archived