The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 05, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Good point. These are games playoff teams get a point or sneak a win. Dumb OT mistake again but I am sure Travis Green will work on that. 

Points in 8straight games a good streak and st Louis might not be a main contender but they are still quality and a playoff team. Move onto the next one

Good to see huggy get a goal after coming back. 

Horvat line needs a little more something imo. Petey line is quality and getting most of the attention. We got a good 1punch but 2nd punch is lacking. Bottom 6 were solid for most part defensively and some chances going forward. 

Marky did good. We all know he is playing well with family stuff going on. His head might not be where it should be. Hopefully all is well though. 

6 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

It’s against the rules to purposefully take the net off of the moorings to negate a scoring chance, so you have completely contradicted yourself. 

It turns out the rule was changed for this season. It is now an automatic goal when a goalie takes the net off the moorings..   mike leggo rule 

that leaves Marky’s only hope being to come out and play the puck. He has time but was burned last time. 

he has been a rock this season and this game was far from his fault 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

https://www.facebook.com/StLouisBlues/videos/967983233617380/

3:40 their coach is saying some pretty nice stuff about our team, and players especially towards the end

All three guys complimented us in their own way which was nice to here.  No Doughty moments ha ha.  As an aside - still can’t believe their coach is the same Craig Berube that used to be one of the leagues most feared fighters for over a decade.   Probably one of the fastest punchers I’ve ever seen - and they were hard ones to boot.    Remember when Troy Crowder was making mince meat of the rest of the leagues tough guys  in 90-91, and Berube beat him - rarely lost at least decisively.   And went toe-toe trading shots with anyone (Titantic battles with Probert, Twist, Kimble etc) don’t think the refs would even try and step in when fights were like that (he’d grab on and let them fly so fast and so hard he’d literally start leaning, almost falling into his opponent in some of his fights).  

Have an old tuff-guys magazine ranking the enforcers, he lost a few spots because he was considered a loose cannon and would fight even if he thought he or a teammate was slighted when they were not (anger issues?).   Watching him and the blues win the cup last year I was happy for him - a total warrior when he played and still can’t believe it’s the same guy that played - that guy was a  total spaz and often very dirty. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Three things I learned this game.

1. If you have a good pk, clutch, hold, do whatever penalty you want. Kill the first five penalties and you'll get away with everything afterward. 

2. Virtanen is gonna be a beast in the playoffs.

3. Green is one hell of a stubborn coach. (k, kinda knew that one already)

Number one.  Everyone who’s watched hockey for a year or two should know that.  It’s why I feared for our guys so much - especially come playoff time - until JB went ahead and added guys like Beagle, Ferland, Myers, Benn, Pearson, Schaller, and Miller.   It’s also why Bear and Goldy aren’t on the team in favour of Leivo.   We can’t have too many small skilled guys without the supporting cast.

The 97-98 Detroit team with Shanny - used to pick one guy on the other team and deliberately run them and hit them until they were either injured or out of the series because they were too scared to play their game.  That was a mean team, but they certainly didn’t invent it (Shannys own admission - said that team would destroy the 2002 Detroit team  in a seven game series and that’s why).  

I liked this game because our guys need to get some in season training and learn to take some abuse.  Call the Sedins whatever you want but they were definitely tough when it came to taking it - and also used their sticks enough for other players to be a wary around them too (slashing penalties kept them from Lady Byng awards).  EP, BB and Hughes will all have to go through it too (being targets and drawing penalties to a certain point and still being targeted).

Don’t want to see any of our guys hurt, and definitely want Ferland back soon too.   The team pushed back tonight - it was a tough heavy game and we passed with flying colours.   Their goalie won the game for them.   Like your comment about JV, have seen that often on the forum, he’s built for the playoffs for sure...as are most of our forwards now.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Number one.  Everyone who’s watched hockey for a year or two should know that.  It’s why I feared for our guys so much - especially come playoff time - until JB went ahead and added guys like Beagle, Ferland, Myers, Benn, Pearson, Schaller, and Miller.   It’s also why Bear and Goldy aren’t on the team in favour of Leivo.   We can’t have too many small skilled guys without the supporting cast.

The 97-98 Detroit team with Shanny - used to pick one guy on the other team and deliberately run them and hit them until they were either injured or out of the series because they were too scared to play their game.  That was a mean team, but they certainly didn’t invent it (Shannys own admission - said that team would destroy the 2002 Detroit team  in a seven game series and that’s why).  

I liked this game because our guys need to get some in season training and learn to take some abuse.  Call the Sedins whatever you want but they were definitely tough when it came to taking it - and also used their sticks enough for other players to be a wary around them too (slashing penalties kept them from Lady Byng awards).  EP, BB and Hughes will all have to go through it too (being targets and drawing penalties to a certain point and still being targeted).

Don’t want to see any of our guys hurt, and definitely want Ferland back soon too.   The team pushed back tonight - it was a tough heavy game and we passed with flying colours.   Their goalie won the game for them.   Like your comment about JV, have seen that often on the forum, he’s built for the playoffs for sure...as are most of our forwards now.

Great summary. It was the type of game the Canucks have to experience as they evolve. The Blues are a big, fast team with lots of CUP experience. They are a more mature team and can pick their spots better because of it. As much as the Blues tightened up the ice the Canucks were still getting their chances. 

I thought both Leivo and Virtanen played well. Impressed with both of their puck retrieval efforts. I can see why Green might prefer their games versus Baer's in a heavy game. Like many on here I would love to see Jake get a tad more ice. He is a tantalizing player and noticeable on almost every shift. I am confident that Green is bringing him along at the right pace, just impatient. 

Not to be over harsh on Stecher but last night's game was another tough one. The Blues are big and heavy and that makes for a hard night. If you accept the shortfalls in the d-zone then you have to get some o-zone upside to compensate. Stecher can throw a nice pass and can skate well. He has to hit the net when he shoots and missed about 3 solid ops last night. Stecher has such a great attitude and has shown that he can adapt. 

• Upvote 1

Pretty good game.  It was eye opening to watch the blues play anytime they could throw a little casual interference into a play they would.

i thought OT was poorly managed J.T. Miller was gassed at the end of regulation and a fresh winger should have gone out with Horvat.  I wouldn’t have been opposed with EP going out with Horvat in that situation.  Virtanen was having a solid game.  I think we had the shootout advantage over St . Louis so probably would have preferred we didn’t sell out so hard for offense at the end but something we can learn from.

You never want to give up a 3 on 0, but once again the Canucks were the better team, IMO. Binnington just made one more save than Marky.

Considering it was looking like a loss up until three and a half minutes left. Against the defending Cup champs, take the point and move on. The team is playing well enough to win the majority of the time.....that's all a coach (and a fan base) can ask.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

The thing is.........we aren't winning in OT. We aren't always losing, but we aren't winning.

It's such a negative take on things. We broke through and got the point (points in 8 straight games). The no quit attitude of this team is excellent this year. We can't win them all and 3 on 3 won't happen in the postseason anyway. We have had close games against the defending Cup champs and it would be a hard fought playoff series that could go either way. Not bad company to be in. So we haven't "won" in OT yet, we have also handily won games to not even require OT. Our record and numbers speak for themselves, the team is doing just fine this year so far, so I will trust Green will get things in order. Not worried at all.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, milk and honey said:

Good point. These are games playoff teams get a point or sneak a win. Dumb OT mistake again but I am sure Travis Green will work on that. 

Points in 8straight games a good streak and st Louis might not be a main contender but they are still quality and a playoff team. Move onto the next one

Horvat line needs a little more something imo. Petey line is quality and getting most of the attention. We got a good 1punch but 2nd punch is lacking. Bottom 6 were solid for most part defensively and some chances going forward. 

Marky did good. We all know he is playing well with family stuff going on. His head might not be where it should be. Hopefully all is well though. 

Yip. Can almost guarantee Baer slots in with Bo next game.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Grape said:

Man, I defended Marky after the first OT loss for coming out to play the puck. But that's twice in a row where's he's made the wrong decision. This one was glaringly obvious that he should've came out to play the puck.

I'm not gonna put the game on him but that's disappointing to see.

your dissapointed?..............coulda shoulda woulda.... good lord Grapes

2 hours ago, milk and honey said:

How do you come to that conclusion?  Even with Tarasenko injured, they are still a top 5-6 team, imo