The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

Lol man you are delusional. You are just spewing nonsense without backing anything up with concrete evidence. I’m pretty sure there is a plan in place for the future cap issues. Miller is not a support player. He is more integral to this team than anybody not named Petey, Marky, or Hughes. 

Don’t argue with Alf. Doesn’t get anywhere. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Benning has been impatient all along and the team still managed to do badly enough to collect some high draft picks. And Benning (or Brackett) did a good job with those picks overall.  Not having a first or second round pick this year is a big cost. 

Good call by R3aL

Toffoli is a good player, but I am pretty sure this turns into a rental. For one thing, with EP and Hughes coming up for new contracts soon,, and Marky needing a new contract now, I don't see how the Canucks have cap room to re-sign Toffoli. If they do, I don't see a lot of cap room for Virtanen or Tanev to be re-signed. 

Schaller is not much more than a replacement-level player so he is no loss and this saves some cap space. Being willing to take Schaller was a concession by LA. 

So this trade is basically a short-term rental of Toffoli in return for Madden and a 2nd round pick. Madden is a very good prospect who would have been cost-controlled and in the system for years. The Canucks are trading that away to improve their playoff hopes this year. If the Canucks make the playoffs, okay. At least there is some return. But if they don't, I think Benning should be fired.

As for Brackett, I don't expect him to be back unless he gets a promotion to AGM. I get the sense that there is some friction between him and Benning. And he won't like this deal. Madden was Brackett's guy.  Drafting is the one thing this team has done well and this is Brackett's reward. 

Benning is selling the farm to try to make the playoffs this year -- the trade for Miller (which has worked out well), overpaying Myers as a UFA (which improved the D, but at high cost that will haunt the team later when they have to re-sign Hughes and EP ). With Ericksson, Beagle and Roussel all on the books for a while yet I see cap problems.   

If the Canucks have worked out a deal with Toffoli's agent to re-sign him for a reasonable cap hit, I will take all this back. He would be a great guy to have around for the next few years. 

But, if not, I don't like this deal. 

How do you know they won't have a first this season?  He'll have some big chips to play at the draft.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Really glad they aren't even going to try again this season. I think there's a really high chance that he's done permanently, but time will tell. Sucks for him, but he needs to think about his long-term health for his family as well. He has young kids who need him around without a completely scrambled brain.

All of this. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, xereau said:

Burked explained the pick thing this weekend, saying that each time you drop down, you are talking exponential loss in value, like 3x per tier. so a 4th is really worth 1/9th of a 2nd. and only a third of a 3rd.

Turning a guy thats unproven (TM) + 2nd into a proven playoff top 6 warrior, I am not sure how anyone can be upset at this?

I'm pretty sure that Benning's gonna lock him up too.

Surrounding bona fide superstar talent with proven winners, is how you win in this league.

Picks, especially deep picks, are over rated for the most part.

Oh, and chances are, we replace these picks with outgoing parts too.

2 things here,

other than the Sedins and Pronger, (2x2 OA +3OA) who did Burke ever draft?

and we might recoup the 4th, but Jim has shown no skill at recouping high picks, we don't have an extra Bieksa hanging around to trade for  a 2nd and I don't see Loui, Sutter, Leivo or Benn pulling in a 2nd, but we'll see, I guess

5 minutes ago, 6string said:

Making the playoffs and putting in a strong show will grow on Tyler Chipolte ( see earlier posts ) playing in a red hot Canadian hockey market.

I'm sure Benning had some talk with his agent about his market value to be sure to retain him going forward.

I support this deal!

1615973980_FORWARDTOGETHER.thumb.jpg.b02ba6830fdfeef1f7d734ff7301b5e4.jpg

Canucks 420.JPG

Just now, The.Burrowers said:

and you sound like the posters after all the other crappy rental trades we have made in the past.

Uh huh

How many actual rentals has Benning traded for exactly?  Just out of curiosity.

Your minds made up.  That's fine.  No need to continue with each other.  From here on out it's all whining on your end and that's fine.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

I've already stated multiple times why I am using the word rental so I will not continue to repeat. If a grizzled poster such as yourself cannot comprehend why it is often disadvantageous to acquire pending UFAs for prospects/picks.... I really don't know what to tell you!

Doesn't change the fact that you're assuming the worst when that scenario is months away from playing out. Sad way to live.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s not about the fairness our value of the trade.  It’s about the timing.  Our young core, as many point out here, is still maturing.  We need those assets to use for trades to get support players when our young core is ready to compete for a Cup.  It’s too soon now.  In three seasons when our young core is mature enough to compete for a Cup, where will Miller and Tofoli be?  The picks given up to get them and Madden could be used at that time to get support players.  

They'll be with the Canucks hoisting the Stanley Cup!!! :gocan:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Hopefully Toffoli re-signs. Good top 6 winger, hard nosed 500 game vet, cup winner, familiarity with Pearson...

Tough to see a 2nd rnd pick go + Madden but whoever we would pick wouldve been 3 years away from playing, Madden 2years from the NHL... need to surround Petey, Hughes, Boeser and Bo with a win now core. This should be a fun playoff drive.

3 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Well he will have to. Doesn't change my point...You are wrong when you say Ferland being on LTIR won't affect the team or it's cap structure.

Ferland's cap hit (even when he is on LTIR) will count towards the total cap. Since we likely will not pay for any performance bonuses this season, the league will force us to pay for the 2019/20 bonuses next season. So we will need to be about $3-4m under the cap ceiling next season including Ferland's cap hit.

Every season, we hear about how we won't have cap space, and every season, we wind up with enough cap space to cover things. It always works out, we always have other players who wind up on LTIR, it happens EVERY year, without exception.

• Cheers 1

yeah i was dreaming too that Madden would be the next P Kane type of player because I'm always dreaming about some glorious future roster and maybe Rob Blake is doing the same right now, dreaming.  Truthfully, was having a tough time penciling Madden in because of size and didn't have him in front of Podz and Hogs.   Looking at LA's roster, chances are Madden is a better fit for them and has a legit chance of being a player for them.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Maybe he doesn't like rain, high taxes and travel? 

Maybe he likes big cities like NY and LA?

He'll consider it for sure just so many variables.

High taxes there as well but I get ypur point.

Hoping for the best.

Edited by Tystick

4 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Lol man you are delusional. You are just spewing nonsense without backing anything up with concrete evidence. I’m pretty sure there is a plan in place for the future cap issues. Miller is not a support player. He is more integral to this team than anybody not named Petey, Marky, or Hughes. 

You’re pretty sure there is a plan in place to sign all our coming free agents?  Explain this plan.  

And im not delusional; I’m drunk. :P

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Any chance we can get LE an appointment with the quack who helped Hossa fake his equipment issue?

Man I think he’s gone this summer. Maybe I’m optimistic but I can’t help but think that’s what some of the meeting last year were about and how Green has been playing him. (Going out with a bit of purpose). He’s lost about 4 steps and it will be another one next year. I don’t think Loui wants to go to the minors next year and I think this year was about making some $ a bonus this summer and retirement. Maybe a last raw at the playoffs 

4 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This is a terrible line of thinking that will just lead to more problems down the line.

Do you want MORE dead cap space when we want to re-sign Pettersson and Hughes? Because that would be how you get it.

Just because you don't understand the "accounting" side of management doesn't mean it's not important. 

i'm sure you will explain it to me

go ahead

do you use line of credit?
that is all bumping bonuses amounts to

it allows you to manage expenses outside of strict repayment plan

this are minor amounts

but feel free to make a mountain out of them

i'm sure you will try to