The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

13 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Maybe JB should threaten to trade Jake more often lol. It looks like maybe he is finally getting the message that unless he comes to play hard for every minute he is on the ice; his spot on the team is not a gimmie.

Or maybe Green just give him more than a period playing in the top 6 so he can actually get comfortable and get in a groove

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I'm super happy that he's producing. He needs to build off this, but let's not get carried away either; both goals were flukes lol. He was driving to the net, good things happen when he does that.

These days, a lot of goals scored are flukes, but more than just scoring last night, he was engaged and was a physical force everytime he was on the ice. 

That's all I need to see.

• Cheers 1

2 goals was a nice outcome for Jake. I was also impressed with his play away from the puck. Finishing checks and good positioning. His defensive play on a back check prevented a big scoring op. Jake ranks right near the top for Van forwards on scoring ops off the rush. 

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I'm super happy that he's producing. He needs to build off this, but let's not get carried away either; both goals were flukes lol.

How was his second goal a fluke, very curious?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, CR7 said:

I'm guessing bad angle combined with Garrett remarking several times Hutchinson wasn't set properly. It looked like he didn't expect Jake to shoot. But I'm glad that he did.

Edited by Gawdzukes

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm guessing bad angle combined with Garrett remarking several times Hutchinson wasn't set properly. It looked like he didn't expect Jake to shoot. But I'm glad that he did.

Not a fluke when the goalie is not ready, it's taking advantage of a situation. Was a perfectly placed shot, it's my go to move in my beer league, get in tight and wire it over the shoulder. Work out 1 in ever 100, but that 1 time is not a fluke lol

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

It comes down to getting out of his own way. JV is ineffective when he over thinks his game. His decision making becomes slow and he appears confused by what he is meant to do. When he is in the moment and flowing (bjj terms) his skill comes forward... and luck has an easier time finding him too. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Or maybe Green just give him more than a period playing in the top 6 so he can actually get comfortable and get in a groove

Perhaps a bit of both. Either way; I am glad to see him have a positive contribution on the team and hope he can repeat his performance tomorrow against the laughers. Canucks need all the help they can get and everyone pulling in the same direction in order to get back in the playoff hunt.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Perhaps a bit of both. Either way; I am glad to see him have a positive contribution on the team and hope he can repeat his performance tomorrow against the laughers. Canucks need all the help they can get and everyone pulling in the same direction in order to get back in the playoff hunt.

Agreed

1 hour ago, CR7 said:

'Fluke' might not be the best word but 9 out of 10 times a better goalie has that covered. Good on him to be skating and engaged last game to get the opportunity in the first place and being able to execute on what a 3rd string goalie left him. But that's not a goal that's likely to be replicated often or something to base hope for a trend on.

• Cheers 1

Next few games for Jake  will be his biggest in a Canucks uniform.  He has always shown flashes like last night, but then disappears for the next dozen games.  I genuinely believe this is his last shot with us, put up or shut up time.  I'm really pulling for him to show us what he's got, because I really don't want to see a guy with his upside get dealt.  I don't think we can win a trade that involves him.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Jake is so frustrating. The fact that he has this abiliy but instead plays like dog feces most nights. It was nice to see but it only really serves to illuminate what a lazy sac he is.

No kidding, he was an absolute horse last night. It’s too bad it took 27 games to get an inspired effort from him. Hopefully that’s a turning point and not just a one off because we could really use an effective JV18. If he plays like that I like this teams chances to battle back in the division

5 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

No kidding, he was an absolute horse last night. It’s too bad it took 27 games to get an inspired effort from him. Hopefully that’s a turning point and not just a one off because we could really use an effective JV18. If he plays like that I like this teams chances to battle back in the division

Wouldn't get my hoped up.

Maybe we should dress him as a left wing more often.  That power forward move he pulled on the first goal was because Hughes caught him in stride with the pass then he put down his shoulder and drove to the net.  It's straightforward but effective, maybe moreso than having him carry in as a RW and try to cycle or snipe often (which isn't really his game).

30 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Maybe we should dress him as a left wing more often.  That power forward move he pulled on the first goal was because Hughes caught him in stride with the pass then he put down his shoulder and drove to the net.  It's straightforward but effective, maybe moreso than having him carry in as a RW and try to cycle or snipe often (which isn't really his game).

He never really does any cycle stuff. He immediately goes to the front of the net in the ozone.

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

'Fluke' might not be the best word but 9 out of 10 times a better goalie has that covered. Good on him to be skating and engaged last game to get the opportunity in the first place and being able to execute on what a 3rd string goalie left him. But that's not a goal that's likely to be replicated often or something to base hope for a trend on.

9 times out of 10, whatever you do an NHL goalie is going to stop it. So any one occasion if you score it is likely to take some luck. But if you crash the net 10 times and get one goal, that goal is not luck, same as that over the shoulder shot, try it 10 times and get one goal, it's not really luck.

If Jake continues to crash the net like that and take shots like that, he will get his share. I hope he does because he needs 11 more goals this year for me to win a bet. I think at this point my chances are about the same as the Canucks chances of making the playoffs.

• Cheers 2