The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The 3 "bad" trades...

BlackRedYellow

I stand corrected.

My point is that Sutter has shown nothing over the last five years to warrant the contract he was given. He's been a steady, reliable third liner and not much more. Now it's fair to assume with a greater role he might be able to grow as a player, but at 26 years old there's only so much more a guy can prove to offer.

Benning put a lot of blind faith in Sutter who he clearly believes to be one of the best bottom six players in the game.

How do you crack the top 6 when the other centres are Crosby & Malkin? Hell, Jonathan Toews would have a tough time being anything but a third liner with that much centre talent in front of him.

Sutter is already on pace to absolutely destroy his career highs & he hasn't been playing over his head. Fantastic pick up by Benning.

And the 'great' trades...ie Hamilton - who was supposed to instantly make Calgary a contender....

I'm not so sure that deal will look so great down the road.

As a rival, I think I'd prefer the Flames with Hamilton as opposed to the Flames with, say...(the guys that could have been had at 15, 45, and 52)...

Matthew Barzal

and

Brendan Guhle

and 

Jeremy Lauzon

(or Nattinen, Sprong, Chlapik, JFK...take your picks)

If I'm Calgary, I personally might prefer those three pieces in my prospect pool....

I didn't like or understand  the Prust/Kassian trade at first, it looked like we were giving up a talented young player for an older grinder.

The truth is, no one knew the whole story and the issues with Kassian. As well, on the surface Prust looks like an old grinder but he has shown himself to be a great team mate and has been excellent in his work mentoring the younger players. I am on board with this move with one small reservation in that it remains to be seen if Prust remains with this team beyond the trade deadline.

I remember not being being a fan of the summer trades at the time and a bit disappointed with the Kassian trade, but only took the pre-season to change my mind on all three trades. Dealing Kassian was well timed. I thought at the time it was because of injuries and just didn't have the durability anymore. Then he gets involved a car accident and is put into re-hab? Didn't see that one coming.

As well as Miller is playing right now, I'm still not a fan of keeping him over Lack. Funny thing is, I wanted to roll with the young guys last season and not bother signing the veteran free agents. At the time, the consensus seemed to be that it would "ruin" the development of the rookies, or some such nonsense.

Now it seems that many of those same people are unhappy with the ice time being allotted to them...

I'll admit to being wrong about Kassian, although his personal issues at the the time of the trade were hearsay and I don't count hearsay when judging the value of a trade.

The Sutter deal I was fine with from the get go.

I still maintain my stance on the Kassian deal.  Not a fan.  Regardless of what situation Kassian is now, he still is the better player and has youth and potential.

It's pretty hard to be the better player when you're stuck in rehab, & his youth & potential is quickly being squandered. Frankly I think he's a long shot to make it back in the NHL, it's the final year on his contract & he's burnt bridges. Hopefully he can get his life straightened out, but Prust is on pace to crush Kass's numbers from last season.

Prust is without a doubt the better player...Kass doesn't even play hockey at the moment.

To date;

Sutter: always liked the deal. Superior FO%, better ozone finish, wicked shot

Prust: won't talk about Kassian. Prust was brought in as a character player who defends his teammates. Important stuff for a team in transition to a younger roster.

Lack: I admit I was in the Lack camp. His results to date in Carolina have to be considered in terms of his team out front. I still

consider him a #1 tender. That said Miller is playing great goal. The deal will eventually be graded on how well Markstrom plays. 

It doesn't matter what team is in front of you. A #1 tender gets a Vezina with a $&!# team… not an 83% SP.

Carolina isn't even that bad.. just no D.. shows the difference between Vancouver's "bad" D and Carolina's.

It doesn't matter what team is in front of you. A #1 tender gets a Vezina with a $&!# team… not an 83% SP.

Carolina isn't even that bad.. just no D.. shows the difference between Vancouver's "bad" D and Carolina's.

No a Vezina caliber goalie gets a Vezina with $&!# team. How many goalies with great numbers have gone from a good team to a bad one only to bomb? Ask Edmonton or Toronto. Sometimes it's even reversed, like with Dubnyk.

Lack trade will be determined on how Markstrom plays. Miller was always gonna stay here.

Sutter is better than Bonino and Matthias. He has pretty much been our Swiss army knife because he has been pretty useful in whatever situation he has been put in.

Kassian never fit the description of how we wanted our new core to be. His personal issues emphasize that. Prust fits our team during this transition. He has been pretty useful thus far.

So far so good.

Sutter's contract is a bit on the high end. In a couple of years, when Horvat, McCann and maybe Cassels are going to be the top 3 centremen, where does that leave Sutter?

What if a team was offering a 1st rounder for Miller? Would the Lack trade still make sense?

Once Kassian kicks his habit and Prust is long gone, we'll revisit this trade. Let's see what we can get for Prust during the trade deadline.

Sutter is basically a Kesler 2.0.  He was brought in to provide the same type of play that Kesler brought. 

Good shot - not as good as kes’

Strong defensively - can shut down other teams top players

Grit -not afraid to drive to the net and work in the dirty areas

Strong on the dot

Strong work ethic. 

And both have the ability to go beast mode in the playoffs.

As well as Miller is playing right now, I'm still not a fan of keeping him over Lack. Funny thing is, I wanted to roll with the young guys last season and not bother signing the veteran free agents. At the time, the consensus seemed to be that it would "ruin" the development of the rookies, or some such nonsense.

Now it seems that many of those same people are unhappy with the ice time being allotted to them...

I'll admit to being wrong about Kassian, although his personal issues at the the time of the trade were hearsay and I don't count hearsay when judging the value of a trade.

Pretty much my sentiment. Miller's a good goalie, I however would have preferred going with the two younger and cheaper guys and upgrading the D more. Neither is particularly 'wrong', just different ways of doing things. Glad that Miller's doing well though since we did keep him.

Same on Kassian. Though I wasn't terribly upset about the trade for Prust so meh.

Sutter deal I was ecstatic about at the time. Seems to be working out.

There was much criticism made over the value of the contracts for Prust and Sutter given their previous production. Although early days, both are ahead of the curve right now. 

Sutter was criticized as not being a passer due to having a low assists totals. Last year he had 12 and already has 4 through 9 games. Does anyone actually think he will only put up 8 more all year, even if he doesn't keep up his current pace? You'd be utterly pessimistic to think so. He's on pace now for a 27-36=63 season. 

Prust only had 18 points last year with 14 assists. He currently has 5 already. Even if we can't expect him to keep the pace, he certainly looks like a good bet to match or beat his last season totals. 

These early season returns should make anyone pause and reassess their initial reservations. 

I was on an "Anyone but Bonino" campaign half way through last year so was happy to hear the Sutter trade.  Sutter's contract is concerning though.

Lack traded.  I won't comment on that.  My username should say it all.

My issues are with trading away 2 second rounders for Vey and Baertschi.  High draft picks are really important.  Stop trading them for mediocre players.

The reason for Vey & Baertschi trades is weak drafting, we had no prospects in the eyes of the GM that were ready to step into the NHL in the next few years they thought our 18-20 year olds were years away. The solid drafts and extra first rounders we have had in the last couple years allowed for them to trade some of our picks for younger players they felt could step in now obviously the gamble didn't work (yet) and the emergence of Hutton, McCann and Virts makes it look very bone headed but you know what they say about hindsight.  

Hey guys...

During the summer these pages on CDC were crowded by members shouting out how bad JB did regarding especially three trades;

Sutter for Bones

Miller instead of Lack

Prust for Kass

So ok, so far these trades seems to be game winners for JB!

before preseason...

anybody who thinks Bonino is a better player than Sutter should kick themselves in the junk immediately

7 months before JB signed Miller...

Miller's been an absolute monster lately, especially last night.

People who call him overrated obviously don't watch him

day after the Prust trade...

A lot of the the people slamming Prust are going to change their tune once they watch him play.

A little success of a prospect last year (Horvat) goes to people's heads. They immediately forget that Horvat was brought along slowly and they want the excitement we had with BO at the end of the year from Virtanen, McCann, Hutton, Baertschi, etc. right now. Even then we didn't have luck with Vey, Clendening and Corrado at the NHL level so to expect all of the above to pan out right away (or at all) is just CDC CDC'ing.

Personally I think JB got taken to the cleaners by Calgary in the Beatrschi trade, Lack wasn't much of a return but in the end the kid they got back with the pick seems like he might.  be OK ( we won't know for another 3-4 years )  I'm not impressed with Bartkowski  and frankly I gave up counting the number of give aways Sbisa made. Better a draft choice than Sbiza. Clendening was a dumping of a good prospect Forsling . (Some trades were OK but we paid too much and and took up too much of the Cap and restricting manouvering as the year progresses. The C$ is not on track to rise in value for the forseeable future ( I hope they bought a lot of USA $ futures )

Personally I think JB got taken to the cleaners by Calgary in the Beatrschi trade, Lack wasn't much of a return but in the end the kid they got back with the pick seems like he might.  be OK ( we won't know for another 3-4 years )  I'm not impressed with Bartkowski  and frankly I gave up counting the number of give aways Sbisa made. Better a draft choice than Sbiza. Clendening was a dumping of a good prospect Forsling . (Some trades were OK but we paid too much and and took up too much of the Cap and restricting manouvering as the year progresses. The C$ is not on track to rise in value for the forseeable future ( I hope they bought a lot of USA $ futures )

The Vey deal was the worst. LA had no room for him on their roster.  It's possible that we could have gotten him for less! We traded a 2nd for a 4th rounder from a team that had no room or use for him.

I didn't check my facts on that one, but even if he wasn't waiver eligible at the time, he definitely wasn't worth a 2nd.

Archived